X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Computers
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 August 2005 - 02:42 AM

That's right, MS is finally going all out on an attack on xbox modding. I'm not joking here. My friend got banned from xbox LIVE a couple days ago. Still modded and working, but no xbox LIVE. My other friend updates to a new, unbanned EEPROM and a new hard drive. Back on LIVE. Hit the switch to modded, and it runs like the biggest pos ever. Seriously, it looks like it is running at a half frame per second, and it took me over an hour just to format his hard drive ( to no avail ). After formatting, I installed MS Dash and EvoX on C. Boot with chip off, MS Dash loads, works fine, running fast. Great. Set switch on, and it is the same thing (slow as hell, takes five minutes for the bios logo to go off and the dash to load) It's on the same partition as the MS Dash, too. So, I was like, maybe it's the chip. I grab some exploits and throw them on the memory card and then onto the xbox. I was thinking, well, if the MS Dash works, and a softmod runs off of the MS Dash, then maybe that will work. After transferring the exploit from the memory card to the xbox hard drive, I pop in the game. It doesn't load, but it shows an error message. Not the usual "Your xbox can't recognize this disc..." It says "Your xbox requires service". So I try a different exploitable game. Same thing. I delete the exploits and the games run fine. Somehow, some way MS has found a way to make (at least this xbox) unmoddable.

#2 Breakthrough

Breakthrough

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 02:45 AM

Never heard of anything, but sounds like a freak accident to me...

#3 br0w

br0w

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 02:46 AM

its unfair to say that MS has "made an all out attack on modding". you have only witnessed this on one xbox. unless you have proven this with multiple xbox's, you shouldnt make random claims.

#4 THDVL

THDVL

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 14 August 2005 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE(Textbook @ Aug 13 2005, 09:53 PM)
It says "Your xbox requires service".  So I try a different exploitable game.  Same thing.  I delete the exploits and the games run fine.  Somehow, some way MS has found a way to make (at least this xbox) unmoddable.

View Post

Chip it.

#5 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 02:52 AM

I am definitely guessing that it will happen to every single xbox that gets banned for modified content from this point out, so we'll just have to see.

#6 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 02:59 AM

QUOTE(THDVL @ Aug 13 2005, 10:02 PM)
Chip it.

View Post

It is chipped, and it still does it. Whether I try to run off of SlaYer's or EvoX on C. It is messed up!

#7 fierygt

fierygt

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 14 August 2005 - 03:06 AM

Until more verified examples are encountered, and proven, you might want to chalk this problem up to internal malfunctions, which have occured from other circumstances.

#8 MonsterTy

MonsterTy

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 14 August 2005 - 03:12 AM

Here's a thought :

Use your modded XBox to play your backups and whatever else it is you want to do, and get a second XBox to play on LIVE! with. Alot of us here do that.

"Somehow, some way MS has found a way to make (at least this xbox) unmoddable"

My feeling is thats pretty much impossible, considering it was modded before. But I'm no expert. As long as you have the ability to erase the HDD, ANYTHING software wise that MS could have put on the HDD during some sort of LIVE! update can be removed. It sounds to me like the HDD is taking a poo. I had a 40 gig lying around that I put in my XBox one night, and it was the same way (as far as being slow and taking forever to format). Then I put it in my PC to discover it was acting the same. So I tossed it. Now, my 250 gig HDD in the same Xbox works fine, as has any other HDD I've put in it.

Edited by MonsterTy, 14 August 2005 - 03:20 AM.

#9 blame canada

blame canada

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 03:12 AM

QUOTE(Textbook @ Aug 13 2005, 08:53 PM)
That's right, MS is finally going all out on an attack on xbox modding.  I'm not joking here.  My friend got banned from xbox LIVE a couple days ago.  Still modded and working, but no xbox LIVE.  My other friend updates to a new, unbanned EEPROM and a new hard drive.  Back on LIVE.  Hit the switch to modded, and it runs like the biggest pos ever.  Seriously, it looks like it is running at a half frame per second, and it took me over an hour just to format his hard drive ( to no avail ).  After formatting, I installed MS Dash and EvoX on C.  Boot with chip off, MS Dash loads, works fine, running fast.  Great.  Set switch on, and it is the same thing (slow as hell, takes five minutes for the bios logo to go off and the dash to load)  It's on the same partition as the MS Dash, too.  So, I was like, maybe it's the chip.  I grab some exploits and throw them on the memory card and then onto the xbox.  I was thinking, well, if the MS Dash works, and a softmod runs off of the MS Dash, then maybe that will work.  After transferring the exploit from the memory card to the xbox hard drive, I pop in the game.  It doesn't load, but it shows an error message.  Not the usual "Your xbox can't recognize this disc..."  It says "Your xbox requires service".  So I try a different exploitable game.  Same thing.  I delete the exploits and the games run fine.  Somehow, some way MS has found a way to make (at least this xbox) unmoddable.

View Post

I guess if m$ really is doing something about this then I guess softmods are no longer safe for live

#10 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE(fierygt @ Aug 13 2005, 10:17 PM)
Until more verified examples are encountered, and proven, you might want to chalk this problem up to internal malfunctions, which have occured from other circumstances.

View Post

Alright, let's see here.

Maybe it's the hard drive? Nope, MS Dash (on C drive runs fine) EvoX won't run off DVD or on the C drive.

Maybe it's the chip? Nope, I can't even softmod or TSOP the xbox.

#11 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 03:24 AM

It doesn't load, but it shows an error message. Not the usual "Your xbox can't recognize this disc..." It says "Your xbox requires service".

I have seen this a few times..... every time is was a hardrive going bad.... try a different hardrive....betcha it fixes it.

#12 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 03:30 AM

QUOTE(StrictPuppet @ Aug 13 2005, 10:35 PM)
I have seen this a few times..... every time is was a hardrive going bad.... try a different  hardrive....betcha it fixes it.

View Post

Nope.

#13 thewickedjester

thewickedjester

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 03:34 AM

Ok, lets look at why "MS is making an attack on modding" makes no sense.

Because its illegal.

Thats right, its illegal for them to cause our hardware, which we were doing nothing illegally with (even if we were, it isnt marshal law on this shit, they cant mess with us unless they contact authorities) our xbox's, to stop working/keep it from working properly. Why? Because its our property.

Would Chevy attach a bomb to your car for dropping a 457 Big Block into a late model Camaro? No, because once you pay for it, its yours. By going on Live with a modded xbox you break the end user agreement and as they state they retain the right to ban you but not fuck with your shit, simply put.

Its something wrong with your hardware.

Nope.

Have you tried? Heres the thing, there are people saying "Hey, we have a fix" and your telling them they are wrong without even trying it.

Edited by thewickedjester, 14 August 2005 - 03:35 AM.

#14 SilentAssasin64

SilentAssasin64

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 August 2005 - 04:35 AM

QUOTE(thewickedjester @ Aug 13 2005, 09:45 PM)
Ok, lets look at why "MS is making an attack on modding" makes no sense.

Because its illegal.

Thats right, its illegal for them to cause our hardware, which we were doing nothing illegally with (even if we were, it isnt marshal law on this shit, they cant mess with us unless they contact authorities) our xbox's, to stop working/keep it from working properly. Why? Because its our property.

Would Chevy attach a bomb to your car for dropping a 457 Big Block into a late model Camaro? No, because once you pay for it, its yours. By going on Live with a modded xbox you break the end user agreement and as they state they retain the right to ban you but not fuck with your shit, simply put.

Its something wrong with your hardware.
Have you tried? Heres the thing, there are people saying "Hey, we have a fix" and your telling them they are wrong without even trying it.

View Post

You just got told. But anyway...nicely put.

Edited by SilentAssasin64, 14 August 2005 - 04:36 AM.

#15 oxjeremy334

oxjeremy334

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts
  • Interests:Being a Rhinestone Cowboy
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 14 August 2005 - 04:43 AM

I have seen the half a frame per second deal...the problem was that I had to reformat the hdd with evox (no, reformatting it on the computer will not work...it must be reformatted with an xbox based tool, because I had the exact same problem after reformatting it on a computer). It takes ass long to load up the evox disc to reformat, but I have put 150 gb worth of stuff back on my 250 gb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users