2 replies to this topic

#1 linkycat

linkycat

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 06:54 PM

Before I dive head on into this pile of mumbly jumbly hard drive replacement with a softmod, I thought I'd ask a question.

I have a laptop, and a desktop. My laptop is new and has my DVD burner in, but my desktop is older and doesn't have any sort of a DVD drive. Only CDRW

If I FTP my files to my laptop and make my "boot disc" for the new hard drive there, can I make it on a CDRW? Or is it too big, and will only fit on a DVD?

If it fits on a CDRW, then I can use my desktop to do the swap as I would never have to put a DVD in the drive... but if I can't I guess I need to go buy a DVD drive for my desktop.

Thanks for the info

- Matt

#2 jh8

jh8

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 07:41 PM

What u could do is just unlock both drives and clone ur old xbox hdd onto ur new hdd.

Also u can create a xbhdm boot disk with ur eeprom and use this to format and lock ur new hdd allowing u to install it in ur xbox. Then u can ftp ur old files from ur desktop to ur xbox. Refer to "xbhdm for dummies" thread for more info.

Also I recommend using ur desktop to work with the drives as some of the programs required only work with desktops.

Also if u create a boot disk with just the files essential to get the new hdd up and running, inclusding the eeprom, then u should have more than enought space to burn the .iso on a cdrw.

Good Luck

#3 linkycat

linkycat

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 09:06 PM

Thanks, the last part was just the answer I was looking for... the rest I'm up to par on!

I, as always, appreciate the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users