• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pHo

pHo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:53 AM

Ok, i'll try summarise my situation without boring you all to death.

Till yesterday, my xbox was a standard store bought (altho secondhand) box with no upgraded HDD and the software exploit so it had evox and a bunch of apps (XBMC being my most used.) Nice enough setup for me.

A friend then offered his x3 upgraded hdd (40gb he believed) box for sale, so I thought.. I could keep that xbox, then sell on mine for a slight loss. My friend seems up for the deal because she knows I can get her games, tv shows etc...

But here's the problem. Brought the new xbox back.. sodding Philips drive in it. Only one brand of my DVDRs tried so far works, so all my games I might's well give away and tons of my media discs will have to be streamed from the PC DVDROM.

So I have two choices...

1. Sell on the xbox to my friend, give her all my games and just start afresh and be really careful about which blanks I buy from now on.

2. Switch the drives and be honest (I don't wanna missell the xbox, I said she could have my xbox, not my xbox with different parts) saying it'll only play certain media. But as I'll be the main person giving them stuff, it shouldn't be too bad. The drive in my current xbox is a Thomson.. not all my old games were even burnt that well so aren't perfect anyway.

3. Keep the drives the way they are, then buy a Thomson or Samsung off ebay and switch em.

I'm presuming its a simple enough operation, nothing more needed than a screw driver ?

What would you do in my position?

(Damn the new XBOX is loud! must be the HDD inside it.. jeez! Now to find stuff I couldn't do with the old box I can with the new.. play Jade Empire DVD9 is pretty much all I've thought of so far hehe)

edit::

oops, I thought I was in the Gen Hardware forum.. if someone doesn't mind moving this that'd be appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by pHo, 15 August 2005 - 12:55 AM.

#2 Genezis

Genezis

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 August 2005 - 01:18 AM

Personally I'd buy a bigger hard drive and keep my backups on it. I've never liked having many DVDs/CDs laying around everywhere. You could sell that 40 gb one for a small price to counter the price of a bigger one a bit. Then I'd go with choice one (erasing out the "careful when choosing blanks" part).

If that isn't a desireable choice, I'd go with choice 3. Samsung stocks are usually the best stock drives you can get (although Thomsons can be nicer with DVDs, but those bastards are horrible with CD-Rs). Selling your stock Phillips would counter the price of a "new"/used Samsung a bit or perhaps completely.

P.S. I don't know how large of a game collection you have, but perhaps 40 gb is enough?

Hope I've been of some help in your decision making.

--------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

Changing the DVD drive isn't hard no. Just 6 screws to open the Xbox, 3 more to remove the HDD and DVD trays. If your new DVD drive (IF you buy a new one that is) comes with the tray you'll just slam that in and put and screw everything back together. If it's just the drive you'll have to remove your old one from the tray first.

That is done by pushing it on either side until you release the small tabs (you should be able to see one on each side), then you slide it out (you'll see that one of the legs is in two pieces, you push that down and then slide the drive out).

Pretty easy once you figure out the tabs on each side (I was always trying to push the leg that is in two pieces far enough down to remove it, but you'll break the tray that way).

Edited by Genezis, 15 August 2005 - 01:30 AM.

#3 pHo

pHo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:45 AM

Hi Genezis, thanks for the reply.. appreciated.

I need to find out the size of the HDD, I'm sure one of the tools on evox (looks like evox to me anyway, I'm used to running a much older version, but I've used a new one once and it looks the same) will bring up the stats, otherwise when I ftp in I can do some calculations I'm sure. 40gb isn't as big as I'd like.. but hey, it's better than default. I'll change it over one day when I need to, atm it'll be for storing DVD9 games before I get bored of them, and things like that. I don't mind using DVDRs for games, I don't tend to play em an awful lot, but I do like a nice collection in my wallets. Its as much my media (I'm a big big XBMC fan!) that I want to work... I've spoken to my friend and she doesn't seem to mind the idea of me swapping the drives. I can't see any benefit of me keeping the philips drive, so I'll probably do that. Something is making a hellava noise tho, it must be the hdd.. its over 2, 3x louder than my stock box! But it glows blue, so thats ok wink.gif

#4 Genezis

Genezis

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:01 PM

Here is a quote about the cons and pros of each drive:

Samsung drives: Handles CD-R very well, Handles all media well except "+R" DVD media. There have been a handful of reports of people having success with DVD+R media, but not enough to consider them reliable. Use DVD-R and DVD-RW for recordable DVD media. Any CD Recordable media will work well in this drive.

Philips drives: Any recordable DVD media should be fine with this drive. There are sporadic reports of success with CD-R media, but do not rely on this - it will more likely NOT work on your system. Of course, CD-RW should work well with this drive.

Thomson drives: Any recordable DVD media should be fine with this drive. CD-R media does not work with this drive; you cannot tweak the drive to handle this media, either. Of course, CD-RW works with this drive, but media can be very picky, and your drive MAY require tweaking (last resort).

Basically,

Samsung = Everything but DVD+R
Philips = Should be everything but CD-R (may work fine)
Thomson = Same as Philips, but might be even pickier with CDs

Edited by Genezis, 15 August 2005 - 08:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users