X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:16 AM

I know I know.."enough with the jaggies talk"

I apologize for setting higher standards for my beloved eyes, and theres no fuggin excuse for a tennis game, with a small crowd, a few buildings, 2 characters, a ball and a fuggin net, to look this horrid.

And NO its not EA thats making it, wtf is going on here blink.gif

Games like this, with few characters on screen, and small arenas should be so detailed that our eyes would be tricked to believe its real.

I cant lay down and take it like others, I cannot and will not.

These are dated for today...

http://xbox360media....15072601083.jpg
http://xbox360media....15072559786.jpg
http://xbox360media....15072558489.jpg

start thinking of excuses now....like they dont have newer dev kits, or theyve been working nonstop and developing games while sitting in their own scat. None will matter, its poop grr.gif

I also figured we needed some jaggy talk about a game other than Tiger Woods, start the flaming!! Im ready!!

pop.gif

beerchug.gif

Edited by Deftech, 16 August 2005 - 05:17 AM.

#2 VariableElite

VariableElite

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE(Deftech @ Aug 15 2005, 11:27 PM)
start thinking of excuses now....like they dont have newer dev kits, or theyve been working nonstop and developing games while sitting in their own scat. None will matter, its poop  grr.gif

View Post

Actually, those look really impressive. You see, it's not that the game is jaggy, it's that the courts, players, buildings, and whatnot that they used as source models are.

biggrin.gif

I'm sure they're working on it, man. But I'm with you, they look like crap. I'd rather them not release these kinds of pics at all, or at least with a watermark saying

Resolution: 1024x576
Anti-aliasing: off
Anistropic filtering: off

so that it's obvious that it will get better.

#3 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 06:29 AM

QUOTE(VariableElite @ Aug 16 2005, 03:35 AM)
I'd rather them not release these kinds of pics at all

View Post

I couldnt agree more. It pains me because I know people are out there saying "thats 360?!?"

maybe I should stop posting such horrid things?

sad.gif

#4 corkinator

corkinator

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:19 AM

Is Top Spin even being made by the same developers again? I know MS got rid of the game and 2K Sports now own it, but did they grab the original team too?

Seems strange because the stars had their own animations in Top Spin but the clips for Top Spin 2 showing the new player Federer with totally wrong animations, for example a jumping two-handed back hand when he is clearly a one handed player and rarely (if ever) jumps into shots. Pretty dodgy.

Seems like a quick update rather than any real improvement. Trying to make a quick buck on a game that wasn't even that good. More like a decent arcade tennis game. Smash Court 2 on PS2 was much better, regardless of the lower quality visuals.

#5 Twasi

Twasi

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:27 AM

It's normal for launch games to look like shit, Just look at gears of war. The developers are hardpressed for time to make the launch in just a few months. I don't expect much from launch games from any system. Alot of the games are using only one core which will make the 360 just a little bit more powerful than the Xbox.

#6 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, body building, video games

Posted 16 August 2005 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE(Twasi @ Aug 16 2005, 10:38 AM)
It's normal for launch games to look like shit, Just look at gears of war. The developers are hardpressed for time to make the launch in just a few months. I don't expect much from launch games from any system. Alot of the games are using only one core which will make the 360 just a little bit more powerful than the Xbox.

View Post

halo 1 was a launch game......

IMO, still the best game on the xbox....

The graphics still rate in the top 10 xbox games.....

#7 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:11 PM

yeah that does look like crap...

Tennis games are usually some of best looking games on any system... due to the fact that there isn't much to render... you have a cort and 2 players and the rest is fluff... the court can be done with as little as 2 figgin polygons meaning that all the detail can go into making the characters look as real as possible...

I attribute the crappyness to
-jaggies, in tennis games jaggies especially across the top of the net is annoying as hell
-lack of shaddows/read time lighting... seriously where are the player's shaddows?
-poor character modesl, the models are OK in spots and crap in others... the legs and faces look pretty good but the arms and clothing look horrid.
-incorrect resolution... if it's not 1280x720 it's not a true screenshot IMO.

At this point the current gen Top Spin honestly looks better than this

I agree.. why bother releasing pictures.

As for people getting disappointed with next gen screenshots... only us nerds who care about the 360 look at these things... my non-nerdy friends who inquire... I show them the PRG3 trailer and the WarDevil trailer... that's all they need to see pop.gif

#8 LowProfileWurm

LowProfileWurm

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:37 PM

I couldn't agree more than a Tennis game should be mindblowing in the same vein as Fight Night Round 3's tech demo. There simply isn't that much to deal with on screen. But, I can only offer my own rational: It will look better in motion. I'm hoping that games like this get a final coating of AA before the final build and that it will look stunning in motion. That's the only thing I can come up with...

#9 m_hael

m_hael

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:30 PM

I know nothing about the actual game however - its a tennis game so its likely to hit ALL platforms in order to recoup meaning its working with assets designed for ps2 and upressing. The upshot is that its GOING to look like exactly that... an upressed ps2 game.

The jaggies here WILL NOT be in the final game however. That image is NOT 720p (minimum resolution) and therefore we can safely assume its also not 2xFSAA which is the MINIMUM allowed AA.

I'd just stop looking at pics unless they ARE 720p resolutions Deftech... oh.. and you're still a graphics whore.

#10 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE(m_hael @ Aug 16 2005, 01:41 PM)
I know nothing about the actual game however - its a tennis game so its likely to hit ALL platforms in order to recoup meaning its working with assets designed for ps2 and upressing. The upshot is that its GOING to look like exactly that... an upressed ps2 game.

The jaggies here WILL NOT be in the final game however. That image is NOT 720p (minimum resolution) and therefore we can safely assume its also not 2xFSAA which is the MINIMUM allowed AA.

I'd just stop looking at pics unless they ARE 720p resolutions Deftech... oh.. and you're still a graphics whore.

View Post

yes sir, that I am. Glad to see youre up and around posting, I know youre busy but we need more input from you in these days of unrest tongue.gif

#11 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:38 PM

halo 1 was a launch game......

IMO, still the best game on the xbox....

The graphics still rate in the top 10 xbox games.....

yea while the other games (with the exception of doa3) looked like crap. Another reason is halo was a first party game, those devs usually get certain "luxuries" that third parties dont get. History will tell you that most first party devs generally have better looking games.

I dont agree that halo1 is still in the top 10 best looking xbox games but it was pretty good looking for a launch game dry.gif

By the way, its the same company makingthe game, its just that MS dropped them (for whatever reason) and 2k games picked them up.

Edited by incognegro, 16 August 2005 - 04:42 PM.

#12 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:44 PM

You must not have seen or played many xbox games to think Halo, the original, is in the top 10 graphically. Its bland and hard to look at(except for cut scenes).

But if thats what your eyes tell you, so be it, theyre yours afterall. Im just glad I dont have them tongue.gif

#13 deftonesmx17

deftonesmx17

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE(m_hael @ Aug 16 2005, 11:41 AM)

I thought it was 4xAA as the minimum since it will only be like a 5% performance hit. unsure.gif
I sure hope games are not 2xAA...........2xAA is almost useless IMO.

The more I look at the pics, that looks like 2xAA...................
I say this as even a game with 6xAA @1024x768 still has some jaggies, they just are not visible unless you are looking for them like myself and Deftech do tongue.gif

Edited by deftonesmx17, 16 August 2005 - 04:53 PM.

#14 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:05 PM

haha sucks to be us huh?

I honestly believe that 720p combined with 2x would be good. Good enough to where I dont rip my hair out in disgust.

I guess it depends on how it scales it though. Using amped 2 as reference, running 720p, even on the 77", jaggies vanished for the most part with no AA being used. Couple that will 2x and Id have no problem playing.

#15 deftonesmx17

deftonesmx17

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(Deftech @ Aug 16 2005, 12:16 PM)
I guess it depends on how it scales it though. Using amped 2 as reference, running 720p, even on the 77", jaggies vanished for the most part with no AA being used. Couple that will 2x and Id have no problem playing.

Yeah MX vs ATV in 1080i was like that on my 52". The jaggies were almost not there. Then again, we must remember that more complex worlds/characters equals more jaggies.

Example, the original Unreal Tournament @ 1024x768 with no AA is almost jaggie free. The more complex UT 2004 @ 1024x768 with no AA is full of jaggies. blink.gif

I'm just not sure if 2xAA will cut it for me, I might have to stick to my PC. Hell, I havent played my xblock in about 2 months, its just my cheap mediabox anymore sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users