Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE(deftonesmx17 @ Aug 16 2005, 02:24 PM)
Yeah MX vs ATV in 1080i was like that on my 52". The jaggies were almost not there. Then again, we must remember that more complex worlds/characters equals more jaggies.

Example, the original Unreal Tournament @ 1024x768 with no AA is almost jaggie free. The more complex UT 2004 @ 1024x768 with no AA is full of jaggies. blink.gif

I'm just not sure if 2xAA will cut it for me, I might have to stick to my PC. Hell, I havent played my xblock in about 2 months, its just my cheap mediabox anymore sad.gif

View Post

agreed as far as complexities = more jaggies to blind us with.

I havent played a game on mine in Id say...atleast 3 months. I cant, graphics hurt my face, I wont put myself thru that. I was susprised at how few jaggies doom 3 had. in some parts, it would be very smooth looking, very impressed. Then you get games that arent hard to run like doom 3 and the jaggies are the size of your arm grr.gif

pisses me off!!!!!!!!

its not easy being a whore, we need to start a support group! pop.gif

Edited by Deftech, 16 August 2005 - 05:17 PM.

#17 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE(Deftech @ Aug 16 2005, 12:16 PM)
I honestly believe that 720p combined with 2x would be good. Good enough to where I dont rip my hair out in disgust.

I guess it depends on how it scales it though. Using amped 2 as reference, running 720p, even on the 77", jaggies vanished for the most part with no AA being used. Couple that will 2x and Id have no problem playing.

View Post

exactly beerchug.gif

#18 deftonesmx17

deftonesmx17

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(Deftech @ Aug 16 2005, 12:27 PM)
its not easy being a whore, we need to start a support group!  pop.gif

No shit, I almost hate being a GFX whore. On my computer, I spend more time making a game look great and run great, then I do playing them. Its a sickness pop.gif

Edited by deftonesmx17, 16 August 2005 - 05:38 PM.

#19 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(deftonesmx17 @ Aug 16 2005, 02:45 PM)
No shit, I almost hate being a GFX whore. On my computer, I spend more time making a game look great and run great, then I do playing them. Its a sickness pop.gif

View Post

Oh I know the feeling. When I tried the FEAR demo, I jacked it all up and ot froze..muwhahaha

I had to play @ 8x6 and do some overclocking, something I havent done on a pc in years.

#20 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, body building, video games

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE(Deftech @ Aug 16 2005, 05:55 PM)
You must not have seen or played many xbox games to think Halo, the original, is in the top 10 graphically. Its bland and hard to look at(except for cut scenes).

But if thats what your eyes tell you, so be it, theyre yours afterall. Im just glad I dont have them  tongue.gif

View Post

Deftech, i though you had more scrupulous eyes then that. I'm the biggest graphics perfectionist there is. Halo 1 still has some of the best graphics on the xbox. If you can't see that, you need to re-evaluate your "graphic whore stance" tongue.gif

The texture quality in halo 1 is the best, and even better then halo 2. Especially the up close textures...perfectly clean detailed, much better then halo'2 or any other xbox games....and that goes for chaos theory's. There is so many little details in halo 1 that most people do not recognize. That was one of my complaints with halo 2, that it did not retain all the texture, and other graphical quality that halo 1 had. In some areas halo 2 surpassed it, but in others it did not even meet it. I caulk that up do to the limitations of the xbox hardware; increase one area, and another will have to be decreased.

EDIT: I'm not as hung up on jaggies as i am with texture and overall picture quality. Not having jaggies is a plus, but not as important as the other graphical stuff, imo. For example, i'd rather play games in 480p on my computer monitor which gives a much better picture (clean textures, etc.), but more jaggies then playing on my TV in 480i; where because of interlace the jaggies are much less, but the texture picture quality is horrible not clean....blurred.

Edited by Foe-hammer, 16 August 2005 - 09:03 PM.

#21 Carlo210

Carlo210

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:15 PM

Interlaced gives you more jaggies since the pixels are lined up accordingly, so when a horizontal 185 degree line is displayed, you see the two 1080 degree lines (one started a pixel higher than the other). This is a jaggie. In progressive scan, the pixels are still lined up, but much closer together. You still get the horizontal jaggies, such as the 185 degree stacked lines, but vertical jaggies are much less noticeable.
Interlaced 480i pixels, such as on your tv, are also much more seperated (.9mm ish, I think), which would result in more noticeable jaggies since the space between(for example) the two 180 degree horizontal lines is much larger.

Basically, 480p offers less visible jaggies because of how the pixels are displayed. I guess it depends on what kind of display you are using if your 480i tv has less jaggies, though.

#22 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:24 PM

Foe, I think halo looks like a pile of poo, not exaggerating either.

I thought it was ugly at launch, and 4 years later its gotten even uglier.

Its bland. Im not talking about texture quality and such, Im talking about just looking at the game overall and I see bland.

shadows and lighting are sad. lets not turn this into a "is halo a good looking game" I dont think it looks good, you do.

Games that my eyes find sexy are both Rallisports, PGR 2, all Splinter Cells, all DOA's and Ninja Gaiden, Recon 2(to an extent), Max Payne 2, Doom III, Moto GP 2, Amped 2, Unreal Champs 1 and 2.

Hell, I think Brute Force kills Halo in graphics, and fable isnt too shabby either considering the lushnes thats there.

I just named 19 games that look what I believe to be better than Halo. There are more, I just dont remember them. I dont recall what halo 2 looks like, Ive erased anything regarding that pile, from my mind entirely. tongue.gif

#23 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:27 PM

Playing games on my hdtv in 480i has much less jaggies then playing them in 480p. And, the jaggies are that much more noticeable when i play a game in 480p om my computer monitor. So go figure.

#24 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Aug 16 2005, 06:38 PM)
Playing games on my hdtv in 480i has much less jaggies then playing them in 480p.  And, the jaggies are that much more noticeable when i play a game in 480p om my computer monitor.  So go figure.

View Post

agreed.

friends used to wonder why I whined about jaggies until they started getting 480p sets themselves. Go figure.

now some of them have huge ass tv's and screens for their projectors, and they are as pissy as me when it comes to jaggies.

we all clamor for HD and NO more effing Jaggies!!!!!!!!

gimme!!!!!!!

pop.gif

#25 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:33 PM

Agree to disagree beerchug.gif

I agree with you about all the games you mentioned look good, but not better then halo 1; with the exception of NG, RS2, and Chaos theory looking better.

Unreal champ 1, and splinter cell 1 and 2 looked worse, imo. The textures were horrible ( muddy and not high res) up close, and the flashlight in halo 1 was better then any light in splinter cell 1 or 2.

Brute forces character models were very good, but the environments were so horrible bland and repetative that it almost made me throwup. Textures were shit too.

#26 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Aug 16 2005, 06:44 PM)
Agree to disagree  beerchug.gif

I agree with you about all the games you mentioned look good, but not better then halo 1; with the exception of NG, RS2, and Chaos theory looking better.

Unreal champ 1, and splinter cell 1 and 2 looked worse, imo.  The textures were horrible ( muddy and not high res) up close, and the flashlight in halo 1 was better then any light in splinter cell 1 or 2.

Brute forces character models were very good, but the environments were so horrible bland and repetative that it almost made me throwup.  Textures were shit too.

View Post

beerchug.gif

see, we can have somewhat mature debates without arguing.

pop.gif

#27 corkinator

corkinator

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:34 PM

I agree about Halo textures, still up there with the best on any console game ever. But the rest has been beaten by more than 10 other Xbox games.

#28 Moleman

Moleman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 01:41 AM

The thing about Halo 1 is that it's a very clean looking game. Halo 2 was a bit muddy.

#29 scienide

scienide

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:24 AM

Topspin2 jaggy?

i loved topspin1.. and am gonna play a lot of topspin2..
so i hope not smile.gif

with kind regards
Marco

#30 jaskerzada006

jaskerzada006

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 01:44 PM

Tetris looks better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic