• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 benhar

benhar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:44 PM

My Xbox recently stopped working on me (no mods, I didn't want to void my warranty which is ironically turning out to be useless). First it stopped displaying video, and the next day it would not power on at all. While troubleshooting my power supply (a Delta), I slipped with the tool in my hand and caused a nice blue pop between the fuse and the yellow capacitor. So if the power supply wasn't the problem before, it probably is now. Aside from the burn mark on the board, I can't see any visible damage to any of the components; I will try to post a picture later this evening. For the time being the best way I can desribe the burn spot is the area between the yellow capacitor, fuse, and where the power comes in from the outside. Have I just killed my power supply, or is there a chance I can still get it to work?

Edited by benhar, 16 August 2005 - 02:46 PM.

#2 Code-Runner

Code-Runner

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:07 PM

Most likely you just popped the fuse but by the sounds of it, you still will be looking at issues with the mobo.

#3 benhar

benhar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE(Code-Runner @ Aug 16 2005, 12:18 PM)
you still will be looking at issues with the mobo.

View Post

Yeah I thought about that. I'm hoping that if I get the power supply working I can get the video working as well by switching to S video or composite output.

Basically I'm just desperate not to buy another Xbox this close to the release of the 360 sad.gif

#4 benhar

benhar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 02:47 AM

Ok, here are a couple of pics. All I see in that area are the fuse, capacitor, the blue jumper wire, and the wire coming from the plug. None of those appearto be damaged. I'm going to borrow a multimeter and see if I can find the problem. I'm new at this, so are there any particular voltages at any particular spots that I should be looking for?

Thanks

user posted image

user posted image

#5 Code-Runner

Code-Runner

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 August 2005 - 04:30 AM

What you are thinking as a Capacitor could be the surge protector, what are the marking on it?

#6 TrigunXBox

TrigunXBox

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:15 AM

I think that yellow thing is the surge protector. Like the ones in power strips. Matter of fact, you might beable to cut a few out of a cheap power strip and soder it into the PS.

Not that is matters. If that is the surge protector, you can cut it off. It's not required for the powersupply to work.

What version powersupply is this? I see MS SOLVED the sparky soder joint issues in this one. See the blue and brown wires.

#7 benhar

benhar

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 01:34 PM

Yeah, you are both right, it was a surge protector. And the PSU is a 1.6 Delta.

I borrowed an oscilloscope from a friend and checked the voltages on the PSU connector, and it appears to be working correctly (blue wire ~3.3V, orange wires ~5V). I then checked the collector on the transistor next to the Xyclops chip (as shown at http://www.llamma.co...ox_no_power.htm), and got a reading of only ~1.7V. So, I ordered a couple of those transistors and will see if that fixes the problem.

What concerns me about this is that I never opened my Xbox prior to my problem, so I don't know what would cause the transistor to go bad (assuming that's my problem). Good thing is, if I am able to fix it then I will finally be able to mod my Xbox since the warranty is no longer an issue!

#8 jayquik03

jayquik03

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 02:32 AM

Hey, just posted in another topic.. But maybe you guys know. Same type of topic so hope i'm not bothering anyone. But anways... I have the sparky power supply if I solder it down will it work? It's already a little burnt around the board will post pics if possible. Oh and burn marks are minimum very very small light grey just from the sparkage

user posted image

Edited by jayquik03, 11 September 2005 - 02:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users