Photo

Pgr3: First Impressions And Newer Pics...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 August 2005 - 06:36 PM

4 Pics...

http://www.xboxyde.c...ws_1858_en.html

and 1 more...

http://www.xboxyde.c...ws_1860_en.html

Fug it...

user posted image

Impressions...

I’ve been lucky enough today to go in a private demonstration of Project Gotham Racing 3 with Nick Davies of Bizarre Creations. Here are my impressions from what he said and what I’ve seen.

Nick Davies first showed us a PowerPoint presentation of what they wanted to achieve in the game, with a few screenshots too, most of them already released. Here are the main points he really wanted us to understand:
- PGR3 should feel like a real sport, with real champions
- You play how you want, anywhere you want
- All cars can at least reach 170 mph, no smaller cars like VW Golf.
- Gotham TV is a very important aspect of the experience.
- There are about 4.000 spectators you can see in each track. They all react to what’s happening on the track. They can encourage or laugh at you, and of course take a few steps back in terror if you crash near them. Every animation has been motion captured.
- Every car is composed of about 40.000 polygons for the outside, and the same number for the inside. One shot I had never seen before was a fully textured model of the inside of a car, and it looked fantastic. The leather looked really realistic.
- Almost everything in the game is unlocked right from the start. Bizarre does not want to discourage people by having them tediously unlock everything for online racing.
- There will be online tournaments and a leaderboard system.
- The matching system will be very accurate, allowing good players to play with good players, and bad drivers like me to actually have a chance to have some fun.
- The kudos system will also be much more accurate, and will be able to reward you if you do a better style of power slide for example.
- Gotham TV should feel very much like a true TV channel. They want people to be able to use it as easily as a digital TV box.
- There will be some team racing and when I mentioned cooperative game play all I got was a smile and a no comment reply.

Now for the most important part of the presentation. Nick changed the input on the very nice Samsung LCD display and there it was. PGR3, running right before my eyes!
Let me state first that this was a rather old build, running on the oldest version of the black beta kits. The game was very obviously in development, with lots of graphical bugs and a very low frame rate, something like 10 or 15 FPS.
But it already looked so incredible! This was running on the same Tokyo track as shown in the latest trailer, and except for the numerous visual bugs and the very low resolution textures of this debug build, it looked exactly the same. Only this time it was playable!
Of course I did not have the chance to play myself, but Nick managed to show us a few interesting things. First and very noticeable was the awesome motion blur. Even at this low frame rate, the sense of speed was already exciting thanks to a quite natural looking motion blur. Every fast moving object on the screen was blurred very naturally and accordingly to his speed and distance from the camera. Of course other players’ cars will be blurred too. And yes I asked and it will be used in game play as well as replays.
The car was behaving very well to each bump and small jumps of the road, but it was difficult to see if it was accurate or not because of the low frame rate. Nick also detached the camera and got it to face the spectators. They are not very detailed, but they still look very nice and move very well.
We also got the chance to see the true cockpit view running and it was also excellent. It looks like there is a freelook mode that allows you to turn your viewpoint around the car, but maybe it's just the debug build. And yes every gauge was moving in the dashboard. This build did not have any sound so I can't unfortunately comment on that aspect of the game. I do not doubt it will be as good as the visuals though.
Update: I forgot to mention that we saw a few examples of the damages on the cars. They are about the same as in PGR2, mostly because it's already really difficult to get the license as it is I guess. Also there was no HUD yet in the game.
We did not get to see more of the game than one car and one track, and even with all the bugs and low frame rate, PGR3 did not fail to impress me at all. This is definitely my most awaited Xbox 360 game

#2 LowProfileWurm

LowProfileWurm

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 August 2005 - 06:50 PM

I SEE JAGGIES!!! OMFG BBQ LOL TOTAL CRAP!!1

OK, guess who I am??? C'mon!

Haha. Looks fantastic. If I loved simulation games at all I'd get it, but I much prefer action racing.

#3 Shawn_

Shawn_

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 August 2005 - 06:55 PM

10-15 fps ?

#4 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE(Shawn_ @ Aug 18 2005, 04:06 PM)
10-15 fps ?

View Post

shawn, sometimes I wonder if you skip every other sentence.

did you read the entire article? if so you wouldnt be asking why its running at that speed

LOL Low. and PGR games are by no means simulation types. atleast not for me, I dash around and most races turn into a demolition derby..hahahahaha

beerchug.gif

#5 Shawn_

Shawn_

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 August 2005 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(Deftech @ Aug 18 2005, 02:11 PM)
shawn, sometimes I wonder if you skip every other sentence.

did you read the entire article? if so you wouldnt be asking why its running at that speed

LOL Low. and PGR games are by no means simulation types. atleast not for me, I dash around and most races turn into a demolition derby..hahahahaha

beerchug.gif

View Post

Yes, actually I have read it earlier today on another site. I know its an old build, but its on a beta kit. either way, 10-15 fps is not good, esp when they were saying its 60 fps.

plugging it at 60 fps, then showing it at 10-15 is not cool.

#6 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE(Shawn_ @ Aug 18 2005, 04:14 PM)
Yes, actually I have read it earlier today on another site. I know its an old build, but its on a beta kit. either way, 10-15 fps is not good, esp when they were saying its 60 fps.

plugging it at 60 fps, then showing it at 10-15 is not cool.

View Post

its a debug kit, and when did they say 60? i thought we all heard it was going to be 30? didnt we just have that discussion last week?

you dont know much about game development and how it progresses I assume. The last couple months is when they turn into masterpieces. Theyve got atleast 2 solid months to get it to be just that, then the time left over it goes thru its final tests, gets pressed, you'll see a million sites saying "PGR 3 has gone GOLD!"...and we will have it and it will run beautifully.

and look just as good love.gif

#7 miggidy

miggidy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 18 August 2005 - 08:25 PM

I'm not sure if they ever promised 60 fps, they may have since many were expecting it. I'll let someone who knows speak on that.

Bizarre did come out recently and said that they were indeed shooting for 60 fps but basically asked not to hold them to that since the game is very demanding.
They said they would go with 30 fps if they weren't able to maintane a solid frame rate. And judging by the fact that the game is running this slow on a beta kit, I won't hold my breath for 60 fps.
30 fps sort of defeats the purpose of 720p, but oh well....

#8 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:34 PM

Bizarre Creations Studio Update 10

http://www.bizarreon...omments=1&id=47

oh and as far as the 15 fps comments in that article..

the reply from a dev..

Posted By Ben on 18.08.05
What do I say to that? Well, looking around the office right now there are plenty of dev kits running WAY above 15fps. :-) The article you mention does state that this was on an old dev kit, running an old build.

Posted By LEBATO on 18.08.05
I heard PGR3 is running at about 15fps right now, what do you have to say about that Ben? You guys are confident to make it 60fps by launch or 30fps at least? Thanks.

Posted By Ben on 18.08.05
It's running well above 30fps right now but with some slowdown, we are still adding graphical touches so what you're seeing now won't look as good as the final product. In fact, we're still working on improving the overall appearance of the car materials and their interaction with the scenes at the moment.

Good grief, they have a couple months left and its going to look even better love.gif

thats all I can muster...

love.gif

#9 miggidy

miggidy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:01 PM

There's light at the end of the tunnel after all!
60 fps is still a possibility....

Thanx for the update Def beerchug.gif

#10 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE(miggidy @ Aug 19 2005, 07:12 PM)
There's light at the end of the tunnel after all!
60 fps is still a possibility....

Thanx for the update Def beerchug.gif

View Post

beerchug.gif

60 is by no means a necessity for me. a rock solid 30 is more than fine, especially when they are pumping out the graphics that it is.

Id rather have a rock solid 30 or a little over, other than a 60 that has dips.

Consistency is key in racers, and none of this matters to me in the end. It could be 5fps with dips, I'll always have the front end of my car facing buildings and such so I can gaze at the graphics, hahahaha

And when we do race, Our lan party will consist of the same 4 or 5 people, and the only person that knows how to race is none other than scene member Kage360.

We can literally sit at the starting line and give the other 3 goofballs a 2 minute headstart. Not only that, but the 2 of us will end up turning it into a demolition derby with one another, and we still manage to be sitting at the finish line, waiting for the yahoos to cross it.

laugh.gif

#11 corkinator

corkinator

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:49 PM

I would think, paying so much money for new technology and games that every game, no matter how good they looked would really be at 60fps. And at the absolute worst, 30fps with no drops whatsoever.

#12 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 12:05 AM

and that will happen as time marches on, this is a launch title remember.

Look at the difference between pgr and pgr 2.

they have 3 cores at their disposal, who knows how many they are using, and how they are using the ones theyve chosen.

regardless of how good tools are and whatnot, it takes awhile for things to fall into place.

Better use of the memory, hdd, frame buffer, cpu. Theres a lot of variables to be dealt with.

#13 Infamous_One

Infamous_One

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:38 AM

what the hell i see jaggies , the bridge looks photoshopped.

#14 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:43 AM

hahaha

oh the comedy laugh.gif

#15 corkinator

corkinator

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE(Deftech @ Aug 20 2005, 01:16 AM)
and that will happen as time marches on, this is a launch title remember.

Look at the difference between pgr and pgr 2.

Wasn't PGR2 only 30 fps?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users