16 replies to this topic

#1 Jibberish18

Jibberish18

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:44 AM

And boy was it ghetto rigged. I didn't have proper sheet metal cutters so I used an old trusty pair of scissors and a big sheet metal cutter I borrowed from my dad. I had a Dremel and tons of accessories ready but I'm not familiar with the Dremel and the different bits and I didn't have eye protection. Well all in all it was worthless. I really didn't see any improvement in any temperatures. It is a bit louder than the original fan spinning at 100% (My original fan is actually quieter than other people original fans I've heard running at the same speed). It does indeed blow more air. And it fits perfect. I have it mounted with 3M double sided adhesive against the very back of the xbox. I cut the metal frame back there and mounted it right on the plastic. I'll have pictures posted tomorrow. I will also post more results after I let it sit for a few hours.

Specs of the aluminum fan are as follows:

RPM: 4000- Voltage: 12- Curent: 19 Amps- Air Flow: 32.45 CFM- Air Pressure: 4.21- Noise: <30 db. EVERCOOL Model# AL7015 One Ball Bearing

#2 bosstitan187

bosstitan187

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:51 AM

get a thermaltake fan

Heatsink Dimension

80x80x25 mm
Rated Voltage 12V
FAN Speed
1300 rpm at 20C~
4800 rpm at 55C
Max. Air Flow 20.55 CFM at 1300rpm
75.7 CFM at 4800rpm
Noise 17 dB at 1300 rpm
48 dB at 4800 rpm
Bearing Type Two Ball Bearing
Connector 3 Pin

they fucking OWN

#3 ferrari_rulz_02

ferrari_rulz_02

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,395 posts
  • Interests:my girfriend, then the xbox<br />and yes, it is in that order
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE(bosstitan187 @ Aug 19 2005, 10:02 PM)
get a thermaltake fan

Heatsink Dimension

80x80x25 mm
Rated Voltage  12V
FAN Speed 
1300 rpm at 20C~
4800 rpm at 55C
Max. Air Flow  20.55 CFM at 1300rpm
75.7 CFM at 4800rpm
Noise  17 dB at 1300 rpm
48 dB at 4800 rpm
Bearing Type  Two Ball Bearing
Connector  3 Pin
they fucking OWN

View Post

theyre only quiet because they dont spin fast.

the one he has sounds likr its great

Jibberish18, whats temps are you getting at the moment?

#4 Reanimation_LP

Reanimation_LP

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:40 PM

A 70 INCH FAN?

HOLY F***.

HOWS THE AIRFLOW? biggrin.gif

#5 ferrari_rulz_02

ferrari_rulz_02

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE(Reanimation_LP @ Aug 19 2005, 10:51 PM)
A 70 INCH FAN?

HOLY F***.

HOWS THE AIRFLOW? biggrin.gif

View Post

i think he means 70mm

#6 Jibberish18

Jibberish18

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 01:11 AM

LOL sorry I meant 70 MM. At the moment I'm getting about 120-122 F for my CPU. About 100-105 F on my MB and about 85-90 F on my Hard Drive. Now these are exactly what my old original fan gave me in my hot small room. Now if I turn on the Air Conditioning everything goes down about 5-10 degrees on the Originial Fan believe it or not. In defense of the aluminum fan I'll bet that it would work more effectively if I could move it back about an inch and put it right in front of the CPU heatsink. My theory is that just like a fuel pump in a car, it is easier to push the fuel in the tank (in this case hot air) rather than pull it out. BUT if I do this the fan will surely get louder since I tested it outside of the XBOX one day and as soon as you put something solid behind it, it raises in volume. And to do this I would have to cut the plastic tabs that hold the original fan in. And I just noticed that it MAY be as loud as the original fan at the same speed.
BUt as promised here are some pics.

http://community.web...190278953eiOlqt

Sorry I had to give a link. That's how Webshots is.

And as a side note I don't think putting a bigger exhaust fan or an intake fan always works. I'm thinking that if I drill a few holes in a few target areas that might work better. Might not. There may be more experimenting to come.

Edited by Jibberish18, 20 August 2005 - 01:15 AM.

#7 Jibberish18

Jibberish18

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:30 AM

Yeah the CPU temp has climbed up to 126 F. HD is 98.6 F and MB is 105.8 F. Not good.

#8 sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 04:17 AM

That fan looks pretty sexy.
Did you happen to cut the hdd try to much?

#9 ferrari_rulz_02

ferrari_rulz_02

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 09:20 AM

well you coudl put it infront of the cpu heatsink, but that wouldnt vool anythign else down. and it would just recycle teh hot air which is bad.

trust me, m$ put a lot of money into making the xbox cool enough with minimal airflow.

#10 Jibberish18

Jibberish18

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 10:20 AM

Did you happen to cut the hdd try to much?

I didn't cut into the HDD tray at all actually. It missed it perfectly. It's almost as if it belongs in there.

well you coudl put it infront of the cpu heatsink, but that wouldnt vool anythign else down. and it would just recycle teh hot air which is bad.

Actually I think putting it back a bit more would cool down the CPU much better. Because my HD and MB are at about the same temperature as before. BUT the CPU is suffering a few degrees becuase of my theory of the fan having to pull rather than push the hot air being generated by the hottest component of the XBOX which is the CPU. I could be wrong here but this is what I think. I will not be experimenting anymore though. For me to move it back against the Heatsink I would have to Dremel my HD Tray and the 2 tabs that hold the OEM fan. For a possible few degrees in drop I'd rather not butcher my XBOX.

#11 ferrari_rulz_02

ferrari_rulz_02

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE(Jibberish18 @ Aug 20 2005, 08:31 PM)
Actually I think putting it back a  bit more would cool down the CPU much better.  Because my HD and MB are at about the same temperature as before.  BUT the CPU is suffering a few degrees becuase of my theory of the fan having to pull rather than push the hot air being generated by the hottest component of the XBOX which is the CPU.  I could be wrong here but this is what I think.  I will not be experimenting anymore though.  For me to move it back against the Heatsink I would have to Dremel my HD Tray and the 2 tabs that hold the OEM fan.  For a possible few degrees in drop I'd rather not butcher my XBOX.

View Post

good point. i wouldnt want to tear up any more of my xbox then is necessary either.

i dont agree with yuor pint of view. i belive that moving the fan would not cool the cpu down any more.

but if someone wanted to try, i think it would be interestign to see the results

maybe you coudl try putting a small 40mm fan between the existing fan and the cpu heatsink?

#12 Jibberish18

Jibberish18

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 10:57 AM

maybe you coudl try putting a small 40mm fan between the existing fan and the cpu heatsink?

Or better yet going on my theory again you could try putting a fan BEHIND the CPU pushing the hot air into the bigger 70 MM fan. I think this would help much better than than putting the smaller fan in front of the CPU. I'd like for someone to try this now. Would be interesting. What I could do is switch to the MB heatsink they used on the Version2 XBOX's and up and take that small fan they have and place it behind the CPU heatsink. I wouldn't need that one specifically but since it's already connected and all. Or something similar.

BTW ferrari_rulz_02 if you look at the original fan it is in fact farther in depth than this aluminum fan and sit's much closer to the cpu heatsink. I'd like to thank you for presenting your view to me in such a peaceful manner rather than jamming it down my throat. beerchug.gif

Edited by Jibberish18, 20 August 2005 - 11:00 AM.

#13 ferrari_rulz_02

ferrari_rulz_02

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 11:00 AM

well when i think about it, i dont belive that it will help that much. the main reason is that most of teh air comes from across the psu, under the hdd, and then over the cpu heatsink. so i dont think that it will make much difference

but then again it will be pullign air a bit harder so maybe it wil.....supose we will just have to wait and see when someone gives it a go.

#14 Jibberish18

Jibberish18

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 11:06 AM

well when i think about it, i dont belive that it will help that much. the main reason is that most of teh air comes from across the psu, under the hdd, and then over the cpu heatsink

By PSU do you mean Power Supply Unit? This is the only thing that I could muster up.

You know all this talk about heatsinks and moving air makes me wonder if that small heatsink I put over my NVIDIA chip makes any difference.

Edited by Jibberish18, 20 August 2005 - 11:07 AM.

#15 ferrari_rulz_02

ferrari_rulz_02

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(Jibberish18 @ Aug 20 2005, 09:17 PM)
By PSU do you mean Power Supply Unit?  This is the only thing that I could muster up. 

You know all this talk about heatsinks and moving air makes me wonder if that small heatsink I put over my NVIDIA chip makes any difference.

View Post

yeah, psu=power supply unit

with that heatsink, yeah i supose it will. thats the mcpx i think your talkign about. that thing gets hot (thats where the mobo temp data comes off), so yeah, in that case, it probably does do something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users