#1 Arjun

Arjun

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 August 2005 - 06:19 AM

I saw this established on different forums. They don't allow users to post working links until they have reached a certain post count. Yes, I now post count means nothing. But this usually prevents the '** This user is a FAG ** ** Report him for a banning for attempting to SPAM XS with his BS **/psp' people from joining and posting their spamming referal links. Just a thought. Thanks.

EDIT: Well, obviously that ^ measure has been implemented. I hope I don't get banned...

Edited by Arjun, 21 August 2005 - 06:22 AM.

#2 JimmyDeushku

JimmyDeushku

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 02:48 PM

I agree, after a user has, say 1000 posts, you should let him post links.

#3 chefelf

chefelf

Brandishing the Triforce of Modding

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Web Design, Writing, Cycling, Hardware Modification, Building Computers, Music
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 August 2005 - 02:58 PM

Personally, I agree with you. However, I don't think Invision has any option to make this happen. It would certainly cut down on a lot of spamming though.

#4 atomiX

atomiX

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts
  • Interests:Doesn't matter...

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:01 PM

I support this idea as well but I think 1000 posts is too much. Most members don't and probably never will reach that ammount. I think 30-50 would be fair. Most spammers are too lazy and won't bother joining and posting 30 messages to be able to post spam links.

It would be a shame if Invision didn't support this feature since I think this is a great idea.

#5 jonathan2007

jonathan2007

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:50 PM

I agree that this would be a nice feature. I would set the post count to maybe 20 or 30. And put in on the sign up page that you have to have at least whatever number of worthwhile posts in order to post links (even if we can't really determine what is worthwhile and what is not, it might deter some spammers). Just my 2 cents. But I guess if it is not available then it is not available.

Edited by jonathan2007, 21 August 2005 - 08:51 PM.

#6 The*galloping*zebra

The*galloping*zebra

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Interests:Lazing

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:01 PM

I've seen forums which don't allow members with under a certain amount of posts to post anywhere on the forums part from the newbie section. They can read the other forums but just can't post. Probably stop newbish questions straying off into other forums aswel as spam.
Don't know if x-s have ever considered this?..

Edited by The*galloping*zebra, 21 August 2005 - 10:05 PM.

#7 Jezz_X

Jezz_X

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:55 AM

I guess one side effect is people post crap posts taking up board resources just to get to the limit they need to post links

#8 atomiX

atomiX

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts
  • Interests:Doesn't matter...

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:16 AM

QUOTE(The*galloping*zebra @ Aug 21 2005, 06:12 PM)
I've seen forums which don't allow members with under a certain amount of posts to post anywhere on the forums part from the newbie section. They can read the other forums but just can't post. Probably stop newbish questions straying off into other forums aswel as spam.
Don't know if x-s have ever considered this?..

View Post

I'd see this as somewhat odd. Many new members already know a vast ammount on modding the xbox but have never bothered to join. But what if they have a technical question that should be posted somewhere else than newb chat? This would have been my situation since I only joined to ask a question about the flubber color mod when it first came out. Here it is for your viewing pleasure smile.gif.

#9 HSDEMONZ

HSDEMONZ

He Who Posts Alot...

• Admin
  • 12,220 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 August 2005 - 12:08 AM

I'm not a fan of any system, where someone who has been here only a few days, with only a few posts.. is valued less then someone who has been here awhile.. and has less privs that those who have been here longer.

I don't want people posting more to get "respect" and privs.

We've discussed this before. I'm not beating a dead horse more than I've beaten it the last 20 times this came up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users