3 replies to this topic

#1 cheeks_jd

cheeks_jd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 02:06 PM

Hello everyone,

I have scoured over these and other forums for hours. I have made 3 'boot' discs, one with just evo x on it,the other using Slayers boot disc, and another random one i found in another language (something like french).

However all just give me the dirty disc error.

What happened was that I had been using Evo X for some time on a hard modded xbox with no problems at all, but I wanted to change to UnleashX because others had said it was better.

So I grabbed a copy of it, and put it in C, renaming default.xbe to unleashxdash.xbe (after removing all evo x folders and .xbe's)

Except now my xbox only boots to the ms dash.

So now I'm thinking instead of renaming unleashX's xbe to unleashxdash, i should have renamed it evoxdash.xbe and everything would have been fine? Am i right?

Also, any ideas why the boot discs arent working? I've burnt many a game before with no problems so yeah.

Noob I suppose, but not one of the worst around (I hope...) Any help would very much be appreciated

#2 Hoopy Frood

Hoopy Frood

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:28 PM

I'm not sure about your other problems, but about the boot discs: What type of DVD drive do you have? Do you get DDEs with regular games or just the boot discs?

If you get DDEs with games your DVD drive could be dying. Or maybe just needing a cleaning smile.gif

The Thompson drives from the 1.0 boxes are pretty terrible (that's what I've got). The best way to get a boot disc for a Thompson is to use a Ritek G04 DVD-R. But you should be able to get away with a nice, new CD-RW if you have a Samsung or Panasonic. Be sure to burn them right. There are plenty of tutorials that go into the details.

Also, be sure to read the "Noob guide to everything". It doesn't have a lot of details but it links to a huge amount of pretty essential knowledge. Good luck!

#3 cheeks_jd

cheeks_jd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 01:38 PM

Yeah mate I dont get DDE's with any other games, burnt or otherwise.

Maybe I just need to try a different brand, although I've used the ones I have now before.

What about the dummy file, how much space should be used up on the DVD before burning it?

#4 osmoscosmos

osmoscosmos

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 05:36 AM

the only way to know what neess to be done is what chip/bios you have, x3 can be swapped to another dash name on teh fly... if your using evox bios, then yes you either have to change filename to evoxdash.xbe, or whatever it was before you deleted.. or so that filenames stay straight get a M8+ assembled that goes to unleash, or whatever you name the dash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users