brucett

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:none

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:29 AM

I have an xbox which is doing as described at the top so i presume bad eeprom!

I tried to fix it by flashing an xecuter 2.6 with the cromwell-patched.bin with the eeprom in it so that when it loads it flashes the eeprom.

ie. the theory stated here http://arisme.free.fr/Xbox/Reflash/

Everything appeared to work, drive ejected and on screen it said the eeprom reflash was successfull.

I then disabled the chip and tried to boot up but same thing, when i was expecting good old green flubber?

Any ideas on where i may be going wrong?

#2 mikeymikeuk

mikeymikeuk

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 02:34 PM

I had almost exactly the same problem a while ago. I had a bad eeprom and green then red flashing. Followed that tutorial and flashed me x2.6CE with the patched cromwell bios. It didn't work, didn't even get the EEPROM FLASH SUCCESSFUL message.

So rather than messing about I built up a programmer and wrote a new EEPROM image with Ponyprog. Worked like a charm.

#3 brucett

brucett

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 10:08 PM

Can you explain what you mean and did please?

#4 brucett

brucett

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 05:26 PM

I have now managed to flash the eeprom! biggrin.gif

Now the problem is:

I can boot up fine with chip enabled (m8 bios), however when i boot with chip disabled (Xecuter 2.6), the xbox just seems to have same prob.

any ideas?

thanks

#5 mikeymikeuk

mikeymikeuk

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 07:22 PM

So how did you manage to flash the EEPROM then ? If the chips disabled and your getting the same problem the flash didn't work surely ?

#6 brucett

brucett

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:12 PM

Yeh thats what i thought!

I did flash eeprom.

What now happens is when you boot up with chip enabled, everything is fine and can boot config magic and check eeprom with no prob and i checked the eeprom had flashed properly by comparing the serials and online keys and its the same.

However boot with chip disabled and get the old green then red flashing

Now ive just put an Aladdin XT in and made it permanently on as i dont care about live. Would be nice to fix it though

#7 mikeymikeuk

mikeymikeuk

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:05 PM

Have you relocked the drive after flashing the EEPROM ?

Did you flash a new EEPROM image or a backup of the old one ?

Edited by mikeymikeuk, 25 August 2005 - 12:07 PM.

#8 OcnewB

OcnewB

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Interests:XboX modding, Repairing, Selling, Writing Tutorials.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE(mikeymikeuk @ Aug 25 2005, 01:16 PM)
Have you relocked the drive after flashing the EEPROM ?

Did you flash a new EEPROM image or a backup of the old one ?

View Post

Corrupt or bad eeprom results in ONLY RED FLASHING. Flashing red and green is often the result of a bad solderjob or install and or loose connections.

#9 Dano2k0

Dano2k0

The Cooling King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:35 PM

As above flashing red ONLY is a bad eeprom image. The flash may be successfull in such it will boot with a mod but is missing some information, or the eeprom image itself isn't compatable with the original retail BIOS for the board or something simillar, ive had a couple in before where no matter how many times i tried i could never boot after it said it was successful. I found in the end the eeprom chip itself was actually at fault and swapping this out fixed the problem easily.

Flashing red and green would give me the idea your original bios on the tsop could also be corrupt, to save time depending on the board version 1.0-1.1 switch to bank 2 as 512k, or swap the tsop chip on the mobo, if your decent enough with a soldering iron its an easy enough job to do.

The flashing red and green sounds to me like a BIOS issue anyway, i would look into trying something out on this, in my case of this happening i would do the above as usual, quick and easy.

Good luck beerchug.gif

#10 brucett

brucett

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(OcnewB @ Aug 25 2005, 01:34 PM)
Corrupt or bad eeprom results in ONLY RED FLASHING. Flashing red and green is often the result of a bad solderjob or install and or loose connections.

View Post

QUOTE(Dano2k0 @ Aug 25 2005, 11:46 PM)
As above flashing red ONLY is a bad eeprom image. The flash may be successfull in such it will boot with a mod but is missing some information, or the eeprom image itself isn't compatable with the original retail BIOS for the board or something simillar, ive had a couple in before where no matter how many times i tried i could never boot after it said it was successful. I found in the end the eeprom chip itself was actually at fault and swapping this out fixed the problem easily.

Flashing red and green would give me the idea your original bios on the tsop could also be corrupt, to save time depending on the board version 1.0-1.1 switch to bank 2 as 512k, or swap the tsop chip on the mobo, if your decent enough with a soldering iron its an easy enough job to do.

The flashing red and green sounds to me like a BIOS issue anyway, i would look into trying something out on this, in my case of this happening i would do the above as usual, quick and easy.

Good luck  beerchug.gif

View Post

People, People! Its RED FLASHING at the moment when mod disabled, not this red and green some of you are making out! The console also works fine when the chip is enabled?

It is weird i know, i have seen bad eeproms in the past and this one is just doin my head in!

#11 CrazyK

CrazyK

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:32 AM

Has anyone here actually fixed this issue? I am havign the exact same problem. With the X2.6CE DISABLED, the v1.1 will show up green, then turn red and start flashing RED ONLY. But with the x2.6CE ENABLED, everything works fine. I've tried flashing this eeprom with 4 different eeproms (all of which I know work...I loaded them into MY xbox and they work fine....same v1.1 model), and I still have the same result. COnfigmagic,Eepromer all display the information fine, as well as XBMC and avalaunch....

PLEASE HELP sad.gif

#12 mikeymikeuk

mikeymikeuk

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:24 AM

Well the EEPROM must be knackered. The IC not the file. De-solder it and put a new surface 24C02 in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users