8 replies to this topic

#1 nathanrazo

nathanrazo

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:27 AM

I have the duo x2 lite chip and lpc rebuild board for a 1.6 xbox. My question is do I solder in the pin header first and then put on the lpc rebuild board? I think the pin header has 12 pins but one has to be pulled out to fit. Or do I put in the pin header and solder it all together with the lpc rebuild board? I read in the hackdabox site to just use wires but I want to try the lpc rebuild board first.

#2 selivus

selivus

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:02 AM

honestly, i would try the wires first. with the lpc rebuild board you have a very good chance of tearing off your traces with one slight mistake. and unsoldering those things really sucks. Just my opinion.

#3 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:24 PM

I think you will find if you solder the pins first its harder to get the board on.
The rebuild boards supplied with these are very poor and unless you are an experienced solder guy then I too would have to say rebuild using wires or at least one of the rebuild boards with the half circle type connectors.

#4 HackDaBox

HackDaBox

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  • Interests:XBOX-SCENE
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:16 PM

If you wanna try it blink.gif

Then tin each connection first. Push the headerpin through the lpc holes. Sit the rebuild board on and try to hold it all together whilst soldering the tiny points. A very fine tipped iron is best.

You may find it quick and easy and saves you stripping tiny wires smile.gif

Or you may wish you never bothered trying the damn thing !

HackDaBox !

PS Real men use wires ! LOL

#5 Perplexer

Perplexer

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Interests:Fish with big teeth
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE(HackDaBox @ Aug 24 2005, 07:27 PM)
PS Real men use wires ! LOL

View Post

Where do I turn in my manhood? ohmy.gif

Personally, I like the rebuild boards. But yes, they can be troublesome if you do not have a good iron and proper soldering technique.

As Chancer and others have said, solder the rebuild board first. Then insert and solder the pin header.

#6 nathanrazo

nathanrazo

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 04:41 AM

thank you everybody for the input!!

#7 EsspeN

EsspeN

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:43 AM

I think the rebuilder sucks.
What i do is to put the rebuilder in, and just take a red pen and mark all the solder points so they get red. Remove the rebuilder, solder on the 5 wires and stick them to pin header.

Goes pretty fast and MUCH better than the rebuilder.
I dont trust the rebuilders so much hassle when something goes wrong. Not worth it.

#8 ModdingManiac

ModdingManiac

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE(EsspeN @ Aug 25 2005, 11:54 AM)
I think the rebuilder sucks.
What i do is to put the rebuilder in, and just take a red pen and mark all the solder points so they get red. Remove the rebuilder, solder on the 5 wires and stick them to pin header.

View Post

You can higlight all you want but that won't correct your soldering, all it does is make sure you hit the right spots which there is no need to since they are easily labeled on diagrams and also the boards line up with the points you need to solder...
QUOTE(EsspeN @ Aug 25 2005, 11:54 AM)
I dont trust the rebuilders so much hassle when something goes wrong. Not worth it.

View Post

Honestly if you use an Aladdin Xt or an X3 rebuild board (the ones with half circles) I don't see how you can mess it up since you are looking at the connections, the LPC and the rebuild board.

#9 chukz

chukz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:26 AM

the half-circle connectors rebuild boards really are the best way to go, it saves a lot of time.

the ones that come with duox2 lite are crap.
they do not line up perfectly, and you need a REALLY fine solder tip to make sure there is a strong bond.

frankly if ur rebuild board is nice, use it... if it's a duox2 lite rebuild board, ur better off rebuilding the LPC...

the way i did it was, solder the pogo pins in place, then rebuild the LPC by soldering the wires onto the pogopins (on the bottom of the motherboard of course).
just my 2 cents

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users