Photo

I Been Reading The Forum And The Site For 4 Days..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kiunch

kiunch

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:06 AM

hi, I been reading the many stuffs for 4 days, I am pretty sure what I going to do.. but because I am such a noob and the overwheming information and tool confused me a little.

My plan:
Buy Xenium ICE and install it in my xbox, I heard pretty good stuff on DuoX2, but I swear to god I scare of soldering... and I think the soldering tool+chip cost nearly as much as Xenium ICE anyway..

buy 160GB harddrive, install it... make the harddrive external, I pretty sure that 160G isn't enough for me. I going to use the Xbox for watch series, 160GB only hold 24 series.. going to need around 2 harddrive happy.gif

Use Slayer as boot Cd....

install whatever software/goodie I like to try.

I know that Slayer tool helps me flash the chip and install the harddrive.. but my question is, do I install both modchip and harddrive, and then run slayer and it will take care of most stuff.. or do I have to install modchip, use slayer, install harddrive, and run slayer again?

Another thing I not very confident of is this external hdd tutorial:http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/externhdd.php ... so basiclly i just follow that and I can swap harddrive around...? I read that article a few times, I just not really sure how it works.. and does slayer handle this well too?

Sorry for all the question... I pretty sure I can do those modchip, and harddrive thingy, but I start to lose confident when all those stuff put together.. and after I discover a recommanded tool call Slayer, its even more confusing.. do I use that for everything? or it only do something?

#2 chorizo1

chorizo1

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:14 AM

get ICEGUIDE to install the chip. Slayer's installs Evox (dashboard) not bios, bios can be found in "the usual places" check guide in my sig. worry about that first, before the HDD upgrade.

Finally someone who read a little before posting. biggrin.gif

Edited by chorizo1, 28 August 2005 - 08:15 AM.

#3 leeloo5

leeloo5

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, BT, dvdshrink, messing with electronics, Half.com selling.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:21 PM

for the xenium ice you will want to follow the ice guide. Basically you will put the old drive and the new drive (in place of the dvd drive) into the xbox with the modchip installed. Then in the modchip you can select to upgrade hd, and it will take you through the steps.

when you are done, you can ftp a new bios by enabling web server on the modchip. You can also FTP a dashboard over (i recommend Xbox Mediacenter).

I'd put the xecuter 2 4981 bios on the chip and use xbmc as the dash. You will put the xbmc default.xbe on c and rename it to evoxdash.xbe, and also put the xboxmediacenter.xml file on c. Then edit the xml file (its pretty explanatory) and then put the rest of the files on E:\apps\.

I wouldn't use slayers.

If you use xbmc you can network your xbox with your pc, and if your PC has all the episodes, you can play them on your xbox but keep the files on your pc. To do this you set up a shared folder on the winXP machine, and then access it though SMB share in XBMC. that way you wont take up all the hd space on the xbox, but can still play all your files. Good luck.

#4 kiunch

kiunch

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 29 August 2005 - 02:04 AM

Thanks for all the helps..

I have one question about the harddrive tho, since I want to order it asap(so I can get both chip and drive arrive at same time).

I know that if I get a 160G harddrive, it'll spit into 2 drives... 200G will spit into 2... but what happen if I get a 300G one?

Very good to know that it can stream all video/song from my computer using my router, but the harddrive I using is too small to store much stuffs.

Does xbmc support swap hdd using the tutorial I mention above?

thanks again

#5 leeloo5

leeloo5

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, BT, dvdshrink, messing with electronics, Half.com selling.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 29 August 2005 - 04:35 AM

you will need to have all the xbmc files on both drives, and flip a switch when the HD is turned off. You really might as well just get a 250gig hd or a 300gig one instead, just get a bios that supports F and G and you will be fine.

#6 blue bandicoot

blue bandicoot

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 August 2005 - 06:12 AM

yeah id pick a bigger HD over having one external, i think that looks rly tacky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users