41 replies to this topic

#1 law56ker

law56ker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:26 AM

Hi i bought a new xbox about a year ago, i was excited when i saw a samsung drive in it. Apparently it's the new crappy samsung drives and it don't read anything i've tried so far as cdrws and dvd-rs are concerned. Anyone have the same drive and have meida that loads?

#2 Synops

Synops

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 06:26 AM

i bought an xbox about 2 months ago, and it has a Samsung (think its the new one) it reads my Imagin CD-RW's, and all the Ridata DVD's i burn.

#3 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 August 2005 - 01:15 PM

it will read any good dvd-r media you use... such as riteks or yudens.

#4 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,751 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 29 August 2005 - 02:46 PM

my friends has read all kinds of cheap dvd-r and dvd+r, reads pretty much anythign except cd-r

#5 Synops

Synops

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 03:44 PM

yes - mine will nto read cd-r's either, and it will read ebvery type of dvd media i have thrown at it.

#6 law56ker

law56ker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 04:28 PM

Darn guess I have been just unlucky picking media, I'll probably have to buy some quaility dvd then. I just want to make sure the ones I buy are going work.

#7 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 29 August 2005 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(law56ker @ Aug 29 2005, 06:37 AM)
Hi i bought a new xbox about a year ago, i was excited when i saw a samsung drive in it. Apparently it's the new crappy samsung drives and it don't read anything i've tried so far as cdrws and dvd-rs are concerned. Anyone have the same drive and have meida that loads?

View Post

Yup, the new Sammys are picky as hell. I don't have one but I did mod an XBOX for a buddy that had one. The only thing it would read were Taiyo Yuden DVD-R (one of the highest quality manufacturers, read the link in my sig for more details). You can order 4x Taiyo Yuden for dirt cheap. Check out http://www.supermediastore.com $31 shipped for 100 of them. You might be able to get them cheaper if you enter in the following coupon code: summer10. Should knock off 10% if it works.

#8 law56ker

law56ker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Aug 29 2005, 03:03 PM)
Yup, the new Sammys are picky as hell.  I don't have one but I did mod an XBOX for a buddy that had one.  The only thing it would read were Taiyo Yuden DVD-R (one of the highest quality manufacturers, read the link in my sig for more details).  You can order 4x Taiyo Yuden for dirt cheap.  Check out http://www.supermediastore.com  $31 shipped for 100 of them.  You might be able to get them cheaper if you enter in the following coupon code: summer10.  Should knock off 10% if it works.

View Post

Yea thanks I may buy those. It makes me so mad that I got this crappy drive especially since I bought it off ebay thinking it was the good samsung, I got screwed.
Well maybe I will do the same and sell it on ebay. I also had another drive that I got from a new xbox and it was a samsung and I sold it to my buddy thinking it was another good one. Looks like we both got stuck with these drives that don't read crap.
I figured my samsung whould read anything I was so happen, so far it reads nothing. The farthest I ever got was to get it to finally load a emu disc only to have to lock up or move slower then molasses.
S o this is a WARNING to anyone who gets the new samsungs "THEY SUCK" ohmy.gif. Make sure when you buy one off ebay it isn't my version. Unless your actually going buy mine:)

#9 hooshang

hooshang

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 11:07 PM

I got a similar situation except I got some incompatible media with my philips. Ridata 8x sad.gif. Taiyo Yuden all the %^#@ing way.

#10 law56ker

law56ker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:41 AM

Well I ordered those Taiyo Yuden DVD-R dvds so they hopefully work, they do charge for shipping it was about 37 bucks with shipping.

#11 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:56 PM

Ah fark, I meant to give you the link for http://www.shop4tech.com. Got the two mixed up and the prices are much better at shop4tech. sad.gif

#12 law56ker

law56ker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Aug 30 2005, 12:07 PM)
Ah fark, I meant to give you the link for http://www.shop4tech.com.  Got the two mixed up and the prices are much better at shop4tech.  sad.gif

View Post

It doesn't matter reallly I was trying to buy them at shop4tech since i read your post before and they have been out of stock and no telling how long that will last. I'm sure they will get them in stock now since i bought them already smile.gif

#13 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:47 AM

Yup, BTW for anyone else who is interested the valid code for 10% off at shop4tech on these Taiyo Yuden discs is: LD10

That is valid until 9/5/05. So if they get back in stock prior to that date then feel free to use it. Less than $28 shipped per 100 discs.

#14 LightningStruckMyXbox

LightningStruckMyXbox

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:59 PM

My xbox is v1 and it has no problem reading ANY media. DVD-RAM for all I care it doesn't care. Mini disks, cd-r, dvd-r, dvd+r, nothing is stoppin' my xbox.

BTW i made a POT adjustment. tongue.gif

#15 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 03:30 AM

And that has what to do with this thread? Absolutely nothing, as the Samsung 605f wasn't even a drive in any version 1.0 consoles. It should also be noted that the pot tweak cannot be done for any version Samsung drive. So your post is completely irrelevant for the purposes of this thread. rolleyes.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users