Photo

Father-in-law Wants His Xbox Mod'd I Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ZPaul2Fresh8

ZPaul2Fresh8

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:CamaroZ28.com, my Camaro SS(Gone now ZX6-R :-), programming, Xbox, my Son and Daughter.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 April 2003 - 04:39 PM

First of all, I'm not NEW to modding, I already have my Xbox(V1.0) modded with Matrix chip. Now the problem is he's got newer Xbox, I'm unsure how many New versions are out there so I know it's probly completely different installing the Modchip.

So, my questions are is the Matrix Chip compatible for all versions?

And if not, how do I tell which Version he has and what Modchips are available for it???

THANKS GUYS!

#2 Novahux

Novahux

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 April 2003 - 04:49 PM

Don't do it. just tell him its unmoddable, Your only setting your self up for loads of work, burning games and setting things up fro him.

Or Take it to a modshop and use his money to pay for the chip install (by an electronics tech) and an evox config. (some modshop willl refuse to install evox).

If its a better modchip/DVD drive than yours, then swap parts on him biggrin.gif

#3 ZPaul2Fresh8

ZPaul2Fresh8

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:CamaroZ28.com, my Camaro SS(Gone now ZX6-R :-), programming, Xbox, my Son and Daughter.

Posted 09 April 2003 - 04:54 PM

I've made it very clear of what needs to be done. It's not hard to install the Matrix Chip, well atleast it wasn't on my V1.0 Xbox, I don't know anything about the new versions.

He knows he'll need a harddrive to store games...etc...

I just need some answers to my questions above, your help is appreciated!

Edited by ZPaul2Fresh8, 09 April 2003 - 04:55 PM.

#4 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 06:15 PM

The Matrix will work with the 1.0 and 1.1, but not the 1.2. I would think you could do it yourself with an X2 Lite. It's an easy solder job, and it will work on all versions of the Xbox. You could throw a hard drive in there, too, but as far as the games go...tell him you have them on your hard drive, so there would be no way to get them onto his HD. That way at least you won't have the risk of upsetting your in-laws *gulp*

#5 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 April 2003 - 06:26 PM

I agree that if he has a Version 1.2 then you could well be taking on a project that is more than you can handle. The V1.0 is supposed to be the easiest to put the Matrix in. Good luck getting ahold of the Matrix chip right now though. I wouldn't get the X2 Lite now though as they now come pre-shipped with the crappy Linux/Cromwell Bios which won't help you much. Might as well get an X2 Pro chip as that has a programmer as well and it is actually cheaper than the Matrix chip.

#6 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 06:41 PM

Well, the X2 Lite comes pre-shipped with the Cromwell BIOS and the flashing software. It makes it legal without the need for external programmer. You're not really expected to use that BIOS indefinitely; it's just a conduit through which you can flash it with a more controversial BIOS like an X2 BIOS. I don't see what the problem is, personally.

#7 leigao84

leigao84

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 07:02 PM

Spend the extra $10 and get the pro. Just becareful with the flimsy FCC cables. Also if you're really new at soldiering, just get a longer wire and use the alternate d0 point in the back, it's so much bigger.

#8 ZPaul2Fresh8

ZPaul2Fresh8

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 07:36 PM

Thanks guys for all your help. So Matrix will not work on Versions 1.2? Ok, now how do I know it's v1.1 or v1.2??? Thanks and I appreciate all the help.

#9 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 April 2003 - 08:07 PM

For Xeero. I didn't realize that they shipped it with programming software. I thought they just shipped it with the crappy Bios (I realize it's for legal reasons) and left you without a means for flashing it (i.e. no programmer or no programming software) so I just figured that it would be better to get the X2 Pro since it comes with a Programmer and you will have to flash your Bios anyway. Oh well either chip is fine I guess. Sorry about the mix-up.

Edited by jesterrace777, 09 April 2003 - 08:07 PM.

#10 kris

kris

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 08:15 PM

Thanks guys for all your help. So Matrix will not work on Versions 1.2? Ok, now how do I know it's v1.1 or v1.2??? Thanks and I appreciate all the help.

Here is a tutorial to find out the versions. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users