Mast3r Ch13f

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:36 AM

I ripped SMP to my PC HD so I can make a compilation disc with a couple other games (great space saver). But the problem is, SMP screws up Explorer for some reason (probably a weird character in the folder?). I cannot do anything with the SMP folder. I cannot move it, delete it... hell, I can't do anything with it, except to browse the folder. I get the following error if I try to do anything with it, "<Action Performed>: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

I've tried everything and I'm out of ideas. At this point I wouldn't mind deleting the damn thing, since it' occupying quite a bit of space. But then again I'd still like to continue making my compilation.

Any help at all will be appreciated.

Also I'm not going to rip it to my HD again... the last thing I need is for it to take up double the space, with me unable to delete either of them tongue.gif .

EDIT: I'm using XP Professional w/ SP2

Edited by Mast3r Ch13f, 01 September 2005 - 12:39 AM.

#2 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:53 AM

this sounds like it shoud be in pc chat since its your pc not deleting a file... you try booting in safe mode and deleting it? deleting from dos prompt?

#3 Mast3r Ch13f

Mast3r Ch13f

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 01:06 AM

Well it's not as simple as just deleting it. I can't use it at all. At this moment I really don't want to delete it until I finish making my compilation. The thing is - my PC will not let me use it... period. I can't even copy the SMP folder because I'll get the error stated above.

On my research of these types of errors I discovered that if the folder contains a weird character, it can confuse Explorer, thus, envoking the error I stated above. But I searched through all the files and couldn't find one with a weird character.

Considering that I'm trying to backup a Xbox game, I thought this section was appropriate.

I also tried safe mode.

Edited by Mast3r Ch13f, 01 September 2005 - 01:08 AM.

#4 hooshang

hooshang

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 01:47 AM

get a windows 98(SE) start up disk and set A: to first device to boot in BIOS (f8, del on blackscreen). It will automatically run your boot disk. Just use the dos coms to del the file from there.

You should be able to find a dl'able proggrie or the folders, batches off the net somewhere.

(though you could create a boot disk with winxp but it's like 4-5 diskettes.)

del it first then re-transfer the files through another method.

Edited by hooshang, 01 September 2005 - 01:48 AM.

#5 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:20 AM

At this moment I really don't want to delete it until I finish making my compilation.

well at this moment.. that seems like the wise thing to do and try to re-copy it.
thats what original discs are for wink.gif

Edited by ILLusions0fGrander, 01 September 2005 - 02:21 AM.

#6 Mast3r Ch13f

Mast3r Ch13f

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:36 AM

Arggg... DOS is telling me it couldn't find it mad.gif . Can anyone confirm that they've ripped this game to PC and didn't have these weird problems? I want to rip it again but I really don't want another 1+ GB folder I can't delete (or use) on my PC - so I just want to atleast confirm if this is just a freak incident that's only occuring on my PC or is it known to occur on all XP systems.

If I feel lucky I may rip it to my other XP system, using a different method to see if everything works fine.

Thanks for the replies so far.

#7 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:27 AM

didnt happen to mine... ripped to xbox using unleashX file manager.. FTP to pc using FlashFXP and made a multigame disc backup with that and 2 other games.. all went fine

Edited by ILLusions0fGrander, 01 September 2005 - 06:28 AM.

#8 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE(hooshang @ Aug 31 2005, 06:58 PM)
get a windows 98(SE) start up disk and set A: to first device to boot in BIOS (f8, del on blackscreen).  It will automatically run your boot disk.  Just use the dos coms to del the file from there. 

When you figure out how to get Windows 98 to read an NTFS disk, you let me know. jester.gif

#9 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE(Mast3r Ch13f @ Aug 31 2005, 07:47 PM)
Arggg... DOS is telling me it couldn't find it mad.gif .  Can anyone confirm that they've ripped this game to PC and didn't have these weird problems?  I want to rip it again but I really don't want another 1+ GB folder I can't delete (or use) on my PC - so I just want to atleast confirm if this is just a freak incident that's only occuring on my PC or is it  known to occur on all XP systems.

If I feel lucky I may rip it to my other XP system, using a different method to see if everything works fine.

Thanks for the replies so far.

View Post

Welcome to windows. I'm thinking your best bet would be to get a Linux boot disc and see if you can deal with the file that way. Unix handles these situations much better than windows. I've had the same problem before (although not with an XBOX game).

#10 EmersonBiggins

EmersonBiggins

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:07 AM

I Just had a similar problem with a SMP folder on my desktop, the problem is with the exclamation point at the end of Sid Meier's Pirates! the only way for me to delete it was to go to cmd and type this

rd /s "\\?\C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\Sid Meier's Pirates "

then hit enter then hit y and enter.

#11 siddle35

siddle35

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:48 PM

Arggg... DOS is informing me it couldn't hit it mad.gif . Can anyone reassert that they've ripped this line to PC and didn't love these uncanny problems? I poorness to rip it again but I truly don't necessary added 1+ GB folder I can't remove (or use) on my PC - so I virtuous poverty to atleast substantiate if this is conscionable a freak incident that's only occuring on my PC or is it famed to occur on all XP systems.

#12 lanxiang1

lanxiang1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

we can choose breakthrough, choose in passing, has more pick-and-roll way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users