X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:57 PM

Ave,

I've owned an XBOX for over an year now, soft modded it using idot's UDE2 Package, and have soft modded at least 5 xbox's since. Just purchased a brand new GameCube for my daughter and was thinking about soft modding it.

Would really appreciate any guidance or direction...

Thanks,
Mickey

#2 thewickedjester

thewickedjester

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 September 2005 - 03:39 PM

I'm pretty sure all the mods for Gamecubes are mod chips, and I beleive theirs only two of them.

Google it?

#3 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie & Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 September 2005 - 03:46 PM

No you can use the phantasy star loader.. only it is mega slow. there is also some sort of mem card boot. I dont own a game cube but I know there is the phantasy star way, something simialr to the ps2 mem card boot and then there is the chip.

#4 atomiX

atomiX

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts
  • Interests:Doesn't matter...
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 01 September 2005 - 03:51 PM

Yes, It's possible to softmod the gamecube. All methods culminate to the same thing; loading the GCOS app to allow you to boot backups. To boot GCOS, you can either USE PSO+BBA or Action Replay or MAX Drive Pro. Action Replay and MAX Drive Pro require either an official Nintendo memory card (mem card 59 is enough) or an SD card with SD card adapter. It's easier with SD card.

BTW, the Viper and Qoob aren't the only GC modchips out there. There's also the NinjaMod as well as the RipperCG. They don't seem to be as popular though and don't have some of the things the Viper and Qoob have.

Edited by atomiX, 01 September 2005 - 03:57 PM.

#5 Mickey79

Mickey79

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE(atomiX @ Sep 1 2005, 10:02 AM)
Yes, It's possible to softmod the gamecube. All methods culminate to the same thing; loading the GCOS app to allow you to boot backups. To boot GCOS, you can either USE PSO+BBA or Action Replay or MAX Drive Pro. Action Replay and MAX Drive Pro require either an official Nintendo memory card (mem card 59 is enough) or an SD card with SD card adapter. It's easier with SD card.

BTW, the Viper and Qoob aren't the only GC modchips out there. There's also the NinjaMod as well as the RipperCG. They don't seem to be as popular though and don't have some of the things the Viper and Qoob have.

View Post

Ave,

I actually did go through that sticky post up above and read a bit about the soft-modding methods. To be honest, they looked more tedious, more complicated, and definately more expensive then Chips. I'm kinda tilting towards a modchip now. I'm not afraid to open & solder, my problem was, i had only seen the ViperGC and i was not about to spend $59 for a modchip. I already spent a $100 on the GameCube.

You mentioned NinjaMod and RipperGC, how expensive are they and where can i find them? Also, i don't really care for a lot of functionality, all i really care for is playing backups.

Mickey

#6 rsd

rsd

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:31 PM

i think the qoob chips are great. i have a qoob pro and its great. you should look into the qoob sx if you just want a simple card that play backups.

#7 TKramka

TKramka

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Interests:Computer Technology, Xbox Hardware and Modding
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:13 AM

Yes, but the Qoob Pro has 2 megs of storage, and an MP3 Player cool.gif ... Oh, and don't forget an Icedcube case for that bad boy smile.gif

#8 atomiX

atomiX

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 04:25 AM

QUOTE(Mickey79 @ Sep 1 2005, 02:22 PM)
You mentioned NinjaMod and RipperGC, how expensive are they and where can i find them? Also, i don't really care for a lot of functionality, all i really care for is playing backups.

Mickey

View Post

I'd stay away from the NinjaMod for now since I've heard plenty of bad comments. As for RipperGC, I honestly don't know. Try finding reviews for yourself. The Qoob SX might be a good choice for you since it's less expensive than the ViperGC and Qoob Pro. It just doesn't have all the things the Pro has. If you just want to play backups, then the SX is for you.

#9 LepPpeR

LepPpeR

Author of Craxtion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 04:29 AM

ninja mod looks good. Its only 28 USD to. You can buy them at http://www.robotpig.com

‧ Direct No-Swap Boot of All Media
‧ Supports all Versions PAL/JAP/USA
‧ 16Megabit Flashrom
‧ Supports BIOS Updates via DVD or BBA
‧ Includes 2 Different Bios Banks
‧ Only 7 wires to solder
‧ All chips tested before shipping and updated to latest bios

The Ninja Mod is the latest modchip available for NGC consoles.
Compatible with all NGC models on the market and flash upgradable
to ensure your modchip never becomes obsolete
makes this a future proof chip. This chip has 16Mbits of
flashable memory making it great for code developers and
homebrew software enthuasists. Only 7 wires to solder and
available at an amazingly low price.

#10 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:15 PM

When buying a chip for the GC you need to look at the group behind it... unlike the Xbox the bioses are generally chip specific. There are SOME universal bioses but for the most part you'll want to use the bios specific to your chip.

With that said reading up on bios bugs, reliability, frequency of release, etc. I decided to get a Qoob for myself.

If you're into homebrew stuff, action replay, etc. then get a Qoob Pro hands down it will be the best chip for you. If you mostly just want a cheap way to play backups then I'd recommend the Qoob SX... I picked it up for $32 from the console corner.

The Viper is a good chip too but it's got the price tag of the Qoob Pro with the features of the Qoob SX... rolleyes.gif

A good resource is the Mod That Cube FAQ... it's got comparison charts for bioses and chips. Also take a look at the install guides... the Qoob and the Viper are the two easiest chips to install.

Also I'd recommend getting a BroadBand Adapter... you can get buy without one but if you want to rip and games or load homebrew apps from over the network you'll need one.

Also I should note that most chips ship with the ability to read DVDRs disabled to comply with the DMCA which means if a chips only 2 methods of flashing are DVD and BBA, the initial flash can only be done by the BBA (as was the case with my qoob sx)...

Also the bolts on the outside of the case are special game bits, if you don't have the right bit in your toolbox (most people don't) then you'll need to buy one, Alone they can run you anywhere from $4 to $9 + S&H plus you'll need a driver to actually use the bit. I happened to already have the right bits as they came in a set I bought years ago as part of an arcade repair kit (best $14 I ever spent) thought I've yet to find a set for sale online that includes the GC bolts with it.

Just some things to consider before diving into GC modding...

I'd strongly recommend reading through the Mod That Cube FAQ

#11 atomiX

atomiX

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:54 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself.

#12 gamerguy999

gamerguy999

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 07 September 2005 - 05:23 AM

Just wanted to say to twisted symphony.... THe Viper GC is $40, and The Qoob Pro is $55... At least at all the plalces I have looked at.

Oh and by the way, the Qoob SX doesn't have the built-in cheat system that the Viper GC has(and infact has no way of using them with out a BBA). The Qoob SX also doesn't have the ability to have a plugin like the Viper GC does.... With the plugin system on the Viper, you can flash almost any DOL file(converted to a CBP file) onto the chip, and launch it from the Cobra menu. It is pretty nice, as you can have the mp3 player plugin, or NGCDEV ripper or any of the other useful applications available.

#13 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 07 September 2005 - 08:37 PM

well I knew the Qoob SX didn't have those things but I wasn't aware that the Viper GC had the storage capacity to hold that stuff... beerchug.gif

Most places I've looked sold the Viper for $50...
BMMods
console Source
Extreme Mods
Game shop USA
Mod-Chip.com
Modchip Man
Modchip World

All sold them for about $50... heck some sites had it as high as $60

#14 gamerguy999

gamerguy999

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:46 PM

The viper has room for one plugin at a time, but you can freely remove, and flash, a new plugin anytime you want.

#15 naaktslak

naaktslak

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:19 PM

is it also possible to (soft)mod a Panasonic Gamecube?
http://www.ntsc-uk.c.../PanasonicQ.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users