12 replies to this topic

#1 stephenstashko

stephenstashko

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 07:58 AM

I recently ordered a Xerc MCE from SickMods.net and plan on doing a dual harddrive mod to my xbox.

The xerc has seven banks that you can toggle on and off, I was wondering if you could use some of these banks to switch relays on the 5v power to the harddrives?

Hopefully the end result being; when you're powering up your xbox with the remote, like the xerc is designed to do, you could switch between the two hard Drive's because obviously only 1 can be active on the Ide cable at a time.

I was wondering if anyone had done this, and if not, should it be possible? biggrin.gif

#2 leorimolo

leorimolo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 September 2005 - 02:41 PM

Xercs work with 5 volts youre hdds probably with 12v. Then pablot says you can attach a ccf of 12v but what it does is leaves part of the current flowing so no you cant. IF you had 2 laptop drives you could do the trick.

LEo beerchug.gif

#3 stephenstashko

stephenstashko

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 03:01 PM

From what I understand after pooring over some of the threads, is that you only need to switch the 5v power to deactive/activate the drives and a switch on either the jumpers or the third wire ide wire.

So I don't see why you couldn't use the Xerc with the proper relay. But then again I'm no expert on relays and thats why I posted this thread; maybe someone who know's a little more about elctronics and wiring could enlighten us. huh.gif

I know there are 5V relays that draw 40 milliamps

and

I know there are 3.3V/5volt relays relays but I don't understand how those one's work?

#4 stephenstashko

stephenstashko

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 03:02 PM

Where's Pablot when you need him? smile.gif

#5 stephenstashko

stephenstashko

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 03:35 PM

Here's a link discussing the dual Hd mod:
Dual Hard Drive Discussion

The pertinant info is on page 4

I know from my discussion with Pablot, that the Xerc is designed for switching 3.3v at 40 milli amps. What I don't know is if it can switch, 5V with the same current.

Provided that you only need to switch the 5V power, and if the xerc can handle that, I see no reason why it shouldn't work? Am I wrong? huh.gif

Edited by stephenstashko, 03 September 2005 - 03:37 PM.

#6 pablot

pablot

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:53 PM

the attiny that the xerc is based on can drive, or sink, 40mA at 5V or 3.3V depending on what voltage you have it connected too. So what is needed is two relays or a dual relay that can switch 5V and 12V with 5/3.3V and 40mA.

I strongly suggest that you switch both the 12 and 5V line.

Relays are before my time (I'm strictly digital =) so you'll have to hope that some one else can help yoyu with that part. I'll fix the firmware for you so that you can switch the drives.

regards
Pablot

#7 stephenstashko

stephenstashko

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:48 AM

Thanx a bunch for your help Pablot, biggrin.gif

and I appreciate the work you're doing on the firmware. beerchug.gif

I'll do some more invetetigating and see if infact the 12V switching is necessary but from what I heard it is not. But I have no desire to fry any of my drives either, so I'll make sure.

Now, can anyone out there give some advice on relays for this project?

#8 stephenstashko

stephenstashko

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:10 PM

bump

#9 stephenstashko

stephenstashko

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:12 PM

I think there might be some confusion as to what I'm proposing here.

The Xerc, will not be directly powering the hard drives!

The Xerc will howerer be powering relays that switch either the 5V, 12V, or both powers to the hard drives.

But I'm confused as to which powers need to be switched for the dual hd mod to work? huh.gif

Also, as stated earlier If anyone who knows about relays and the dual Hd mod could point me in the right direction as to what relays to use, it would be greatly appreciated!

#10 jimmypopali69

jimmypopali69

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:24 AM

Since Pablot is New School, let an old schooler tell you about relays smile.gif

Pablot was telling you exactly what you needed, Dual Relay or 2 relays
Relay 1) C=+12v , NO=Drive 1, NC=Drive 2
Relay 2) C=+5v , NO=Drive 1, NC=Drive 2
3.3vv @ mA relays are easy to get your hands on and are approx 1.89 at your local Fry's or other electronics store

C= Common, the source of voltage that wil be switched by the relay
NC = Normally closed, the position in which powered will be applied if the relay is OFF
NO = Normally open, the position in which powered will be applied if the relay is ON

If you need anything more than that, and you shouldnt, I will send you a schematic

Also , you SHOULD always switch 12v line with the 5v line, 12v is spinup power and motor power and 5v is logic. better to not spin your drives up without power to logic, 5v also is for head control.

Jimmy

#11 stephenstashko

stephenstashko

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:34 PM

Wow, that's the most useful info on the subject, anyone's given me in days, appreciate it! beerchug.gif

Yes, I found a place that sells the relays you're speeaking of and I'm going to order some shortly, but they tend to be steep on shipping. Do you know any good online, places that don't rape you on shipping? uhh.gif
I'm refering to Digikey by the way! tongue.gif

Their selection's great but, I bought 2 pretty rare (but regular sized) capacitors from them, they shipped them in a big box! and it cost me $20 for shipping when the caps only cost me $10. blink.gif

I don't have a local fry's though, unfortunately, but thanks for the help though.

#12 pablot

pablot

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(jimmypopali69 @ Sep 5 2005, 09:35 AM)
Since Pablot is New School, let an old schooler tell you about relays smile.gif

Pablot was telling you exactly what you needed, Dual Relay or 2 relays
Relay 1) C=+12v , NO=Drive 1, NC=Drive 2
Relay 2) C=+5v , NO=Drive 1, NC=Drive 2
3.3vv @ mA relays are easy to get your hands on and are approx 1.89 at your local Fry's or other electronics store

C= Common, the source of voltage that wil be switched by the relay
NC = Normally closed, the position in which powered will be applied if the relay is OFF
NO = Normally open, the position in which powered will be applied if the relay is ON
If you need anything more than that, and you shouldnt, I will send you a schematic

Also , you SHOULD always switch 12v line with the 5v line, 12v is spinup power and motor power and 5v is logic. better to not spin your drives up without power to logic, 5v also is for head control.

Jimmy

View Post

haha, perfect! =)

I shall remember you if I ever need help with relays or other oldschool stuff in the future! Awsome post! =)

Anyway.. I will write the firmware so that the harddrives only can be switched when the xbox is off, so that won't be a problem.

thanks again

/pablot

#13 jimmypopali69

jimmypopali69

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:01 PM

Lucky for me las vegas got a frys about 2 years ago smile.gif

if you would like I can snag a few relays for ya and ship them, ups envelope = $3.50

and like I said frys = 1.89 or so if i buy a 10 pack snap off box, which I will probably need anyway so if you are interested just reply

also for online ordering let me just say 1 thing
and before hand let me say sorry for the caps

NEWARK IN ONE ROCKS!!

I think there database is up to like 3.5 million components ATM if you have a dealer acct

Jimmy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users