• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 crystalbox

crystalbox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:41 AM

According to most websites, Ritek mini DVD-R's are the best format for the Modded Gamecube for using as backups.

Well, I have tried the following without success mad.gif (without tweaking the laser)
Benq - Full size DVD-R mad.gif
Maxell - Full size DVD-R mad.gif
Memorex - Full size DVD-R mad.gif
Fujifilm - Full size DVD-R mad.gif
Nexxtech - full size DVD-R (from the Source - AKA Radio Shack) mad.gif
Verbatim - mini DVD-R mad.gif

But, I tried a brand known as Ridata (full size discs). SUCCESS!!!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
Turns out that Ritek as goes under the name of Ridata and as is the brand name behind "The Office Depot".
These disks seem to work everytime without a problem.

I also was at a dollar store and thought I would try one more brand name just for the hell of it. So for a buck I tried a disk that went under the name of Imation (www.imation.com). Once again, SUCCESS!!! smile.gif

Anyways, for those of you having no luck with media backups give Ritek (AKA Ridata, AKA The Office Depot name brand) or imation a try.

Hope this helps with burning through some coasters in order to get your backups made.

#2 ronetone

ronetone

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:44 AM

you happen to know the media code for those media's that were sucess?

#3 crystalbox

crystalbox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:12 PM

Infortunately I do not know the product code for the particular disks. I am away from my regular computer for the next couple of days. But, I will look into it once I am back.

#4 TKramka

TKramka

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Interests:Computer Technology, Xbox Hardware and Modding
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:50 AM

Thats odd, the Maxell and the Fuji work on my GC, but to each his own drive revision...

#5 gamerguy999

gamerguy999

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:46 AM

It is not only dependent on what gamecube drive you have, but also what DVD burner you have....

#6 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE(gamerguy999 @ Sep 6 2005, 03:57 AM)
It is not only dependent on what gamecube drive you have, but also what DVD burner you have....

View Post

Yes absolutly!

I had a Sony something or other burner, it worked great with just about all media for my Xbox and PS2 but I burned about 4 coasters on Ritek G04 mini's for my GC... I bought a new NEC 3520A... Burned the same 4 ISOs in the same way with the same media and they all play great beerchug.gif

The Burner is just as important as the media your burning to.

#7 Krill123

Krill123

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 05:31 PM

I'm using Maxell DVD+R's and BenQ DVD+R's... All work great.

I run fstfix on my backups. And then burn them at 4x speeds. (Faster speeds created DRE's).

Fyi.

#8 Sigwood

Sigwood

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:23 AM

I started off with Memorex and Sony full-size DVD-R, because that is what I had sitting around, and both did not work very good in the Cube. Then I bought full-size FujiFilm discs, and they work every single time. No tweaking. I think the first thing anyone should do is try different media because you wouldn't want to buy a brand new burner and/or go in there tweaking your laser when all you need is a different (not necessarily better) media.

#9 Helios

Helios

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:43 AM

Hey have you guys ever heard of a DVD brand called Muller? Its in Australia and I am not sure about the US or UK but I was wondering if they worked. They seem to be good quality discs that are cheap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users