• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 stuepef22

stuepef22

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:33 AM

i recently moved into college and bought a ethernet cable, 12 month subscribtion card, and a head set. I tried to hook everything up and troubleshoot my connection but i cant get passed the IP selection. My ethernet cable is connected to a internet jack ( dont know the connection) in the wall. Still fails the IP test... please help! thanks

#2 tbone6

tbone6

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:46 AM

some networks make you register your MAC address before you can get online. See if your school does that.

ps-wrong forum

Edited by tbone6, 04 September 2005 - 09:50 AM.

#3 Janus408

Janus408

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:43 AM

I had the same problem with mine, but if you go through the xbox live options there was some setting that evolved mac-addressing or ip addressing being auto or manual, dont remember which was the wrong one, but it would be the opposite of what it is now... sorry i can be more specific, its been over a year...but if you mess around with it for a few minutes you should figure it out.

And most college campus's do not allow xbox live (anything but personal computers actually) so dont bother calling IT.

#4 Granulated

Granulated

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:06 PM

Alot of campuses use Packetshaper...look it up.

Make sure your port works...plug your computer in and make sure your port works.

#5 adenansu

adenansu

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:28 PM

if your campus won't let your xbox use the network, you could get a cheap dsl/cable router from dlink or linksys.

when you have your pc and xbox hooked up behind the router, you can put your pc's mac address in as the routers (its usually burried in the advance options), making the network think the router is actually your computer, and get around the packetshaping that way.

there are cheaper ways to do it, but since you don't know what an ethernet jack is named, i'm not going to try to tell you how to do it with a cheapo linux box tongue.gif

Edited by adenansu, 04 September 2005 - 06:32 PM.

#6 stuepef22

stuepef22

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:13 PM

what is a mac address and where do i find it? same with the IP for the xbox...sorry im pretty stupid when it comes to all this, thanks.

#7 benn0280

benn0280

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:27 PM

or you could use internet connection bridge windows, and a crossover cable going from your xbox, to your pc, (which would need a second ethernet card).... one you have your second card in your pc, all you would need to do select both of your connections, right click and select "bridge conections".

#8 leeloo5

leeloo5

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, BT, dvdshrink, messing with electronics, Half.com selling.

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:03 PM

what i do at college is this. Its the simplest way with no need to set anything up, hope it works for you.

I got a $20 router from the campus buy/sell website. a wired 4 port linksys one.

now, when i connect to the internet, the campus site comes up asking me to log on to identify my PC.

when i hook up the router, and hook up my pc. then i turn the pc on and the thing comes up. so i log on. Now what's happened (at least for me) is that the campus thinks my router is my pc, and i've just cleared my router.

so now anything i connect to the router (other pcs, or xbox) dont need to be checked by the campus.

that way i can play on XBconnect and Xlink Kai. dont have live though. Set it to DHCP (dynamic host something something) on the pc and xbox (which is the default).

#9 stuepef22

stuepef22

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:49 PM

ok thanks for all your help everyone, ill try to hook it up through a router to see if that works...if not than i give up.

#10 AlphaMarux

AlphaMarux

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:21 AM

I dont know about other colleges, but at mine, the easiest way to get on XBox live is to set all the settings to automatic, but in the advanced settings, change the MAC address to the same that your computer runs with. The computer's MAC address can be found by using

Start Menu>>>Run>>>cmd>>>ipconfig -all

2 things of importance though,

1) You cant run both your computer and Xbox Live like this in most cases or else the server will see both of the same MAC addresses and might cause probs.

2) After setting the new MAC address, you MUST restart the Xbox for the changes to take effect.

I Followed these steps and didnt have any probs.

#11 MickRaider

MickRaider

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts
  • Interests:I have no interests
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:11 AM

Also call MS. I was having the same problem and they had me up and running in minutes. Makes sure like DNS and IP are on automatic, etc.

#12 xPRimNT

xPRimNT

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 04:56 AM

As mentioned in previous posts, the router is the way to go.

At my residence last year, each student was assigned an IP, which had to be entered into your computer as a Static IP as well. Since there is no way to enter a static IP into an xbox for Live, I needed to assign my Router as that IP.

Then, you can use any computers/xboxs/whatever on your network like normal, provided you have DHCP turned on.

I also had to get an SSH tunnel with the gateway by "signing in" with a computer and leaving the connection open, then I could use it like normal.

Sorry if that didn't make sense.

xP

#13 toografik4u

toografik4u

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:10 PM

at my school we could do system link but no live, because of a firewall. so a bunch of us went to talk to the IT guy to see if he could help us out. we gave him the number to MS and he called and got the port numbers he had to open up. so now the ports are open and we play all the time. all we have to do is plug the ethernet cable into the xbox and the wall and we're off to Live

Edited by toografik4u, 14 September 2005 - 09:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users