Photo

Controller And Lightgun On The Same Port ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sh1Ft3R

Sh1Ft3R

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:19 PM

Hi,

Basically i have my xbox in an arcade cabinet all wired up and working well using mame, i recently brought a couple of lightguns to use in it as well. The problem i have is that in mame they only work in ports 1 and 2 so obviously iv goto unplug my arcade controls and in doing so i lose the credit option from the coin mech (just wired to a xbox button basicaly) so i cant start the games. What i want to know is can i wire the controls and the lightgun together and plug them into the same port or is this likely to damage something ?

Thanks for any help smile.gif

#2 jimmypopali69

jimmypopali69

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:51 PM

This post is MHO YMMV

Relays good chap, relays

1.) Start may be an issue, since I dont own a lightgun I dont even know if it has buttons that you can remap to start

The BEST way to pull the switch off is to relay your your whole plug, (I would say to relay just voltage BUT I dont have a lightgun so I cant disasemble it and check if it would passively interfere if you left the com lines connected)

This is assuming that your controllers come out of rubber gromets in the front of the arcade housing for that clean look, if not, do so smile.gif and grab a holder for your light guns to leave them up front

Required parts:

(1) 4x4x2 Housing
(1) proto board
(5) 5v relays @ 40~100mA (your switching max 5v so no worries about amp rating)
(1) D Flip Flop
(1) Large set of balls if this is your first logic circuit

Basicly you are going to switch 4 lines (5v gnd,D+,D-) YELLOW goes right to the gun

the controller cord, the light gun cord and a quick disconect cord, best idea is to atatch connectors to all 3 (your preference of type) light gun and from xbox need to be 5 pins min, controller is 4 pin min) your wiring is going to look like this

Yellow Red Black White Green

Xbox Gun RR/C BR/C WR/C GR/C

Controller N/C RR/Nc BR/Nc WR/NC GR/NC

Light Gun XBOX RR/NO BR/NO WR/NO GR/NO

Relays will be controlled as the following

Momentary Switch mounted on cabinet will have 1 leg to 5v, other leg will connect to flip flop

Flip Flop has following connections we need to worry about

Chip Connected to
Vcc 5v
Gnd Gnd
D Not Q
Clock Momentary switch
Q Controller Relay

The controller relay will control the voltage to the other relays(to keep from drawing too much power via Flip Flop

Controller Relay Connections (CR)

CR/+ Q
CR/- Gnd
CR/C +5V
CR/NC N/C
CR/NO Voltage to other relays

RED Relay Connections (RR)

RR/+ CR/NO
RR/- Gnd
RR/C RED from Xbox
RR/NC RED from Controller
RR/NO Red from Light Gun

BLACK Relay Connections (BR)

BR/+ CR/NO
BR/- Gnd
BR/C BLACK from Xbox
BR/NC BLACK from Controller
BR/NO BLACK from Light Gun

WHITE Relay Connections (WR)

WR/+ CR/NO
WR/- Gnd
WR/C WHITE from Xbox
WR/NC WHITE from Controller
WR/NO WHITE from Light Gun

GREEN Relay Connections (GR)

GR/+ CR/NO
GR/- Gnd
GR/C GREEN from Xbox
GR/NC GREEN from Controller
GR/NO GREEN from Light Gun

the logic here is this:
When the flip flop receives the leading edge of your momentary switch it changes the output of Q to its inverse( although without snagging one the first button press will only initiate the circuit not start the inversions, so when the machine is powered 2 presses are required to turn the gun on) if Q is high it turns the controller relay on which turns the other 4 relays on ( on = light gun on, off = controller) you also may want to add a status LED for the light gun, this actually solves the start problem as well, push button, hit start, hit button again to go back to gun. If you have any problems drop me a line

P.S. you can probably safely get your voltage of the 5v USB line (red) but if your controller is less than totally responsive or if rumbling resets the switch get it off MOBO

#3 jimmypopali69

jimmypopali69

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:56 PM

Just noticed the bit at the top you have a coin mech at the top, so this is retail open to public? if it is then instead of wiring the flip flop wire relays to a momentary switch in the holster of the gun, gun out of holster gun = ON, give them visual as well that gun is ON, for coin mech, when a coin is inserted then into controller mode, even if gun is on for about 1 second, long enough to relay to the controller send coin signal then relay back, I will design the circuit for you if this is what you want, either that or I am gettign ahead of myself and didnt read your post 100%

Jimmy

#4 Sh1Ft3R

Sh1Ft3R

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:15 PM

Thanks for the post, im a bit confused but thanks smile.gif

Its not for retail use exactly i just prefer havin to put coins in its more authentic smile.gif
Your more correct tho in your second post, i kinda understand what your saying and think it would work, if its not to much trouble can you design me a circuit please and if poss could you make it a visual thing with a diagram if it aint to much trouble.

Thanks so much for your help.

#5 jimmypopali69

jimmypopali69

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:19 PM

yah i will draw something up, i would have done ascii art, but no, lol

50% done making pic ATM

#6 Sh1Ft3R

Sh1Ft3R

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:19 AM

thanks again, my email is rick.underwood@freeuk.com if yuo need to send anything.

#7 Sh1Ft3R

Sh1Ft3R

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:21 AM

double post

Edited by Sh1Ft3R, 06 September 2005 - 08:22 AM.

#8 Sh1Ft3R

Sh1Ft3R

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:21 PM

^bump^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users