X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:25 PM

if it doesn't work in the uk, I got one word for you. EBAY

also lets hope that there some 360's available when you get here.

#17 AndreBoyle

AndreBoyle

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(iwannadie @ Sep 6 2005, 04:45 PM)
this whole topic is stupid. its obvious the costs of doing something like this isnt going to be saving money. if you want the system early then pay the extra money and deal with the hassle otherwise wait till you get back home.

How in the heck is the topic stupid?

I've already said that I stand to save quite a bit of money by doing this. Clearly you have more money than I do kicking around. If I buy it here, I won't have it to play with in the states.

The purpose of buying in the states is to enjoy it for a few weeks over Christmas but only if I can then use it when I come home.

Clearly if I have to sell it after my trip then it's not worth the hassle.

Dre

#18 iwannadie

iwannadie

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE(AndreBoyle @ Sep 6 2005, 10:00 AM)
How in the heck is the topic stupid?

I've already said that I stand to save quite a bit of money by doing this. Clearly you have more money than I do kicking around. If I buy it here, I won't have it to play with in the states.

The purpose of buying in the states is to enjoy it for a few weeks over Christmas but only if I can then use it when I come home.

Clearly if I have to sell it after my trip then it's not worth the hassle.

Dre

View Post

its been said how many times, you cant use the ntsc box in the uk without alot of hassle. youll need power converts and the hassle of that being plugged into the wall all the time. youll need the video converter. when you go back to the uk youll have to pay fees to bring the 360 out of the airport. then after all that you wont be able to buy games locally. youll have to import them paying shipping to get them to you plus fees per game. then your stuck with those games you cant trade/sell them in the uk cause noone will want an ntsc game. you cant take them to a friends 360 and play on. who knows what other region restrictions will be in that box. probally wont be able to go on live and buy stuff. so basically your spending alot of money to play the 360 while your in the us for a few weeks then when you get home you put up with major hassles? yea sounds like a brilliant plan to me.

#19 AndreBoyle

AndreBoyle

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(iwannadie @ Sep 6 2005, 06:23 PM)
so basically your spending alot of money to play the 360 while your in the us for a few weeks then when you get home you put up with major hassles? yea sounds like a brilliant plan to me.

View Post

You can't have read the threads too much can you!? I've already said that the cost of import is marginal in comparison to the savings made.

The power converter issue is not one, the power converts I already have are small, non obstrusive and free to me.

I really can't stress this point enough, NTSC is supported on all modern TVs in the UK. PAL isn't supported so widely in the US but we've been shipping NTSC capable TVs for years here. So that's not a restriction either.

In terms of sharing, etc with other XBOX users. I have no desire to do this so it's not an issue for me either. Fair enough that's your bag but I don't sit and play games all day. I do it for occasional relaxtion and prefer to use the XBOX as a media player.

Between my trips abroad and friends, etc the issue of getting import games is trivial.

So sorry mate, but this is NOT a load of hassle for me. It WILL save me money and, depending on issues which may or may not appear COULD be a good solution for me.

I know you're saying that it may not work but it equally might. The people on this forum are well enough armed to let me know if there is knowledge out there informing us that it 'should' work.

#20 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE(Xombe @ Sep 6 2005, 12:33 PM)
There hasn't been a non-handheld game system that didn't have regional lockouts on games since, what, the N64?

Games will be region-coded, mark my words.

View Post

SNES.

#21 AndreBoyle

AndreBoyle

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:35 PM

Didn't the SNES have the extra little bits of plastic in different locations based on the region you were in!?

Hardly region encoding I know.

#22 iwannadie

iwannadie

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(AndreBoyle @ Sep 6 2005, 10:41 AM)
You can't have read the threads too much can you!? I've already said that the cost of import is marginal in comparison to the savings made.

The power converter issue is not one, the power converts I already have are small, non obstrusive and free to me.

I really can't stress this point enough, NTSC is supported on all modern TVs in the UK. PAL isn't supported so widely in the US but we've been shipping NTSC capable TVs for years here. So that's not a restriction either.

In terms of sharing, etc with other XBOX users. I have no desire to do this so it's not an issue for me either. Fair enough that's your bag but I don't sit and play games all day. I do it for occasional relaxtion and prefer to use the XBOX as a media player.

Between my trips abroad and friends, etc the issue of getting import games is trivial.

So sorry mate, but this is NOT a load of hassle for me. It WILL save me money and, depending on issues which may or may not appear COULD be a good solution for me.

I know you're saying that it may not work but it equally might. The people on this forum are well enough armed to let me know if there is knowledge out there informing us that it 'should' work.

View Post

it seems you made your mind up long before you made the post then, why bother with the post? need people to approve it? no wonder you live under a monarchy you cant make a decission for yourself, need others to tell you what to do.

#23 AndreBoyle

AndreBoyle

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(iwannadie @ Sep 6 2005, 08:08 PM)
it seems you made your mind up long before you made the post then, why bother with the post? need people to approve it? no wonder you live under a monarchy you cant make a decission for yourself, need others to tell you what to do.

View Post

Wow, not only won't you admit that your viewpoint and use of the XBOX doesn't match everyone elses. You slag off our country. Wow.

Actually, I've made up my mind to buy the XBOX360 ... IF ... it would work when brought back. I don't need you or anyone else to make a decision for me, however it'd be nice if you had enough of a sense of community to help me be more informed.

I really don't see the need to make monarchy related comments like that. It doesn't benefit anyone.

#24 NeuroChemist

NeuroChemist

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Interests:stuff
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:07 PM

not to mention the u.s. isnt really in the position to be laughing at other governments smile.gif

Edited by NeuroChemist, 06 September 2005 - 07:09 PM.

#25 Greyfoxwolf

Greyfoxwolf

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:22 PM

AndreBoyle i hate to break it to ya but iwannadie is right, you have already made up your mind and just want a confirmation of the "flok" , very human but absolutly unnecessary in this case.

#26 AndreBoyle

AndreBoyle

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:08 PM

Guys, I'm sorry but I am not looking for any form of approval. My query was whether or not anyone knew if the XBOX would work in the UK. As I said before, I WOULD buy the the 360 IF it would work in the UK.

This isn't seeking approval, it's looking for confirmation of suitabaility for the product outside of it's target marketplace. Believe me, they are two different things.

It's not discimilar to me deciding to buy a car from the USA IF it can be made road-worthy in the UK. The decision has been made but will only be acted upon un der confirmed circumstances.

The point of asking the question was to see if anyone has any actual knowedge of region based restrictions rather than pure speculation.

Edited by AndreBoyle, 06 September 2005 - 10:12 PM.

#27 Greyfoxwolf

Greyfoxwolf

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:12 PM

if you have a propper tv (that supports ntsc) and a propper power converter which the 360 PSU will accept, keeping it short: if you have some common sense....it will work,
i suppose this is the awnser you are looking for.

end of this meaningless discussion

#28 AndreBoyle

AndreBoyle

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE(Greyfoxwolf @ Sep 6 2005, 11:23 PM)
end of this meaningless discussion

View Post

I know about the technicalities of plugging it in and seeing a picture. That's just the same as a DVD player. I was more interested in playing games, watching movies, going onto Live and the other features it offers.

I honestly don't see why this is a pointless discussion. It has a very well defined and useful point at the start before it went off-topic.

Anyway, I now know that there is little knowledge out there about the region-specific restrictions so for me the case is closed until some 'solid' information is available.

#29 Greyfoxwolf

Greyfoxwolf

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE(AndreBoyle @ Sep 6 2005, 11:26 PM)
Anyway, I now know that there is little knowledge out there about the region-specific restrictions so for me the case is closed until some 'solid' information is available.

View Post

OMFG...you have got to be kidding me, so why the hell ask it???
now im pissed, AndreBoyle im gonna find you and make you buy that ntsc xbox360, if it is the last thing ill do muhaha.gif

#30 AndreBoyle

AndreBoyle

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:24 PM

I coudn't find information myself scanning the pages of sites that I had found. As this is one of the better forums I use for finding XBOX info I thought I'd ask the question and see what information people here knew.

There's the reason to ask the question..... to get a definitive answer as I believe the people on this forum are generally very well informed.

To be honest I've also generally found people helpfull towards one another so don't know why in the heck I'm getting hassled.

Look, I'm sorry I asked the question and riled everyone up.

Edited by AndreBoyle, 06 September 2005 - 10:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users