• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 general_morph

general_morph

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:39 PM

Hi, I've for long known that this hasn't been working as it should but didn't really care until now. My problem is that when i play a file that has (an .avi file if it makes any difference) the resolution 1280x720 (in other words 720p) in Xbox Media Center the image is choppy/laggy.

My video settings are set to 720p in the original bios and there is no problem playing a game that supports 720p mode.

Is there something I'm missing or is xbox too bad hardware-wise to be able to play video files on such high resolutions?

Edited by general_morph, 07 September 2005 - 07:39 PM.

#2 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:56 PM

So if the source video (avi itself) is in a high resolution it very well may be choking the Xbox. The XBox has no problem scaling a video to 720p/1080i from a lesser resolution source but playing native HD files is just a bit much at times. 1080i native files have never worked. Some people have had success with 720p or close to that point resolutions, maybe mess with the cache a bit (i.e. lower it for more memory access) or expiriment with both cache and playing from the HD or a wired LAN vs. wireless if you are streaming the file.

My setup has upscaling to 1080i to match my television. I am routinely able to play 960x528 high resolution files with AC3 sound that I download from Bittorent. Basically anything here that says HR.HDTV in the title: http://10mbit.com:69...?filter=TV Show. They play absolutely perfectly unless I downsize them into a tiny window (i.e. the display button on the remote) and start browsing around in which case I've gotten stuck twice.

So that should get you moving in the right direction. I use XBMC version 1.1, some of the newer releases might be a tad more efficient in memory and might give you an edge, I know upgrading to 1.1 allowed 5 megapixel pictures to be handled in a slideshow at 1080i where before I used to have to back out each time under much older versions. To my knowledge XBMC doesn't make use of more than 64MB of Ram so even if you upgrade the XBox to 128MB I don't believe it will utilize it.

Some stuff to consider.

#3 general_morph

general_morph

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:50 PM

Alright, thanks a bunch for this. I was acctually going to experiment with the chace settings, and with your insight, I've gotten a more wide view on what's going on. I've had no problem what so ever playing "HR.HDTV" files at all as the resolution is, as you mentioned, 960x528. But when I took the next step to "720p.HDTV" it just couldn't handle it. I'll mess around a bit and hope I'll get this working.

Thanks again smile.gif

#4 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 September 2005 - 11:41 PM

Remember the XBOX is a slow 700MHz old Pentium processor.

It works great as a games console, leaves a lot to be desired as a computer. beerchug.gif

#5 patto

patto

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:08 AM

yeah HD video is a bit too much for a 733mhz beast, my 1.9ghz athlon even has trouble

#6 general_morph

general_morph

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:07 AM

After some extensive experimenting with the cache and other stuff I came up with nothing..

But just recently I decided to make an upgrade of my XBMC to the latest version which is XBMC-CVS_2005-09-27. And all of a sudden the 720p playback worked without a single chop anywhere. smile.gif

Just wanted to let you guys know, incase any of u will ever attempt to do this so u now know the solution smile.gif

#7 HomaNL

HomaNL

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE(general_morph @ Oct 4 2005, 04:18 AM)
After some extensive experimenting with the cache and other stuff I came up with nothing..

But just recently I decided to make an upgrade of my XBMC to the latest version which is XBMC-CVS_2005-09-27. And all of a sudden the 720p playback worked without a single chop anywhere. smile.gif

Just wanted to let you guys know, incase any of u will ever attempt to do this so u now know the solution smile.gif

View Post

Lo m8,
I was wondering if it still is working as you say. I also have problems running a 720p avi movie being choppy and all. I tried everything and am currently running the build 05-10-2005 CVS XMBMC..I flashed the bios and scaled up the cache..but no luck....
anybody any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users