• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jermatic2076

jermatic2076

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 04:56 AM

Ok, Everyone I have a couple of questions.

I know most of these probably have already been asked.

But,

1. Will Win98 run faster on a 128mb Xbox, You know, through the whole Linux and Qemu stuff?

2. Can I make HDD image files the size of 20GB? biggrin.gif

3. Will Win98 or win2000 work fully functional with Qemu under Linux,
besides the issue of speed (memory)?

I would appreciate all supportive answers?.

My friend is trying to solder memory chips on top of eachother, not together but solder the pins together. All I told his dumb ass good luck idiot.!!!!!!

#2 x-fox

x-fox

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(jermatic2076 @ Sep 10 2005, 06:07 AM)
Ok, Everyone I have a couple of questions.

I know most of these probably have already been asked.

But,

1. Will Win98 run faster on a 128mb Xbox, You know, through the whole Linux and Qemu stuff?

2. Can I make HDD image files the size of 20GB?  biggrin.gif

I would appreciate all supportive answers?.
My friend is trying to solder memory chips on top of eachother, not together but solder the pins together. All I told his dumb ass good luck idiot.!!!!!!

View Post

Yes it does. I have 128mb installed and there is notable increase in speed. I am working on getting the qemu accelerator working but I am having problems with that under xdsl.

2. Can I make HDD image files the size of 20GB?

No I think qemu can only handle hd image files of 2GB or less. At least that was the case when I last looked. Check out the qemu site for more info.

I dont know about win2000 because I have not tried it but win95/98 are fully functional and in my experience with both win95/98 on older systems the xbox copes extremely well.

I think you have bear in mind that although these are old operating systems now, which is not a bad thing in my opinion. There is abundance of great software for 95/98 that is free to download. There have also been hundreds of tweaks and fixes published over the years that can be applied to make 95/98 extremely stable on the Xbox.

One last point although not related to your question. Windows 95/98 is not actually being emulated through qemu. Windows is actually being run against an emulated x86 processor by qemu. Qemu is machine emulator not a software emulator like many in this forum seem to think. Using qemu combined with the qemu accelerator will give near native performance as the actual Xbox processor is used instead of the emulated one.

#3 friedgold

friedgold

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 September 2005 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(x-fox @ Sep 10 2005, 03:05 PM)
Yes it does. I have 128mb installed and there is notable increase in speed. I am working on getting the qemu accelerator working but I am having problems with that under xdsl.

I've had the kqemu accelerator working under an earlier version of X-DSL. You'll need the kernel-headers for X-DSL (available from sourceforge if you are using the latest version) and the SDL headers installed to compile. One problem I came up against was that gcc-2.95 is needed to compile the kernel module (to match the gcc version used to compile the kernel) but gcc-2.95 won't compile qemu. To get around this I built the kernel module seperately by changing the gcc symlink to point to gcc-2.95 and running make inside the kqemu subdirectory.

No I think qemu can only handle hd image files of 2GB or less. At least that was the case when I last looked. Check out the qemu site for more info.
I dont know about win2000 because I have not tried it but win95/98 are fully functional and in my experience with both win95/98 on older systems the xbox copes extremely well.

I haven't tried creating a qemu image bigger than 2Gb but are you sure it's Qemu which places this limitation upon you? The filesize on the fatx filesystem is limited to 4Gb. Alot of the tools in X-DSL are based on a busybox build which doesn't have large file support (>2Gb). This can be solved by getting restoring the GNU tools.

#4 jermatic2076

jermatic2076

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 04:55 PM

Ah man, Thanks For the great answers guys. But I forgot to ask one good question.

Can Qemu map Fatx Drives (C,D,E,F,X,Y,Z) to the OS running on Qemu?

Thnx

#5 friedgold

friedgold

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:44 PM

You can't access these partitions directly when in qemu. However it is possible to share these drives using samba on the host machine and access them as a network share on the guest.

#6 sick_mate_xbox

sick_mate_xbox

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Interests:-Skateboarding<br />-My VT Commodore<br />-Xbox Modding<br />-Rachael :)<br />-Snakes
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:22 AM

Will Win98 or win2000 work fully functional with Qemu under Linux,

could you get windows 2000 working the same way as they get 98 running through XDSL. make an image of it, etc?

#7 Scramble

Scramble

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:20 PM

Can somebody give a step by step guide on how to get QEMU accelerator running?
Is there a precompiled download available?

#8 jermatic2076

jermatic2076

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:45 PM

Ok, I will search for a precompiled QEMU Accelerator, I need one myself. smile.gif
If I do find it I will up the link with megaupload.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users