#1 Cathesdus

Cathesdus

X-S X-perience

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:16 PM

Ok here's my situation. ATM, I don't have a router and need a solution for something in the meantime. The PC is hooked up to the modem through the USB connection and I still have the ethernet port left (I have both ports on the back of th modem). If I plug both the Xbox and the PC in at the same time, both the USB and Ethernet lights blink, but only one thing seems to get Internet at any given time (usually the box). Anyways, I have also noticed through running winipcfg on my computer (Win98SE) that the ip address is different than the xbox by one number when they are both hooked up (PC ends with 178, Xbox ends with 179) however I can't for the life of me FTP or network the two together. Is it possible for me to somehow do this?

Please don't be afraid to start talking about DNS or Gateways, I have a pretty sound understanding of networking but this one has got me stumped. I'll give any information I can!

Thanks,
Cathesdus

Edited by Cathesdus, 10 September 2005 - 08:18 PM.

#2 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,735 posts
  • Interests:#lordvader129
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:20 PM

do you have an ethernet port on the PC? if so plug the xbox into that port with a crossover cable and share the ethernet internet connection, both xbox and PC should then have net connections and should be able to communicate with eachother

if the PC doesnt have an ethernet port get a PCI card, they cost like 7 bucks and take 2 minutes to install

#3 camp

camp

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:22 PM

Only one is getting internet at a time because your cable modem probably is only set to support 1 ip address. Set your PC off DHCP and Set your xbox to static ip.
When you take both off DHCP, you won't have any internet access for either machine.

PC Settings:
IP: 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

XBOX Settings:
IP: 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

let me know how that works

#4 Cathesdus

Cathesdus

X-S X-perience

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:27 PM

Damn that was fast!

Anyways lordvader first:

The PC is hooked to USB because the mobo is a bit old and doesn't support Ethernet cards. I know this personally and it was confirmed by the guy who came to install our highspeed. Well he couldn't get the USB connection to work either so I went into the bios and found out that USB was disabled so I re-enabled it and then hes like I can't help you anymore and i'm like ok. Anyways, spent like 30 minutes on dial up and found the Win98 drivers and installed themm. Comp just can't handle Ethernet. Any more ideas would be appreciated.

camp, how would I go about setting my PC to a static IP? I'm sure it would be in Network Configuration but which one...

Also, we need to know if it's even possible to use my modem as a ghetto router. What about if I left it plugged in but disconnected the cable line? First tell me how to change from dhcp to static.

Thanks you two

EDIT: Oh and for what it's worth, my subnet mask is 255.255.254.0 - I've never even heard of that...

Edited by Cathesdus, 10 September 2005 - 08:29 PM.

#5 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • 17,735 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE(Cathesdus @ Sep 10 2005, 03:38 PM)
The PC is hooked to USB because the mobo is a bit old and doesn't support Ethernet cards.  I know this personally and it was confirmed by the guy who came to install our highspeed.  Well he couldn't get the USB connection to work either so I went into the bios and found out that USB was disabled so I re-enabled it and then hes like I can't help you anymore and i'm like ok.  Anyways, spent like 30 minutes on dial up and found the Win98 drivers and installed themm.  Comp just can't handle Ethernet.  Any more ideas would be appreciated.

View Post

that is complete and utter BS, if a PC can handle USB it can sure handle a ethernet card, maybe you dont have a PCI slot for one? you can a USB to ethernet dongle

#6 camp

camp

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:40 PM

Oh and for what it's worth, my subnet mask is 255.255.254.0 - I've never even heard of that...

shouldn't matter, your changing it anyway...

I think you said Win98, go into Network Connections..I never used USB but it should show up somewhere, usually Local Area Connection or something...Open that then go down to TCP/IP Settings. Click Properties, Settings should say Obtain IP Automatically and Obtain DNS automatically...This is where you can specify static IP address, leave DNS to obtain automatically. Hit close, Win98 might ask you to restart...

BTW I agree with lordvader, you can use a ethernet in your PC I'd put money on it...if your cable modem won't act as a hub, go out and buy a ethernet card, and plug it into your PCI slot on your mobo and then go buy a crossover cable because you dont have a hub or router then just connect both machines directly

Edited by camp, 10 September 2005 - 08:43 PM.

#7 Cathesdus

Cathesdus

X-S X-perience

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:41 PM

So your saying the guy BS'ed me? Probobly the company trying to save money and bandwidth from my account... Bastards. Ill take your word for it since I'm sure you know a hell of a lot more then I do but given the situation, is there anything I can do with what I have?

#8 camp

camp

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:45 PM

try what i said, if that don't work spend the $20

#9 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • 17,735 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE(Cathesdus @ Sep 10 2005, 03:52 PM)
So your saying the guy BS'ed me?  Probobly the company trying to save money and bandwidth from my account...  Bastards.  Ill take your word for it since I'm sure you know a hell of a lot more then I do but given the situation, is there anything I can do with what I have?

View Post

the only legit reason i can think of for the guy to say that is maybe you dont have any open PCI slots, but if thats the case im sure theres something you can remove like a dial up modem or somehing

#10 Cathesdus

Cathesdus

X-S X-perience

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 01:57 AM

camp, IT WORKS! Thanks a lot! It only transfer at about 600kb/s and I do have to lose inet while its set like that but who cares? Thanks you guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users