15 replies to this topic

#1 UnLckyN

UnLckyN

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 02:05 AM

I bought a new dell about 4 or 5 months ago and i formated it and installed xp and everything. It basicalyy ran really good, no real speed issues but lately its become a pain in the ass. Ive done everything i could think of to speed it up I deleted and uninstalled a lot of programs and files, I ran virus and and adware scans, I use firefox to avoid viruses and adware, i cleaned out the regestry the only thing i havent done is reformated and I really dont want to becuase its such a pain to backup all my files,music, movies etc.. So does anyone know a way to speed this thing backup?

edit: and I just realized that I havent defreggmented Im going to try that later tonight.

Edited by UnLckyN, 11 September 2005 - 02:06 AM.

#2 ridefour15

ridefour15

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:08 PM

If there are no speed issues, how is it becoming a pain in hte ass?

Try a system restore to the last time it wasn't a pain, and it should IIRC keep all your files.

#3 xboxmodder4life

xboxmodder4life

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:15 PM

he said there are speed issues lately, there weren't any when he first bought it

Any way Just reformat and install all that virus/spyware shit before u start going around downloading stuff and visiting websites. If you want 100% fix just start from scratch that's been my expierence

#4 xboxmodder4life

xboxmodder4life

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:17 PM

****DOUBLE******

Edited by xboxmodder4life, 11 September 2005 - 04:17 PM.

#5 Psykomantis00

Psykomantis00

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:13 PM

Ok first of all, its not reformating. Its a simple format.

Go to you start menu, and hit run, then type in msconfig, select "selective startup" then hit the selective tab and disable them all. Then restart and it should load alot faster and run better.

#6 CamdogXIII

CamdogXIII

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Interests:Modding xbox's, building computers.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:17 PM

however if he does that then most of his shit won't work, so just disable the ones that you don't know

#7 Psykomantis00

Psykomantis00

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE(CamdogXIII @ Sep 11 2005, 07:28 PM)
however if he does that then most of his shit won't work, so just disable the ones that you don't know

View Post

No, all of his progams will still work. Disable everything.

all that does is keep them from loading at startup, everything still works fine.

#8 Trigunner

Trigunner

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:12 PM

bored of this site? want a change of scenery? or do you just feel like this forum isn't giving you what you need? GO TO HTTP://GAIAEVOLED.COM for an awesome community, anime and manga, fanart fanfics, xbox, ps2, general gaming, PC, chit-chat, everything you could wish for, it's fun and you will so many more friends CHECK IT OUT MAN!

#9 UnLckyN

UnLckyN

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:31 PM

Go to you start menu, and hit run, then type in msconfig, select "selective startup" then hit the selective tab and disable them all. Then restart and it should load alot faster and run better.

Thanks Ill try that and if its still running slow I guess ill just format and start over beerchug.gif

Edit:And would someone ban trigunner please

Edited by UnLckyN, 11 September 2005 - 07:37 PM.

#10 Psykomantis00

Psykomantis00

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE(UnLckyN @ Sep 11 2005, 08:42 PM)
Thanks Ill try that and if its still running slow I guess ill just format and start over  beerchug.gif

Edit:And would someone ban trigunner please

View Post

Nah no need to format. Just delete anything you dont want or need. Anyprogram you dont know what it is, delete it. More than likely its spyware. Defrag your computer, do the msconfig, then maybe it will all be back to normal, well it should anyway. Also idk if Im just lucky or what... but Ive not use a antivirus program in over 4 years and havent had a problem yet. Maybe its just I know what to install and how to keep stuff from being installed, and Im sure I have a virus or trojan or something on here, but nothing thats causeing me any problems. Just disable it and scan once a month or something like that. Or take it completely off, that works too.

#11 UnLckyN

UnLckyN

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 03:13 AM

Nah no need to format. Just delete anything you dont want or need. Anyprogram you dont know what it is, delete it. More than likely its spyware. Defrag your computer, do the msconfig, then maybe it will all be back to normal, well it should anyway. Also idk if Im just lucky or what... but Ive not use a antivirus program in over 4 years and havent had a problem yet. Maybe its just I know what to install and how to keep stuff from being installed, and Im sure I have a virus or trojan or something on here, but nothing thats causeing me any problems. Just disable it and scan once a month or something like that. Or take it completely off, that works too.

Yeah thats what I do with my virus scaner (I use AntiVir xp) and I know all about spyware/adware Im experienced with computers and im sure thats wasnt the problem. I use a few scanners and i keep my hdd pretty organized but every computer Ive had has always eventually slowed down to the point where I just get sick of trying to figure out whats slowing it down so much and format and install windows fresh.
When I first got it up and running I could have 3 or 4 pages in mozilla open have mp3s playing in winamp and browse through folders all at the same time and almost without a stutter or slowdown but lately I couldnt play winamp if I ran anything else becuase it stuttered to much (yes I tried numerous media players) folders took much longer to open and when I opened 2 pages in mozilla it slowed down alot. I didnt have any other programs running in the backround and It still ran like shit. I ran system restore to about a month ago and cleaned everything up and ran defrag so now its running pretty good but I think it couldnt hurt to bhuy some more ram though since Ive only got 512 megs.
Thanks again for the help though beerchug.gif

Edited by UnLckyN, 13 September 2005 - 03:14 AM.

#12 DjO

DjO

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:49 PM

you need tune-up utilities 2004 and that will help out alot with cleaning out the registry and the hard drive with all that unwanted crap. It also has a feature to scan your system to figure out how to make it faster.

#13 dava_bran

dava_bran

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:xbox, drinking, beating off, smoking, and sleeping. (note these are in no peticular order).
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 14 September 2005 - 02:18 AM

if you do decide to format partition your hard drive. I made a 10 gig partition for windows and made the rest of the space for media and other stuff. This way if your computer crashes or is running slow just reformat your 10 gig windows partition when you start with your fresh windows xp your second partition with all your media on it will still be there just like it was before.

#14 UnLckyN

UnLckyN

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 02:38 AM

if you do decide to format partition your hard drive. I made a 10 gig partition for windows and made the rest of the space for media and other stuff. This way if your computer crashes or is running slow just reformat your 10 gig windows partition when you start with your fresh windows xp your second partition with all your media on it will still be there just like it was before.

Now theres a good idea beerchug.gif

#15 Anomaly

Anomaly

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:24 AM

After years of putting up with Win98 I have what I think is the best system for XP.

I have my HDDs separated in three partitions - System, Apps and Data. I keep a Norton Ghost image of the System and Apps partitions and the Data is backed up normally.

So, whenever XP screws up, I just extract the Ghost image over System. Very quick and easy, and no need to format. It's back up in 15 minutes max.

Also, I only keep the apps I actually need on the PC and if I really need to try out something new, immediately uninstall it afterwards. With a 100Mbps internet connection my PC spends most of its life dowloading stuff, not actually running applications beyond Internet Explorer.

Anyway, I can't recommend separating the XP system part enough. Also, whenever you install something, make sure it's not installed in C:\Program files. Just get into the habit of changing it to D:\Program files. This way your backup of C: is always very light.

XP may not be perfect, but it's 1000% better than that Win98 POS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users