7 replies to this topic

#1 HMaster92

HMaster92

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:18 PM

Hello I have a maxtor 200gb hard drive that some times will boot and other times it will mak eclicking noises and get hard drive error 7 and fo r a hile this would only happen now and then but now it is becoming more frequent and some times while i'm playing a game after 30 min to an hour and 30 min it will make a licking sound and the xbox will freez blink.gif does this mean I need a new hard drive and the hard drive is almost dead?

#2 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:22 PM

Clicking = bad. You need a new drive.

#3 Cold|Fusion

Cold|Fusion

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE(HMaster92 @ Sep 11 2005, 07:29 PM)
Hello I have a maxtor 200gb hard drive that some times will boot and other times it will mak eclicking noises and get hard drive error 7 and fo r a hile this would only happen now and then but now it is becoming more frequent and some times while i'm playing a game after 30 min to an hour and 30 min it will make a licking sound and the xbox will freez blink.gif does this mean I need a new hard drive and the hard drive is almost dead?

View Post

Most likely on it's way out. First and most importantly, if you use your drive locked, backup the hdd pass (c:/backup) in the event that it does die, and it is locked. Secondly, I would backup everything else you want to keep now also, format, the drive, and rebuild it, then ftp everything you backed up, back to it, and see how it goes for another while.

#4 PimpleX

PimpleX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:31 PM

Repeated clicking of the heads at boot (giving error 07 on the XBOX) is often a control board fault on the hard disk. I've swapped control boards on HDs (same make and model) to fix and recover data in the past and it often works.

If you can find a faulty one with a different fault then you could try that.

Cheers,

PimpleX

#5 HMaster92

HMaster92

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:59 PM

thanks every one I think I'll just burn dvd's of what I want and send it back under warrenty (formating the drive if I can of course wink.gif )

#6 HMaster92

HMaster92

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:20 AM

well I took my hard drive out and put it in my computer and there were no partitions or any thing (this drive was not locked) so then i formattd it and used it in my computer for a little bit then (and it never clicked it also passed all the maxtor tests) but when I put it in my xbox after instlling slayers it will click and then freez i am begining to think this is a power isue or one of the cables is damaged

#7 PimpleX

PimpleX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:04 PM

It could be a slack power connector plug in the XBOX. If it slides on and off the power connector easily then make it a tighter fit by bending in the sides of the female pins in the power connector a bit (from O to 0) so it makes much firmer contact on the pins.

Otherwise inspect the IDE cable and change it if suspect. Try it without the DVD plugged in as well.

Cheers,

PimpleX

#8 HMaster92

HMaster92

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:43 AM

well I solved the problem I looked at the hard drive power cable and the side that was facing the motherboard had a little insulation missing (on the ground and +12) so i put electric tape on that and have not had a problem since biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users