9 replies to this topic

#1 n8playa

n8playa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 10 April 2003 - 05:01 PM

i see that TDK released a DVD burner, i own a cd burner from them and have had no problems with it. would anybody recomend it for xbox?

#2 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 April 2003 - 07:55 PM

For the Price they are charging for it NO!! The burner isn't bad but for $300 to just have +R/+RW capabilities is a bit expensive. For an additional $50 you can get the dual format sony which supports DVD-R/-RW in addition to DVD+R/+RW. -R discs can be a fair bit cheaper if you know where to look so the $50 difference would eventually pay for itself. You can also get a 4x Cendyne/Pioneer DVD-R/-RW burner for a fair bit less than $300 if you keep your eye out for special offers.

#3 n8playa

n8playa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 09:01 PM

i have looked on pricewatch.com and i see the pioneer dvdr, but its not the same dvd burner that everybody says to buy. anybody mind sugesting a place to get a nice dvd burner for a nice low low price ?(i know it may be a impossible request, but i still live at home and trying to save money and all that)

-n8playa jester.gif dry.gif

#4 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 01:34 AM

where are you located (i.e. US, Canada, UK)? Makes a big difference in where to recommend buying a DVD burner. If you are in the US then keep an eye out at either Staples or Officemax for specials on the 4x Cendyne DVD-R/-RW burner (which is in fact a Pioneer 105 burner with a different label on the box). When all is said and done (after mail-in rebate) these burners can be picked up for under $200. A great deal on a great drive. I have one of these and couldn't be happier.

#5 PM5K

PM5K

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 01:52 AM

I don't know which one you are referring to but the one I've heard the most about is the Sony which writes all four formats, however it's 419.00 @ NewEgg and they have some of the best prices on the net and they are reputable, that's 120.00 more than the TDK, also the Sony is often out of stock, as it is @ NewEgg, however I'm sure if you are persistant you can get your hands on one.

I have the TDK DVD+RW and I couldn't be happier with it.

#6 n8playa

n8playa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 02:30 AM

this may sound like a stupid question, but what is the difference in a burner that can burn dvd+r/w and a dvd-r/w??

#7 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 04:07 AM

For PM5K the only sony I know of that should cost that much is the external one. The internal dru500ax is $350 at virtually any retail store (my local circuit city sells them for this much). If Newegg is charging that much for an internal Sony then they are flat out robbing thier customers. For n8playa the difference between + and - is simply just the format itself. You can't write DVD+R/+RW with a drive that only writes DVD-R/-RW and vice-versa. Both are about the same for compatibility in the XBOX and stand alone DVD players (provided you use quality media). DVD-R has a little bit of a price edge if you don't mind shopping online. If you have a Samsung drive in your XBOX I would definitely recommend getting a burner that supports DVD-R since Samsungs seem to have problems with +R/+RW media. In either case stick to write once discs for best results as RW have a much lower compatibility rating in General. I hope this helps

Edited by jesterrace777, 12 April 2003 - 09:05 PM.

#8 MacGuyver_3030

MacGuyver_3030

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 04:35 AM

search ebay, those cendyne ones for about $150 usd, sweet deals

#9 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 05:54 PM

It's actually closer to $200 on those but still a pretty good deal.

#10 n8playa

n8playa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 07:45 PM

yea jester that helped, thank you and to all that replyed

-n8playa pop.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users