#3 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:57 PM

well i cant see the article until im out of work but gathering from the title they are able to have up to 35000 people watching a race at the same time?! that is hell of a lot more then i thought they would have watching a race. if other developers can fallow through with this that would be a huge step in making an interactive medium a non interactive one. biggrin.gif

with developers making strides with game development like this, I can see how MS is targeting TV shows like american idol to spread the game market.

#4 jaskerzada006

jaskerzada006

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:00 PM

That reminds me of "Barkley Shut up and Jam" on SEGA Genisis.

#5 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:02 PM

thats a LOT of people in that crowd, and just 1 corner?!

they dont allow img linking sad.gif

Edited by Deftech, 12 September 2005 - 07:03 PM.

#6 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(Deftech @ Sep 12 2005, 02:13 PM)

they dont allow img linking  sad.gif

View Post

they fit 35000 people on one corner?!?!

#7 miggidy

miggidy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:22 PM

Bizarre Creations Studio Update 12

Wow, that's a LOT of spectators...

Blimey, what an interesting week! Loads of cool stuff has been happening, including some shenanigans with bits of interesting paper, but most of which I can't tell you about (I can hear the ninja lawyers already!)... There's still plenty to cram into an update though, so fret not.

Firstly, development on PGR3 is going well. The soundtrack is almost finalised, and I've had it playing on loop for the best part of this week. What can I say? It's absolutely fantastic... with plenty of surprises for those who think they know what to expect! Of course, you can always make use of the custom soundtrack feature and ignore the PGR3 music, but with almost every genre covered (from Alt Rock to J-Pop and everywhere in between) I think you'll have a tough time finding a track which doesn't float your boat.

At the moment I'm finding myself listening to some of the Electronica (although I'm not normally a fan of this type of music), but there's also a great track from one of my favourite bands on there which I can't stop playing! All in all, I think this is the best soundtrack featured in a Project Gotham Racing game so far; Nick and the guys and gals on the audio team have really excelled themselves!

So on the web front; we've started a pretty big competition. Click HERE to have a look if you haven't already. Basically the idea is to complete the sentence "I am the biggest PGR3 fan because..." in 30 words or less. You can win a limited edition Xbox 360 faceplate plus E3-related accessories. You have to be in it to win it! What do points mean? Prizes! Etc. etc.

In other news, we had some fun playing with guns and pieces of paper. It didn't really make much sense at the time, but I suppose that's what it's like in the crazy world of video games! (?!?) If it's any comfort... the piece of paper definitely started it! (For reference: the guy with the gun is Walter, part super-programmer and part crazed psycho. He even has a two foot high model of Patrick Bateman on his desk...!).

Yep, the "gun" was just an air powered pistol thing. It was quite lame to be honest... it needed lots of encouragement to go through the paper, let alone cause any serious damage. Bizarre Creations may have been beaten by a simple document this time, but the war is still very much on. Grrr!

...So, back to PGR3. Earlier in the week I was trying to sort something out on the other side of the office, when I was called over to Chris' desk. He's been taking a closer look at our crowd system, seeing how much he could max out the 360 hardware with spectators. During the test he sorted out a pretty remarkable screenshot for me. How many people in this experiment? Answer: thirty-five thousand.

Remember; the following screenshot is just a test, and not representative of the crowd size which will be present in the final build of PGR3. There won't be 35,000 spectators per corner in the finished game... we want to have other objects in the game as well! This was just a test to show how crazy our crowd rendering system is. You can still expect many thousands (yes, thousands) of spectators per track... but the full game running with 35,000 might be pushing it a bit!

This is just a single corner. It's ridiculous; that's a helluva lot of people! The most remarkable thing to me was that this was all running at the game's normal frame rate. Not a bit of slowdown. It takes a while for our expectations to adjust to the "next generation" of video games, but I suppose things like this are what we will be seeing from now on... (!)

Seeing all of these virtual spectators shuffling around and waving their arms is a memorable sight. In the newer builds of the game some of the crowd have cameras, and if they're a few rows back you can see them holding it above their head before taking the photo. They've even got a flash! Remember all of these guys, gals, and even children are motion captured for extra realism.

What you can't see here are the extra details added around the courses to make things seem more "lifelike". There's ambient traffic, camera crews, racing teams (complete with huge big rigs), massive spectator stands, etc. etc. In fact, if you look carefully, you'll be able to see some Bizarre Creations staff members skulking around in the masses. There are also some Bizarre t-shirts in there too...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well at least you can read it.
So it seems they are finishing up the soundtrack, I guess it's safe to assume they pretty much tweaked the graphics out already.
I haven't heard any issues with the graphics so can we expect 60 fps?
I think and hope so cool.gif

#8 VariableElite

VariableElite

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE(Deftech @ Sep 12 2005, 01:13 PM)

they dont allow img linking  sad.gif

View Post

You know, if you're running a real browser (say, Firefox?), you can right-click on "user-posted image" and hit View Image to see the pic... ph34r.gif

#9 mastersloth

mastersloth

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:24 PM

That alot of people ohmy.gif

#10 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(VariableElite @ Sep 12 2005, 02:33 PM)
You know, if you're running a real browser (say, Firefox?), you can right-click on "user-posted image" and hit View Image to see the pic...  ph34r.gif

View Post

holy shit, never knew that beerchug.gif

lol

thanks for the tip, and Yes im using Firefox.

#11 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:08 PM

user posted image

#12 Infamous_One

Infamous_One

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:13 PM

yeah yeah , but you will never see that amount of spectators in the game , its already laggy with a couple of players , imagine how laggy it would be with 8 racers and 40 spectators.

#13 deftonesmx17

deftonesmx17

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE(Infamous_One @ Sep 12 2005, 03:24 PM)
yeah yeah , but you will never see that amount of spectators in the game , its already laggy with a couple of players , imagine how laggy it would be with 8 racers and 40 spectators.

View Post

And I thought I bitched? blink.gif

#14 miggidy

miggidy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE(Infamous_One @ Sep 12 2005, 09:24 PM)

View Post

It's a racing video game,
who gives a shit about the number of spectators in a game world?

That's like someone whining about the low number of palm trees in the background of a fighting game's Hawaii stage.

And before you say, "But Miggidy, everyone seems so excited about the high number of spectators!". They are not excited about the high number of characters, Bizarre's showcasing the many animations the spectators have in the game.

Edited by miggidy, 12 September 2005 - 08:44 PM.

#15 deftonesmx17

deftonesmx17

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE(miggidy @ Sep 12 2005, 03:52 PM)
It's a racing video game,
who gives a shit about the number of spectators in a game world?

That's like someone whining about the low number of palm trees in the background of a fighting game's Hawaii stage.

Hey, GFX whores like me and Deftech give a shit about the number of spectators. It has been stated before, but we are the type that wreck all the time when we get a new race game because we are busy staring at the scenery. I have drove off so many cliffs in Rallisport 2 on xbox and in WRC 4 on PS2. rotfl.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users