• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Strr8ballin

Strr8ballin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:22 PM

How do I tell if my install was good, and if it works. Do I have to flash the bios before I do anything. I put it all back to gether and turned it on MS dash boots and I can play games, but X3 boot leaves me with a blank screen. Has original stock HD (plan to install new 250GB HD. with avalaunch) Any direction is appreciated.

#2 Chedawan

Chedawan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:29 PM

If it works, you'll be greeted with a blue screen when the chip is on, with Yellow (I think) writing that says Flash Bios 3.x.x Presuming that the chip was new, and unflashed.

#3 Chedawan

Chedawan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:31 PM

If it works, you'll be greeted with a blue screen when the chip is on, with Yellow (I think) writing that says Flash Bios 3.x.x Presuming that the chip was new, and unflashed.

Sorry for double post 'Mysql database error' apparently!

Edited by Chedawan, 13 September 2005 - 05:33 PM.

#4 Strr8ballin

Strr8ballin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:55 PM

So I get a blank screen when it's on, does that mean there is something wrong with the install???

#5 Chedawan

Chedawan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:05 PM

What install method have you used? Soldered? Wire or pinheader? or solderless?

Chances are if you've soldered, if you just double check your soldering it should be fine.

#6 Strr8ballin

Strr8ballin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:10 PM

I used the solder with the V1.6 PCB rebuild. I Dbl checked everything and they okay. Only one thing I can think of is when I pressed the X3 chip into the pin header, one of the pins pushed down cause it was loose. I will try to re solder this pin and try it again. Q tho', do I have to select and bios (bank) on the front panel?

#7 elborak

elborak

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:19 PM

Do you have a 1.6b? If it's 1.6b, you probably need to boot from bank 5.

#8 Strr8ballin

Strr8ballin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:24 PM

I will try to boot from bank 5 before I try to resolder the pic header. Thanks alot guy. I will reply how I make out if I need more help. Much appreciated.

#9 Chedawan

Chedawan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:36 PM

It shouldn't make a huge amount of difference what bank you're booting from. Though I have heard the v1.6b and bank 5 thing before. Do you have the X3 switch or the pro switch?
If it's the normal switch (the flat black one with the dip switches) does it light up blue when the chip is on, and red when it's off. If so try pressing both power and eject, and see if it turns purple which indicates backup bios is booting, if it does, then chances are the chip is working fine.

Just a couple of questions though, are you using the standard scart cable? Is the box fragging? Red and green flashing lights whilst the screen is blank (and does it power off/on three times of its own accord)? Also, just out of interest, did you clean/polish the contacts before you soldered, I know 1.6b boards are occasionally heavily lacquered?

I think that even if you get it working, it's in your best interests to resolder that loose pin.
Also if you do go in the box, make sure that your Dzero wire is fully connected to the chip (it's the grey wire in the red/green/grey wire block).

Good luck pal.

#10 elborak

elborak

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE(Chedawan @ Sep 13 2005, 03:47 PM)
It shouldn't make a huge amount of difference what bank you're booting from.  Though I have heard the v1.6b and bank 5 thing before.

au contraire, it can make a huge difference if you have a 1.6b.

By default, current X3's have Flashbios 3.01 on bank 1 and on the backup, which generally will not work with a 1.6b. If the X3 is recent enough, it should have 3.03 (which will work with 1.6b) on bank 5.

#11 Chedawan

Chedawan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:14 PM

That's a good point. I wasn't thinking of it that way, when I got my X3 it had 3.0.3 on every bank but the backup which was 3.0.1

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Think that everything else I said still stands though.

Edit: Just another quick thought, if you're planning to flash the x3 1mb bios, and you're following the official switch setting diagram, it'll actually be bank 5678 you want in their terminology, as bank 5 on their diagram is only a 256k bank. Worth bearing in mind though is that if you can boot any bank to flashbios 3.0.3 if you change the dips whilst still in flash BIOS, it will actually flash the newly selected bank, not the one you booted with. So if this is the problem, I would strongly suggest booting in 5678, and then changing the dips to bank 1234 (the other 1mb bank). This will protect that 3.0.3 flash bios in case you ever need it to flash with again (seeing as how the backup will be useless to you as is).

For reference, the diagram I keep referring to ishere.

Edited by Chedawan, 13 September 2005 - 08:23 PM.

#12 ScubaAddict

ScubaAddict

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:16 PM

Strr8 - if you still get a blank screen, are you using the oringinal cables to attache to your tv? If you are using the HDTV cables, your screen will be black. Go back to the RCA cables and connections on your TV.

#13 Strr8ballin

Strr8ballin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:42 PM

I thank you all for your responses...I got it to boot from bank 5678 (thanks for that diagram) I will take your advise and go back in (gulp..) to resolder that loose pin. Do I need to be using the latest bios??? Also what the best way to flash a bios.

#14 Chedawan

Chedawan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 04:08 PM

I always use the http network flash, because that's easiest for me, and although my Drive will quite happily run SlaYers from a cdrw, for some reason it won't recognise the same brand with a bios on it.

Flash BIOS official tutorial can be found here, and an unofficial guide here.

I'd read both before you begin, and then pick whichever method you feel most comfortable with, there're always going to be people here who'll help you out.

Two things that are worth bearing in mind;

1) If you do the http network flash there is no need to rename the bios 'bios.bin' it will work under whatever file name.

2) I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH: As you have a v1.6 box you MUST use the v1.6 BIOS! The other one will cause your box to FRAG.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users