71 replies to this topic

#1 Wedding-shirt

Wedding-shirt

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:55 PM

"The Xbox 360 version was also in attendance, and we got to play a few single-player sessions using the wireless gamepad. Perhaps the most impressive thing we can say about the Xbox 360 version is that it looks a lot like the PC version, though the PCs we played on supported higher-res textures and what appeared to be larger color depth. Still, all the levels, all the monsters, and all the weapons were intact in the Xbox 360 version, right down to the scripted events that showed the evil Strogg aliens doing horrible things to our human marine buddies."

http://www.gamespot...._6133490-2.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is getting fucking pathetic. They can't even port Quake 4 perfectly. Why in the fuck would they need to use lower res textures and a lower color depth if the X360 is a BEAST?

A 6800 GT will run Quake 4 better than the X360 with it's "mighty" R500 core. Also the game has jaggies up the ass. What's up with that shit?

But...but..the 10MB eDRAM

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

#2 brooksie48

brooksie48

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:57 PM

*sigh*

#3 thax

thax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:09 PM

Wedding-shirt, what happened to you? You use to be rational and level headed, now you seem bitter, mean and jaded.

#4 Moleman

Moleman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:11 PM

He has eaten Andy's tainted Sony pop.gif .

#5 brooksie48

brooksie48

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(Moleman @ Sep 17 2005, 05:22 PM)
He has eaten Andy's tainted Sony  pop.gif .

View Post

Finnaly a plausable answer!

#6 thax

thax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:30 PM

Well for everyone's benefit I will attempt to dispel some of the misconceptions here.

1. The game is running in 32bit colour on the x360, if you could run a higher colour depth I don't understand why you would want to because the eye can't really perceive the higher depth, in addition most display devices and video cards don't support a higher colour depth. The error was most likely made because of a miscalibrated display device.

2. The higher textures simply may not fit into the 512 MiB of memory available in the console. 512 for a console is an excellent amount of memory. Please keep in mind that the 10 MiB of eDRAM isn't used to store, cache or filter textures. The GPU is responsible for the bilinear filtering of textures and applying them to polygons.

3. The game on the x360 isn't finished yet, but because the hardware is fixed you can be assured the developer is configuring all settings to make optimal use of available resources. For 300 US dollars the x360 is a very impressive system, it may be possible to get a well equipped PC that can outperform the x360, but the cost of the system will be several times higher.

#7 Wedding-shirt

Wedding-shirt

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE(thax @ Sep 17 2005, 05:41 PM)
Well for everyone's benefit I will attempt to dispel some of the misconceptions here.

1. The game is running in 32bit colour on the x360, if you could run a higher colour depth I don't understand why you would want to because the eye can't really perceive the higher depth, in addition most display devices and video cards don't support a higher colour depth. The error was most likely made because of a miscalibrated display device.

2. The higher textures simply may not fit into the 512 MiB of memory available in the console. 512 for a console is an excellent amount of memory. Please keep in mind that the 10 MiB of eDRAM isn't used to store, cache or filter textures.  The GPU is responsible for the bilinear filtering of textures and applying them to polygons.

3. The game on the x360 isn't finished yet, but because the hardware is fixed you can be assured the developer is configuring all settings to make optimal use of available resources. For 300 US dollars the x360 is a very impressive system, it may be possible to get a well equipped PC that can outperform the x360, but the cost of the system will be several times higher.

View Post

There is absolutely no excuse for the X360 not to run that game flawlessly. If a 9800 pro can run Doom 3 pretty good and a 6800 GT can toy with it, there's no reason in the world the X360 should have to tone down the textures and color depth.

And 512 MB of RAM should be more than enough to run the game with the highest res textures available.

I already payed for my X360 and i'm going to enjoy it for what it is. But i'm not fooled anymore. This system doesn't really compete with the PS3.

This is another DreamCast. But that's ok with me as I really enjoyed the DreamCast.

P.S. I bet the PS3 can run Quake 4 perfectly.

#8 Mjkthirdeye

Mjkthirdeye

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE(thax @ Sep 17 2005, 04:41 PM)

2. The higher textures simply may not fit into the 512 MiB of memory available in the console. 512 for a console is an excellent amount of memory. Please keep in mind that the 10 MiB of eDRAM isn't used to store, cache or filter textures.  The GPU is responsible for the bilinear filtering of textures and applying them to polygons.

View Post

beerchug.gif

Exactly hrm how much does a 6800gt cost? About the price of the core package alone.

Also throw in the fact that the game is still in the development phase. Take those two factors and add them up. The sum you get is you are a complete and total Negative asslip. dry.gif

#9 Wedding-shirt

Wedding-shirt

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE(Mjkthirdeye @ Sep 17 2005, 05:50 PM)
beerchug.gif

Exactly hrm how much does a 6800gt cost? About the price of the core package alone.

Also throw in the fact that the game is still in the development phase. Take those two  factors and add them up. The sum you get is you are a complete and total Negative asslip.  dry.gif

View Post

The PS3 will have an RSX which is rumored to be a higher clocked 7800 GTX.

But you're ok with the X360 having a weaker card than a 6800 GT?

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!! rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

#10 Mjkthirdeye

Mjkthirdeye

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(Wedding-shirt @ Sep 17 2005, 05:07 PM)
The PS3 will have an RSX which is rumored to be a higher clocked 7800 GTX.

But you're ok with the X360 having a weaker card than a 6800 GT?

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!! rotfl.gif  rotfl.gif  rotfl.gif

View Post

If all you are going to do is spam the x360 game forums with posts about how you think the x360 is crap and ps3 is the almighty devout console of god, why don't you go to a forum that is set for that and consists of all you other little dumbass fanboys who can't just let it go. Meanwhile I'll be here enjoying the immense eye candy I see over that piece of shit mgs4 trailer that you are so goddamned in love with. No one cares and quite frankly its getting fucking annoying. Now if you want to act like a respectable member, there is nothing wrong with having an opinion but when all you do is flood every goddamn post with the same bullshit you make yourself look like a little bitch ass 7 year old. So I propose grow up and quit being a whiney bitch or leave. Either is fine with me.

#11 aepuppetmaster

aepuppetmaster

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:18 PM

there are a lot of things wrong with yor statment wedding-shirt. First of comparing consoles and computers is like, dare i say comparing apples to oranges. the simple nature of tvs makes them require a lot less to look just as good. think of it the resolution of a standard deffinintion tv is the lowest seeting on your monitor and looks like crap on that, whille it look rediiculously good on a tv. secondly, its not a true cut and dry port, but in some sense it is. it was designed for the pc and then adaptied to the xbox, which while a crap load more powerful in terms of processing power, lacks the same amount of memory that a computer has. and wtf do u mean that it will run beter on the ps3, it wil run the same, there will only be slight diffrences, but not insanly higher textures and the like, just look at curent gen consoles. u could argue that the xbox is more power (it is), but most people don't notice the differnece in none exclusive titles. this is gunna look great no mater how u cut it, and ur arguments are are flawed. i won't notice the small color details, just lik i won't notica game at 61 fps vs one at 60fps. this is how i see the development so far, pc's are like ferraries, and the 360 is like a meclaren. so the meclaren is faster, but the devs are used to driving the ferrari, so when they get the meclaren for the first little bit they just got to get used to it. once they get used to using the power and not the memory we'll be in busness. beerchug.gif

#12 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:21 PM

dont get worked up over him, Mjkthirdeye, thats what he wants. his ignorance is getting old with me too but i find his comments sad more then agrivating. he understands so little that we should all pitty the poor fool.

the doom 3 engine was built with nvidia technology so of course its going to run more easily on nvidia hardware.

also i dont think its that big of a deal about the texture res because there are other games in development that are still not using high res textures but will (PGR3's building textures for example) so just because their not high res now doesnt mean they wont be when it ships.

im sorry but your an idiot if you dont believe the fact that ANY next gen system could probably run the doom 3 engine standing on its head. the engine is what almost 2 years old already and in the world of technology that is old. i would go as far to say that even the U3engine doesnt give us the full picture to how powerful these next gen systems are. when newer engines start to surface the games will continue to get better.

#13 Wedding-shirt

Wedding-shirt

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE(Mjkthirdeye @ Sep 17 2005, 06:22 PM)
If all you are going to do is spam the x360 game forums with posts about how you think the x360 is crap and ps3 is the almighty devout console of god, why don't you go to a forum that is set for that and consists of all you other little dumbass fanboys who can't just let it go.  Meanwhile I'll be here enjoying the immense eye candy I see over that piece of shit mgs4 trailer that you are so goddamned in love with. No one cares and quite frankly its getting fucking annoying. Now if you want to act like a respectable member, there is nothing wrong with having an opinion but when all you do is flood every goddamn post with the same bullshit you make yourself look like a little bitch ass 7 year old. So I propose grow up and quit being a whiney bitch or leave. Either is fine with me.

View Post

Grow up.

#14 Mjkthirdeye

Mjkthirdeye

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Sep 17 2005, 05:32 PM)
im sorry but your an idiot if you dont believe the fact that ANY next gen system could probably run the doom 3 engine standing on its head.  the engine is what almost 2 years old already and in the world of technology that is old.  i would go as far to say that even the U3engine doesnt give us the full picture to how powerful these next gen systems are.  when newer engines start to surface the games will continue to get better.

View Post

Yeah he really is....

Well, with that said I'm going to take Xombe's advice to Deftech and put your ass on ignore. There is no point in me trying to make an idiot of someone who does a pretty good job of it on his own. Finally Wedding, I hope that you stop being such a douche for the better of the community and that you can at some point make decent posts again for your sake because you really show yourself to be a total horse's ass. Thanks to Deftech for the wonderful advice. I advise all to follow suit against feeding his need for attention. eventually no one will see what he says and he can just talk to himself. cool.gif

Sorry that this thread got so off topic.

#15 brooksie48

brooksie48

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 12:27 AM

Wedding-shirt their are plenty of games for xbox 360 that blow quake 4 for pc out of the water. Thats all I'm going to say, think about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users