Photo

Xbox Live Safety Mechanism For Mod Chip?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 CyborgGamer

CyborgGamer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 07:53 AM

Ok, I got Xbox live a few days ago, and I am going to put some switches in today so I can enbale it or disable my mod chip, but I am a bit paranoid that I might logon by accident with my mod chip on. Does anyone have any ideas for safety mechanism? Is it possible to change the text under the xbox logo at boot up to say something like "Please Disable your Mod chip if using xbox Live" instead of Xecuter Lite?

I was also thinking if they was any possible way to change certain things in the bios such as where the evox dash is loaded from automaticly and point it to F or even point it to the CD drive and prompt to insert an evox CD instead of C so MS can detect it. That way when you turn the modchip on it will automaticly boot to evox or look for the evox CD.

Edited by CyborgGamer, 11 April 2003 - 09:02 AM.

#2 MUTHAPHUQA1999

MUTHAPHUQA1999

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 10:07 AM

Flash the chip with the colour BIOS that way if the x turns blue/red etc you will know the chip is on.

#3 i-ball

i-ball

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 10:17 AM

I've considered this have come up with an idea. What I was thinking it hooking up the disable switch to a relay switch powered by the HD power cable. The relay switch/es goes between you NIC port and your router/PC. Configure this so that when your mod is on it cuts the network connection.

Too bad for me, before I managed to implement it my xbox was banned. I will implement it as soon as I get my xbox unbanned.

Now I need to buy another xbox. What mod chip will fit current xboxs?

#4 CyborgGamer

CyborgGamer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 10:17 AM

Yea, that's a good idea to. I thiink I'll do that for now until I can find another solution. Isn't there a program that changes the color in the bios, I for got what is what called, can someone jog my memory? Thx.

#5 MUTHAPHUQA1999

MUTHAPHUQA1999

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 10:50 AM

xbtool

#6 Regionfree

Regionfree

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 01:09 PM

What I have on mine is not a switch but a button. That when pushed in earths the D0. If you don't push the button it boots onboard bios. You can't make mistake cos you have to physically hold the button to enable the chip.

#7 CyborgGamer

CyborgGamer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 03:08 PM

oh well duh, it looks like xbtool lets you change the boot partition!!! Well I'll just make it boot off F drive and stick evox on there. Will MS be able to detect evox on F???

Edited by CyborgGamer, 11 April 2003 - 03:23 PM.

#8 Regionfree

Regionfree

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 03:35 PM

Changing the boot partition is one thing, but Live still picks up the fact that you have modchip enabled. You do need your xboxdash.xbe to be original on dreve c: but still have to boot for Live with original bios.

#9 ravencry

ravencry

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 03:48 PM

u dont need to buy another box to get unbanned

use config magic

#10 CyborgGamer

CyborgGamer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 03:57 PM

I know what you mean Regionfree. The setup I have is all original hardware and software on my xbox, except for a modchip that is in, but is disabled. All I really want to do is to be able to boot of CDR's. So When the mod chip is on it will boot to evox on F and when the mod chip is off, it will boot to XBOX dash on C as normal. I am just wondering if MS will be able to pick up that I have evox on F when the modchip is disabled while playing xbox live.

#11 steveholtam

steveholtam

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 06:19 PM

Just a dummy idea, but pull the CAT-5 cable out when your using non-standard stuff. No cable = no communication with the mother ship.

Steve

#12 NULLify

NULLify

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 09:46 PM

I have patched my BIOS so that the Xbox doesn't boot discs when it is reset or powered up, I also have the evox autoboot game option disabled.

To launch a game I have a menu item on the evox dash called "Launch Disc - do NOT use xbox live" that boots the disc. This "prevents" me launching an XBL game with the mod enabled simply by alerting me.

I also have a switched mod chip, and of course, when using the MS bios the disc boots normally because there is nothing to worry about.

I can still boot discs that I create myself -- if needed for recovery reasons etc..

This is a patch that I implemented myself.

Edited by NULLify, 11 April 2003 - 09:47 PM.

#13 TheGreatTim

TheGreatTim

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Aircraft, Skiing

Posted 11 April 2003 - 09:59 PM

i-ball, that is a stupid idea: to have a relay disable the port when the mod chip is on.
reason: you can't use any, any ftp features unless you go in and physically disable your work on the relays. plus, splitting the power cables is tricky at the easiest.

#14 rallycobra

rallycobra

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 10:05 PM

I did the same thing as Nullify. I have the partition 0 default.xbe changed to evoxdash.xbe. My CDRW boot discs have default and evoxdash.xbe on them, so they can be used on my or regular machines.

I run a matrix in mode 3, and have an item in evox to launch a DVD. I modified a menu program to say push eject now, and insert original game cd. Push eject, xbox reboots with stock bios, and runs the game. 100% safe.

#15 NULLify

NULLify

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 10:36 PM

rallycobra, yep, it works well doesn't it. It would be nice to see this patch implemented as a check box option in xbtool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users