jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:29 PM

Hard to rate the power on these suckers. It definitely isn't the turbo II model, and it is a FAR CRY from the twin-turbo powered beast that the 3rd gen is. The non-turbo is gutless in the low RPM range but becomes very hard to compete with in the high RPM range. RX-7s can be made into amazing performance machines but they will also be the biggest gas guzzlers on the planet. IMHO if the car is dead (no engine) I would go for the 350 V-8 conversion. Rotary engines are such high maintenence (and are even more so once you turbo them) that you would be better off with ditching it. You would get a couple of miles better gas mileage, more HP and still have decent handling. The fuel smell is usually due to failing seals around the fuel line and they are downright dangerous, as it's very easy for the engine to catch fire. RX-7s have VERY HIGH PRESSURE fuel systems. Mine was doing the same thing (bad smell) when I took it in and got it fixed.

Edited by jesterrace777, 20 September 2005 - 11:31 PM.

#17 Psykomantis00

Psykomantis00

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:38 PM

I wouldnt build a rotary, I would do a V8 setup. Ive heard that if you dont run them into the ground, 3 rotor engine's will last a long time with little maintnance, but that might have been just fanboyism bs the the people on the forum were feeding me. I think they are sexy cars. but if I was going to get one and plan on doing a swap anyway why not get a dodge daytona? My step dad had one and it was pretty quick I guess, last time I rode in it before he sold it I was 13 and I didnt really care about cars then. Are they 6 cyl or 8 cyl engines?

#18 Chance_P

Chance_P

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:57 PM

Heres mine...

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Its not the best looking, but keep in mind im a 15 year old kid with no job or license. It runs perfect and has a new transmission.

Heres what happening to it as soon as I start my job next month...

Bucket seats
T-top seals
Front Windsheild
Paint
New plugs/wires/distributor
my X3 slimbox under the dash above passengers legs
10inch lcd in dash
dual 7 inch lcds in headrests
2 10 inch RF subs

It has a 305 in it right now but this winter my dad and I are rebuilding a 350 to put it in once spring gets here.

Edited by Chance_P, 20 September 2005 - 11:59 PM.

#19 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 21 September 2005 - 12:22 AM

Some nice cars here. Im a huge mazda fan so the RX7 is a favorite. And my bud had an 86 white IROC in HS so Im a HUGE fan of 3rd gen camaros for sentimental reasons. Ill post some pics of my cars at some point. Prob not tonight though.

#20 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE(Psykomantis00 @ Sep 21 2005, 12:49 AM)
I wouldnt build a rotary, I would do a V8 setup. Ive heard that if you dont run them into the ground, 3 rotor engine's will last a long time with little maintnance, but that might have been just fanboyism bs the the people on the forum were feeding me. I think they are sexy cars. but if I was going to get one and plan on doing a swap anyway why not get a dodge daytona? My step dad had one and it was pretty quick I guess, last time I rode in it before he sold it I was 13 and I didnt really care about cars then. Are they 6 cyl or 8 cyl engines?

View Post

Daytonas? I think they are actually turbo 4 banger if they are the top of the line models. I could be mistaken though. I seem to recall a 2.5L turbocharged 4-banger. They are pretty quick but IMHO there are better options for the $. The 3 rotor engines are HP beasts but VERY RARE and expensive as hell to convert into a 2nd gen. It would probably run you about $10-$15K and that is if you did all of the work yourself. You can buy a rebuilt 350 for about $1600 and replace the tranny for about $2K or less. Even if you didn't do the work yourself it wouldn't cost you more than $6-$7K. It seems like alot but not bad if you are getting the RX-7 itself for $1K or less.

#21 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:05 AM

Daytonas are also FWD = LAME......

Check

Gary Donovan's site

to see some daytonas....

Edited by Rylinkus, 21 September 2005 - 02:06 AM.

#22 Psykomantis00

Psykomantis00

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 03:05 AM

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Sep 21 2005, 03:16 AM)
Daytonas are also FWD = LAME......
Check

Gary Donovan's site
to see some daytonas....

View Post

wow I honestly thought they were RWD... daytona's suck.

#23 xbox beat box

xbox beat box

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 02:57 PM

Here's my new toy, just one week old now.
user posted image

Had to get a small SUV because of the soon to be giant dog.
user posted image

#24 Hercules Q Einstein

Hercules Q Einstein

Scarface

• PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 04:23 PM

Ill repost pics later, but if you feel like searching i have posted pics of my 3 cars before.

They are:
New BMW 5 series (Main car)
Old Lincoln Continental (Project car)
Early 3000GT

#25 Rustmonkey

Rustmonkey

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 September 2005 - 05:33 AM

Hey common, the daytona used to be the shit... when it was a Daytona Charger... just like a Superbird, only smaller... 440 six pack baby and 200 mph!

#26 Psykomantis00

Psykomantis00

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 05:38 AM

QUOTE(Rustmonkey @ Sep 23 2005, 06:44 AM)
Hey common, the daytona used to be the shit... when it was a Daytona Charger... just like a Superbird, only smaller... 440 six pack baby and 200 mph!

View Post

Was it RWD? I always thought the daytona's were RWD and it never even crossed my mind they were fwd.

#27 ClintiePoo

ClintiePoo

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:13 AM

I don't have a good pic of my car. I drive a '99 Grand Am V6, mystic blue.

Here is an in-race picture of the car the team and I built for the 2005 FSAE Competition. This was my senior project.

user posted image

#28 Psykomantis00

Psykomantis00

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:31 AM

QUOTE(ClintiePoo @ Sep 23 2005, 07:24 AM)
I don't have a good pic of my car.  I drive a '99 Grand Am V6, mystic blue.

Here is an in-race picture of the car the team and I built for the 2005 FSAE Competition.  This was my senior project.

user posted image

View Post

Aww its so cute! Haha. It reminds me of the ariel atom, whats it got powering it? How's it ride that low to the ground?

#29 ClintiePoo

ClintiePoo

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:45 AM

Honda CBR 600 with 20 mm restrictor (rules require this). It rides that low to the ground because we designed it that way. The idea is to get the CG as low as possible. A tilt-test confirmed that the CG with driver was just over 8 inches. It only weighed 438 lbs, down from 483 last year.

#30 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE(Rustmonkey @ Sep 23 2005, 06:44 AM)

View Post

That's a far cry from the common daytona that one would be able to purchase now-a-days.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)