#1 funy

funy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:48 AM

Ive just installed a new wireless router. i had real big problems last night trying to play any game with a friend of mine last night.

I have read about forwarding certain ports through to the xbox, which i can do but i wondered if it were better (and easier) to put it in the dmz (demilitarized zone, ie not firewalled) that would get around any blocking issues.

The strange thing is it connects to live fine, but trying to get a game going, in either halo2 forza or ghost recon2 would say the same thing, game or session no longer available.

Just want to know if there is any security risk if my xbox is open like that on the net.

Any help would be great, thanks.

#2 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,752 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:31 PM

it would be best to just open and forward the 3 ports Live uses (although its not liek anyones gonan try to hack your xbox, lol)

#3 funy

funy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:38 PM

aye i spose i could, my router is supposed to be nat anyway and shouldnt need to have them open.

i'll have a play tonight
thanks.

#4 astrophong

astrophong

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Sep 19 2005, 12:42 PM)
although its not liek anyones gonan try to hack your xbox, lol

View Post

What's his ip? ph34r.gif

When you set the DMZ to your XBox your just telling your router that the requests that it would normally ignore should be sent to the XBox instead. Just make sure you don't give anyone on your xbox your credit card number and you'll be fine.

Just out of curiousity, do you need to place your xbox on the DMZ for it to connect to live?

One of my XBoxes doesn't need to do that, it's direcly connected to the router, the one on the bridge requires port 3074 to be fwd.

Edited by astrophong, 21 September 2005 - 07:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users