• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rob1234

rob1234

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 02:06 AM

This last few days my xbox is freezing within a minute of starting up. It doesn't matter if I'm running a game, just evox dash, XBMC, whatever it will freeze and if I turn it off and on quickly it usually freezes while showing the flubber animation. If I let it sit for a min it will work for a min or so again then freeze. Here's what I've tried:

-unlock/lock harddrive
-reflash modchip
-reformat harddrive (still froze while running evox on cd after doing this)
-took xbox apart and checked connections of modchip
-checked connections for harddrive/dvdrom and everything else inside
-reset time

nothing has worked. Before I reformated when I tried to load the ms dash I would get an error code 5. Also, right before this started happening I deleted everything off the f: drive which I think was just some movie files and the lock.log. I just selected all the files in flashfxp and deleted them. Is there some system file on f: that I might have deleted or would deleting lock.log do anything? I don't think so but it did start happening right after I did this. I have a version 1.0, xecuter 2.1 lite, latest xecuter bios, lastest evox and maxtor 30 gig hd and have been running it with no problems for the last year at least. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks.

#2 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 September 2005 - 02:10 AM

Check your fan... if it's not working, your xbox is overheating and will freeze.

Also, you didn't mess with the heatsinks, did you?

#3 rob1234

rob1234

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 02:46 AM

Well the smaller fan wasn't going until I touched it lightly and it started up. So far it appears to be working. It's running longer than it has been anyway. I wish I had thought of that or posted this before reformatting the harddrive especially since I couldn't ftp the stuff off of it. Thanks so much for the tip. What do you think would cause the fan to stop going?

#4 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:00 AM

Sometimes the heatsink fan just stops working on it's own. You can also double check that it's properly connected to the motherboard.

If you think your fan will die again, then I suggest you replace it.

Here is a very nice replacement fan (with Blue LED's).

user posted image

#5 rob1234

rob1234

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:51 PM

Well I replaced the fan but it would still freeze maybe 30% of the time even with the fan working.

The fan must have been broken for a long time because I never noticed how loud it is. So, I replaced the heatsink with a zalman one and some artic silver 5 on the cpu and gpu (got rid of fan too).

It took a few applications to get it to boot but I finally had it working for about a month or so. Then it slowly started freezing again and finally would freeze everytime so I reapplied the arctic silver one more time and now it's doing the two restarts flashing red/green.

I checked all around for spilt arctic silver and checked the soldering for the modchip and everything is fine. I'm getting really fed up. Is there anything else I should try before I toss it and buy a new one. Would overheating or bad thermal paste application cause the flashing red/green. Also, one out of ten times it will just turn on solid green with no audio/video. Thanks for any final advise.

#6 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:08 PM

Over heating could cause this. Sounds like it got to the MCPX. Can't be sure though.

#7 Dano2k0

Dano2k0

The Cooling King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:55 AM

As above the MCPX chipset could be burned out now, they should have had a heatsink put on them when MS made them but they cheaped out and never added one.

You say the fan on the GPU wasn't running and probably wasn't for a long time, this could have caused damage with overheating on the GPU and eventually made it pretty unstable, just like the PC graphics cards when they overheat and become damaged forever, once this has happened the life time of one is very limited and could fail at any given point.

Sorry can't really add much more here, but it sounds like the board is ready for the bin, the flashing red and green can be a serious number of things, but for it to have been overheating etc sounds to me like its going to be a major failiure of a component(s) on your board.

Good luck with any attempts to sort this out beerchug.gif

#8 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:07 AM

Sounds more like a fried GPU rather than a fried MCPX. Apparently the fan on your heatsink wasn't working properly when you first encountered the problem. In that short amount of time, the GPU could have been damaged. Although you later fixed the overheating issue... the damage had already been done to the GPU.

Yes, improper application of Arctic silver can be just as damaging as overheating.

I think it's safe to say that motherboard is dead.

#9 rob1234

rob1234

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 05:58 AM

Darn that sucks. I think I'll order a new modchip for the new xbox I get to buy and try it in the old one. If it doesn't work still I guess I'll have to get a new one. sad.gif Thanks for the input.

#10 PimpleX

PimpleX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:50 AM

If you measure your volts on LPC pin 1 I'll wager there is some there when there should be almost nothing. I've had a similar problem on a v1.1.

Mine has 1.6V on pin 1 a hot GPU and even with a heatsink on the MCPX and a 92mm fan covering the GPU it will crap out when it feels like it in the menus etc.

Strangely I can play HALO for ages, I can run the intro loop of Burnout 4 for hours, but if I try a race it locks up after a few seconds in the same place as if a certain particle effect crashes it.

It's the MCPX on it's way to the place dead MCPXs go m8 sorry sad.gif

Cheers,

PimpleX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users