#1 Breakthrough

Breakthrough

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 03:52 AM

http://www.journalof.../Vol-1/e1-4.htm
I thought the media was creating something that quite wasn't there...

Would you believe that the real number is < 10% (see Appendix A)? Yes, a US white male (USWM) cigarette smoker has an 8% lifetime chance of dying from lung cancer but the USWM nonsmoker also has a 1% chance of dying from lung cancer (see Appendix A).  In fact, the data used is biased in the way that it was collected and the actual risk for a smoker is probably less.  I personally would not smoke cigarettes and take that risk, nor recommend cigarette smoking to others, but the numbers were less than I had been led to believe.  I only did the data on white males because they account for the largest number of lung cancers in the US, but a similar analysis can be done for other groups using the CDC data.

QUOTE(http://www.journaloftheoretics.com/Editorials/Vol-1/e1-4.htm)
  1.  USWM smokers have a lifetime relative risk of dying from lung cancer of only 8 (not the 20 or more that is based on an annual death rate and therefore virtually useless).
  2. No study has ever shown that casual cigar smoker (<5 cigars/wk, not inhaled) has an increased incidence of lung cancer.
  3. Lung cancer is not in even in the top 5 causes of death, it is only #9.**
  4. All cancers combined account for only 13% of all annual deaths and lung cancer only 2%.**
  5. Occasional cigarette use (<1 pk/wk) has never been shown to be a risk factor in lung cancer.
  6. Certain types of pollution are more dangerous than second hand smoke.3
  7. Second hand smoke has never been shown to be a causative factor in lung cancer.
  8. A WHO study did not show that passive (second hand) smoke statistically increased the risk of getting lung cancer.
  9. No study has shown that second hand smoke exposure during childhood increases their risk of getting lung cancer.
  10. In one study they couldn't even cause lung cancer in mice after exposing them to cigarette smoke for a long time.23
  11. If everyone in the world stopped smoking 50 years ago, the premature death rate would still be well over 80% of what it is today.1 (But I thought that smoking was the major cause of preventable death...hmmm.)

Sources/refrences are all in order at the bottom, looks legit to me.

#2 Capon-E

Capon-E

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Chess, Reading, Telephones, 94 Towncar, Lowriders
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 September 2005 - 04:46 AM

Smoking causes lung cancer. Bottom line, don't believe everthing you read young one

#3 xboxbox451

xboxbox451

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE(Breakthrough @ Sep 24 2005, 12:03 AM)
Sources/refrences are all in order at the bottom, looks legit to me.

View Post

Marlboro Man? Is that you??

*lights... cough - hack - uggg - another... cough - hack - cigarette... ahhheheheh*

#4 No_Name

No_Name

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:37 PM

Lung cancer cases have been on the rise for as long as people have been smoking.

While it is true non-smokers can get lung cancer that does not mean for a second smoking is the only cause.

Its a well knowen fact that more smokers have lung cancer than non-smokers and that says alot on its own.

Edited by No_Name, 24 September 2005 - 12:37 PM.

#5 wadata04

wadata04

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:40 PM

Smoking causes lung cancer

*case closed*

tongue.gif

#6 thewickedjester

thewickedjester

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 September 2005 - 01:00 PM

Even if it doesnt, they arent good. My grandparents smoke, way to much, to the point of where they cant even get through a sentence (quite literally, every few words) they start having the worst caughing fits you can imagine.

On the other hand, it makes for quite the funny incidences. One day my family and a freind of mine was over eating dinner at their house, grandma started having a coughing fit and everyone just ignored it as we were all used to it by that time. But not my freind. He kept looking around trying to see what to do, finnally leaned over to me and asked if I should do anything. I just went "Oh, right" grabbed a napkin and a pen from my pocket (from school) and put both in front of her almost yelling "Grandma, sign the will SIGN THE WILL!!!"

#7 powercntrl

powercntrl

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding/repair, gaming, PhotoShop, Sonic Foundry Acid, iTunes, WinXP, Linux, Car Audio, fishing

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:55 PM

Whooo buddy, don't even get my started on how many Xboxes I've had to clean because of prolonged exposure to tobacco smoke. It's absolute murder on the DVD rom drive, and it gums up the heatsinks and fan(s) something awful too. We're not talking decades of cigarette smoke either, we're talking a few years at most.

There's plenty of reasons to delude yourself into beliving you can't quit smoking - pretending the health risks don't exist, however, is just plain stupid. The best kind of smokers are the ones who don't throw their butts out the window, don't crowd around entrances to smoke, ask permission to smoke when around non-smokers, and know their habit is gonna kill them but consider it an acceptable risk. The trendy little fuckwits who start smoking because they think it's a great social activity, blow smoke in everyone's face at the entrance to a mall and then freak when they notice they're coughing up shit every morning (but can't quit cause they're now addicted) - those are the smokers I'm happy to see drop dead from a smoking related illness.

#8 DjO

DjO

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 24 September 2005 - 07:03 PM

I agree with the electronics.
One of my first roomates smoked and I didn't mind if he smoked but as long as it was in his room with the door closed and after about a year he needed a new tv his computer stopped working and his ps2 kept giving dirty disc errors.

#9 xbox_newbie

xbox_newbie

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 08:29 PM

im not saying that research is wrong but, it makes it sound like no bad can come from smoking. although i know quite a few people who have died from cancer and never smoked a day in there life. Smoking cant be good for you, plain and simple it doesnt matter what it says. and even if thats all completely wrong, i dont think that the media saying wrong facts to get kids to stop smoking is wrong. If it can get our planet to stop smoking death sticks i say lie all you want! tongue.gif

#10 Allen626

Allen626

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 September 2005 - 02:08 AM

It makes you cough and smell all the time :X. I smoke the occasional cigar with my friends. It is a fun social activity, and I only smoke good cigars. I also smoke marijuana from time to time, but I enjoy vaporizing more, and even then I dont like it as much as drinking beer with friends. Only cigarette I have smoked was when I bought rolling papers with Buglar tobacco, and rolled a cig. Have not smoked one since.

#11 thewickedjester

thewickedjester

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 09:52 PM

I'm going to pick up smoking cigars just to blow the smoke in peoples faces tongue.gif

#12 UnLckyN

UnLckyN

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:41 AM

It makes you cough and smell all the time :X. I smoke the occasional cigar with my friends. It is a fun social activity, and I only smoke good cigars. I also smoke marijuana from time to time, but I enjoy vaporizing more, and even then I dont like it as much as drinking beer with friends. Only cigarette I have smoked was when I bought rolling papers with Buglar tobacco, and rolled a cig. Have not smoked one since.

I hate vaping its such a pain in the ass, its way easyier and more enjoyable to just load a bowl.But anyway I used to smoke cigs I would usually have a pack of malboro red 100s a day with the occasional pack of turkish golds for about the last 9 or 10 months but after thinking about how my grandma died from smoking quit.I havent had a cig in about three weeks now.Cold turkey is impossible.

#13 runawaywarthog

runawaywarthog

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Location:ehh this site called xbox-scene... dunno if you know it
  • Interests:eating, sleeping, sitting, breathing, getting a shower, changing my clothes.<br />KISSING THE CAT!!!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:46 AM

Would you believe that the real number is < 10% (see Appendix A)? Yes, a US white male (USWM) cigarette smoker has an 8% lifetime chance of dying from lung cancer but the USWM nonsmoker also has a 1% chance of dying from lung cancer

so lets see.... 8 - 1 is.... 0? last time i checked it was 7... so uhhh... basing that... you would think that maybe, just maybe, smoking gives you a higher risk of lung cancer... but what do i know?

#14 AmatocianMonk

AmatocianMonk

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:07 AM

Smoking Does Not Cause Lung Cancer

What, are u high? like hell it doesnt. you think that filling you lungs with tar, and rat poison isnt going to cause it. YOU ARE RETARDED

#15 UnLckyN

UnLckyN

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:50 AM

Im not arguing that it dosnt give cancer I know cigs are horrible on your health but do they actually put "rat poison" in it? I mean I dont see a real reason to. Sounds like propaganda to me but I dunno.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users