X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:17 AM

Hey guys,

Me and a few guys in my city, are wanting to open a small modding business.

I need to know what is illegal, and what is legal.

For instance, would charging money to softmod/hardmod, and install the UX dash, be illegal?

How about putting UX and apps onto an xbox?
How about putting a larger HD in?

Thanks,
Raiden

#2 chorizo1

chorizo1

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,883 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:28 AM

Go to Main site news page and go a coouple of weeks back, you'll see some clowns modding systems getting jail time and stiff fines. HERE IT IS

Edited by chorizo1, 24 September 2005 - 06:32 AM.

#3 vingasoline

vingasoline

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE(Raiden47 @ Sep 23 2005, 11:28 PM)
Hey guys,

Me and a few guys in my city, are wanting to open a small modding business.

I need to know what is illegal, and what is legal.

For instance, would charging money to softmod/hardmod, and install the UX dash, be illegal?

How about putting UX and apps onto an xbox?
How about putting a larger HD in?

Thanks,
Raiden

View Post

If it allows you to run unsigned code it is illegal.. Basically if it's being modded to run anything but linux it is illegal..

The UX dash is illegal since it is built with MS code, so are most of the apps..

Why would you want to risk being sued to make a few bucks modding.

#4 Raiden47

Raiden47

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:40 AM

sad.gif what about evox? or just putting the saves onto their xbox.. and then tut them on how do it?

And what about people who simply have modchip installing businesses?

#5 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE(vingasoline @ Sep 23 2005, 10:41 PM)
If it allows you to run unsigned code it is illegal..  Basically if it's being modded to run anything but linux it is illegal..

Since when is Linux not unsigned code?

#6 vingasoline

vingasoline

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:53 AM

QUOTE(StrictPuppet @ Sep 23 2005, 11:53 PM)
Since when is Linux not unsigned code?

View Post

I read somewhere that linux was legal to use on the xbox as long as it doesn't contain ms code.. Maybe I missed something.

Raiden47: evox, and the gamesaves are built with ms code. Still illegal. Nobody will give a shit if you use it yourself, but once you start making money off it, somebody is going to put an end to it.

You should search the forums, because this has been discussed many times before.

#7 spgurley

spgurley

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:56 AM

Fuck rules, I've done tons of peoples' Xboxs and loaded them up with everything, never once got in any trouble. Just make sure you know who they are and aren't just openly advertising to everyone. The people I've done also go around advertising me all over, but I've still never gotten in trouble.

#8 xman954

xman954

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 07:04 AM

i think the best you could hope for is:
to provide a service to softmod to the MSdash (labor only)
to play a "shareware linux based game" on a disk
that you are allowed to sell to for .50 to $1.00 plus the cost of the disk

then what they do with it a after that, who knows

even then you may be at risk sad.gif

Edited by xman954, 24 September 2005 - 07:06 AM.

#9 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 24 September 2005 - 09:47 AM

Fuck rules, I've done tons of peoples' Xboxs and loaded them up with everything, never once got in any trouble.

Yes and you will be the first to bleat and cry "Unfair" when you get caught.
Its an extreme mistake to think you are invincible when it comes to breaking the law as many people even on here can testify.
To the poster if you really want to stay the right side of the Law then take legal advice from someone who knows, and that is not me or any other armchair experts. Seek advice from a pro (solicitor, Lawyer, even the government body that deals with this)

#10 Raiden47

Raiden47

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 06:51 AM

Wut about all these modding shops, that are advertised on here?

#11 jameswalter

jameswalter

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 29 September 2005 - 06:58 AM

They install chips....thats not illegal...cause it doesn't contain any illegally gotten code. A bios or dashboard do contain MS code....so you can't legally do that.

#12 Fade Iczer GEast

Fade Iczer GEast

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE(spgurley @ Sep 24 2005, 03:07 AM)
Fuck rules, I've done tons of peoples' Xboxs and loaded them up with everything, never once got in any trouble.  Just make sure you know who they are and aren't just openly advertising to everyone.  The people I've done also go around advertising me all over, but I've still never gotten in trouble.

View Post

You also (I hope) dont have an actual "store" were you do this either. However, if you were to write a disclaimer stating that the xbox was sold "As is" and contains "no illegal software" you should be ok. Also be sure to state that if any illegal software was found on the modified xbox that it should be "promptly deleted" by the current user and that you are, as the modifying party, free from any responsibility regarding such illicit software and/or any software contained on the hard drive(peripheral devices, etc). Remember, Accidents happen (god forbid they found *gasp* Apps, Emus, Games, Goodies on their new console) and you can't be held liable in the US court if the client to which this would apply signed such document and you had it notorized through your local Notary Public. (Notorization costs $5.00 a document I believe, and you can also have your clientele pay for this service as a surcharge). I hope this helps everyone out there.

Edited by Fade Iczer GEast, 29 September 2005 - 07:18 AM.

#13 vingasoline

vingasoline

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:27 AM

Fade Iczer GEast: You can't just put illegal software on the xbox, and tell the customer in writing that if it has illegal software they must remove it.. A softmod is built with ms code, thus making it illegal.. I saw that kind of bullshit on a website that provides backups. Something like "by purchasing these games, you are stating that you own the original and have a copy of the sales receipt, and that you shall not posess any game in which you don't own the original, and we will not be held liable, etc.. blah blah.."

I reported it to MS's piracy department. Maybe the backup site can shove a disclaimer up MS's ass.

#14 .:Dino:.

.:Dino:.

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:46 AM

basically if you wanna stay legal, you can install a chip and linux, but not a hacked bios, so no dashboards. I think case mods would be more suitable, perfectly legal there.

#15 Fade Iczer GEast

Fade Iczer GEast

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 September 2005 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE(vingasoline @ Sep 29 2005, 03:38 AM)
Fade Iczer GEast: You can't just put illegal software on the xbox, and tell the customer in writing that if it has illegal software they must remove it..  A softmod is built with ms code, thus making it illegal..  I saw that kind of bullshit on a website that provides backups.  Something like "by purchasing these games, you are stating that you own the original and have a copy of the sales receipt, and that you shall not posess any game in which you don't own the original, and we will not be held liable, etc.. blah blah.." 

I reported it to MS's piracy department.  Maybe the backup site can shove a disclaimer up MS's ass.

View Post

You misunderstand, I'm not saying that you should sell it with games, I do not support piracy in any way. However, if your client signs a document claiming all responsibility for any software that may or may not be contained on the xbox, then you can not legally be held liable for the contents. Telling the client in writing that any illegal software should be deleted immediately from the HDD should be solely for his/her benefit. Basicly, by signing the client says that they put all of the contents on all on the xbox of their own free will.

Edited by Fade Iczer GEast, 29 September 2005 - 08:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users