boxrocker

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 September 2005 - 04:43 PM

I'm a big xbox fanboy. I've never owned a PoS...

But i was watching cinematech on G4 and they were playing a trailer for MGS4 of the PS3 and wow, it looked almost real. Now I'm sure that's all pre rendered stuff, but it if looks like that I might considering picking up a PS3... several years after my 360 of course. wink.gif

#2 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 September 2005 - 05:10 PM

its not pre-rendered its just a real-time scripted cut scene. the movie you saw uses the game engine but there are less factors (AI, physics, etc.) to draw from the system's resources and gives the developer the ability to make the graphics look better. its been done for years and will always happen to expand the cinematic experience. just look at how much better the movies in halo 2 look compared to the game, any of the previous MGS, shenmue, RE: Code Veronica, and many other games. that is because like a film director aiming for the best shot, in a scripted cut-scene a developer has the chance to use the best lighting, textures, angles, redirect more polys where needed, and control every aspect of what you are seeing.

its safe to say the actual game wont look that astounding, though it will still look great. on the 360 we havent actually scene many cut-scenes and most of the vids are just gameplay where physics, AI, and other factors draw from the graphics.

i think it looks great but nothing that the 360 can do as well. it is unfair to compare this to any other game on any other system as its been built on the ps3 from the ground up on dev kits that are 80% of the systems total power, where on the 360 all the games you have seen so far have been developed on altered G5 Macs that would consist of around 25% of the 360's power. even now most of the vids you see until X05 are still only on the beta kits (60% power) and things will all be clear on how powerful the 360 is when games are being developed from the ground up on its actual hardware. most of the impressive points of the vid is the 60fps frame rate and the texture work. in this gen it will matter more on texture work and effect to show the developers art style and provide an impressive scene on the TV. polys arent as important as in previous generations.

#3 CattyKid

CattyKid

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:Everything
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 September 2005 - 06:20 PM

Yeah, I remeber those Halo2 screenshots, where the guy with the flag is jumping over his opponents. Always wondered why they looked so good, but I guess now I know why.
Have we ever seen any of this stuff on 360? I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

#4 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 26 September 2005 - 02:48 AM

Moving to a NON-Xbox360 related forum...

Read the pinned topic next time.

#5 miggidy

miggidy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:37 AM

I wouldn't worry about the X360.
RE5 is coming out for both the PS3 and Xbox 360 and the graphics look better than MGS4....

#6 boxrocker

boxrocker

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:37 PM

Yeah I figured it was pre-rendered but it sure looks damn good.

#7 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:24 AM

So does finding nemo.

#8 KAGE360

KAGE360

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 September 2005 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(boxrocker @ Sep 26 2005, 07:48 AM)
Yeah I figured it was pre-rendered but it sure looks damn good.

View Post

yeah read a few posts up and you will see ITS NOT pre-rendered but rendered in REAL-TIME using the game engine

#9 whiteblur67

whiteblur67

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:none

Posted 28 September 2005 - 02:09 AM

you guy got to start beleving that these graphics are real
4 years is a long time in technology
this stuff is possible

#10 DragoNs

DragoNs

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 28 September 2005 - 01:40 PM

Look in the news archive, this is REAL-TIME

"Kojima interacts with MGS4 to prove video is real-time"

#11 yaz-o

yaz-o

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 03:32 PM

given that the ps3 has ALOT of processing power...

the graphics wouldn't be that heavily affected by AI, physics, etc? makes sense to me.

flame on.

#12 Ballz2TheWallz

Ballz2TheWallz

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE(yaz-o @ Oct 11 2005, 04:43 PM)
given that the ps3 has ALOT of processing power...

the graphics wouldn't be that heavily affected by AI, physics, etc? makes sense to me.
flame on.

View Post

ugh
Well, it's true that Cell can perform more floating point ops, but it's not likely to be heavily utilized when you realize that it's only the SPE's in Cell that are good at FP. The main core is just a PowerPC core, the same as the Xbox 360's 3 cores. For ease of coding, the award goes to 360, though, because while all 3 of 360's cores speak the same language, Cell's main core and SPE's use very different instruction sets. Neither CPU is capable of dynamically assigning tasks to free threads, however, so the extent to which Cell's SPE's in particular get used will depend entirely on the programmer assigning tasks manually to each SPE. Even at that, those tasks are very limited because the SPE's don't have the full range of instructions that the main core does. Until the middleware becomes thoroughly developed, don't expect many games to make use of the SPE's at all. When both systems are fully leveraged PS3 will spank 360 in floating point, but 360 will spank PS3 in integer, which means that you can pretty much *always* expect superior AI on 360 games and probably better physics on PS3. Depending on the skill of coders, these differences will probably end up being minimal at best, and undiscernable to the common user.

I do have to agree that in the end, the two systems won't look much different. The graphical capabilities are pretty much identical, though the 360 will be easier on programmers thanks to DirectX and XNA, neither of which will be available on PS3, forcing programmers to learn not just one, not two, but *three* new ways of coding for PS3 (Cell main core, Cell SPE, RSX GPU, all three of which support different instruction sets).

All in all, both Cell and Xenon are disappointments, reverting to the in-order execution methods of a decade ago, losing capabilities like branch prediction, etc. Both systems would have been far better off with an Intel or AMD based multicore CPU.

#13 Charbless

Charbless

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 16 October 2005 - 05:32 PM

I just watched the RE5 PS3 trailer and im not impressed the graphics dont look that good on the movie clip almost the same as the gc re4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users