Photo

Which Solderless Chip To Just Fix Boxes?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Xavierking

Xavierking

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:16 PM

hi... i have been reading all over for the past few nights... and... i was wondering.. which solderless chip should i buy? i looked at both the xenium sp ice... and the x2.6 solderless.. but... both seem pricey for what i want to use em for... fixing broken xboxes... so... uhhhmm... they both seemed good.. just out of my price range... ya know... i also considdered the BST forum... but.... my parents arent happy about that kinda thing.. so... uhhmmm... thx...

#2 C o s m o

C o s m o

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:The Shocker, mudbutt, luge lessons, buggery.
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:21 PM

If you want to go solderless, expect 2 things: Expense and headaches.
You need to learn to solder. It is quite easy after about 2 hours of practice with a junk motherboard or PCB or something. Then you can move on to using less expensive but reliable chips like the DuoX2.
Besides, if you want to fix xboxes and do it right, solder skills are a must-have.

#3 jameswalter

jameswalter

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:22 PM

Most "broken" boxes can't be fixed with a solderless chip. A 29 wire mod is required if the TSOP is screwed and needs reflashed. If its just a softmod gone wrong then that can usually be fixed without a chip. It really depends on how "broken" the box is.

#4 Xavierking

Xavierking

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:31 PM

well.. ya know... they arent too broke... lol... they are like... dying hdd... or.. error 16...

oh.. and.. yeah... i have been practicing soldering... still need a bit more practice...

Edited by Xavierking, 27 September 2005 - 10:32 PM.

#5 box_69

box_69

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Interests:xbox and my truck
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:36 PM

where could i find a 29 wire mod chip

#6 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:41 PM

I've been using a spiderchip to fix xboxes. They suck ass, but as a temporary solution for fixing boards, they work just fine.

I wrap the controller around my neck, hold the chip in place on the motherboard with my left hand, and use my right hand to navigate through menus, lock/unlock drives, format, etc....

I've also used X2.6 chips with solderless Xenium adapter.

#7 ModdingManiac

ModdingManiac

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE(Xavierking @ Sep 27 2005, 11:27 PM)
hi... i have been reading all over for the past few nights... and... i was wondering.. which solderless chip should i buy? i looked at both the xenium sp ice... and the x2.6 solderless.. but... both seem pricey for what i want to use em for... fixing broken xboxes... so... uhhhmm... they both seemed good.. just out of my price range... ya know... i also considdered the BST forum... but.... my parents arent happy about that kinda thing.. so... uhhmmm... thx...

View Post

Yeah I've been using the Spider chip also, its crap but I can easily use it to install hard drives or fix dash files on xboxes that don't have modchips and won't be chipped just fixed

#8 Xavierking

Xavierking

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 01:08 AM

i have 3 1.0's... will the junk work well? i have read about holes being filled... and.. i dunno.... the spider chip looks like crap.... and.. also sounds like crap.... is it really that bad? lol... and... will the pins go in the holes well? lol

#9 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 01:40 AM

Is it really that bad? . . . Yep.

1.0 boards have solder filled LPC so you don't have to worry about the pogo pins going into the LPC holes. They can rest on top of the solder filled holes.

The problem I've had with the spider chips are as follows:

Flimsy (and easily breakable) D0 Wire (actually all wires)
USB Programmer sux (stick to CD-RW for BIOS Flashing)
when I line up the pins w/the LPC, I can't screw the chip down
when I screw down the chip, I can't align the pins properly
On rare occasions, I manage to get chip aligned & screwed down, but pogo pins don't make contact w/LPC unless I hold it down using "popsicle stick" method.

Because of all the reasons above... I align the chip, then temporarily hold it down onto the motherboard with my left hand while navigating through the menus and doing all the necessary stuff with my right hand. If I'm lucky, I can get my wife to hold it for down for me so I can take care of everything else (locking/unlocking, formatting, installing dash files, etc....).

#10 Xavierking

Xavierking

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 02:31 AM

maybe i should just pay the extra $13 for a xenium sp ice? those seem to be of good quality or.. maybe an x2.6 solderless... cause... if im gonna buy a chip... shouldnt i buy something that.... works and works well? and i dont have to have people hold it down.. or use popsicle sticks.. or something... lol.... wouldnt the extra $13 or so be worth it?

#11 CattyKid

CattyKid

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,617 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Posted 28 September 2005 - 02:44 AM

If you are looking for solderless and as cheap as possible, I'll have to recommend the X-BIT. It got a bad name because there was a bad batch made with the D0 pogopin off, so that's wy you always hear about problems. Most of the bad ones are gone now, though. It's got a USB programmer, a 2mb bios bank, external switch w/stealth mode.
Solderless stays in place pretty well, and costs about $39 now (mine was $60, got it a few weeks after release, I think cause it used to be the best).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users