3 replies to this topic

#1 xyz101

xyz101

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:28 PM

Hi,

My Xbox is a good ol' Thompson that I bought at launch and it has been stable but I' m getting nervous about getting DRE in certain games like GTA so I decided it' s time to replace the drive, and back up all my games on my Xbox before getting X360. I have two questions:

- Can you give a rough estimate of how much it' d cost and should I, either send my Xbox or just order the material and do it myself?

- If I copy my Xbox games on my HD, can I then play system link with my X360 if I have another copy of say Halo 2?

Edit: I need a chip and a Samsung Drive.

Edited by xyz101, 28 September 2005 - 08:40 PM.

#2 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:43 PM

So is the DVD drive still working pretty good overall? I'd recommend getting a big fat hard drive and a mod chip and just keep the DVD drive. Then the only work your DVD drive would have to do is ripping games to the hard drive. I've still got two Thomsons from v1 and v1.1 XBoxes and both still work fine because most of the work is done by my hard drive. You can get 250 GB HDDs for around $100. People usually charge way too much for new XBox DVD drives so you will likely spend close to that much or more for a new DVD drive. A mod chip will run you $30-60 depending on what chip you go for.

As for system link games... not sure anyone can answer that question with any certainty in regards to the the 360. Games copied to the HDD work fine in system link mode XBox to XBox. 360, who knows?

#3 xyz101

xyz101

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:54 PM

Well, the Thompson makes it impossible to view DVD' s for me but it runs games fine except for errors when booting and with certain titles that are just unplayable even if brand new! I guess if it doesn' t read them afterwards when you install the HDD then there' s no need to replace it, but does that mean that once I have modded my Xbox all DRE should be gone and I could view DVD' s normally? What would you recommend for a good basic chip that lets you use XBL as well?

#4 Rubix42

Rubix42

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 28 September 2005 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE(Thraxen @ Sep 28 2005, 04:54 PM)
You can get 250 GB HDDs for around $100. 

View Post

Where can I pick up a 250GB HDD for $100? I normally see them for much more than that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users