#1 Azin

Azin

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 02 October 2005 - 04:42 AM

has any one hurd of this new unit called GPX2???
http://www.gpx2.com

what you all think? pop.gif

it runs off tux so will that mean XBMC for it maybe???

Edited by Azin, 02 October 2005 - 04:46 AM.

#2 atomiX

atomiX

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts
  • Interests:Doesn't matter...
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 October 2005 - 04:01 PM

I haven't looked into it much but I've heard of it. It's the sequel to the GP32. IIRC, these consoles run purely on homebrew software. The GPX2 looks nice and if there's enough community support for it, I might get one eventually.

#3 pug_ster

pug_ster

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:35 PM

It looks like it is going to cost about $180 plus shipping. Heck I might want to get it instead of the psp. It is probably worth the price just to get it to play divx movies, pictures, and mp3's alone. I am sure that it wouldn't be long until someone develops emulators for snes, gba, and other games.

#4 XBL_SUCKS

XBL_SUCKS

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:16 PM

I am not getting one till the price drops, it's the same price as the PSP and the PSP is way better from what I have read. Lik-Sang has one for $179.99 plus taxes and there shipping. I am going to have to try one sometime, at the rate of handheld's now I am sure Apple will get into this and do a hybred ipod dry.gif I mean they keep going out with ones now there's a video version.

#5 Ed_209

Ed_209

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:39 AM

Just thought i'd copy the info about it here:

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

" Product Features

Dual CPU Cores: ARM920T Host Processor - ARM940T Video Coprocessor

64MB - RAM

64MB - NAND Flash Memory

SD Card Compatible for Storage

USB 2.0 High Speed Connection

Linux Operating System for Open Source Development

3.5' TFT LCD Screen @ 320*240 (QVGA)

TV-Out for TV Connection (640x480 amplified from 320x240)

MPEG, MPEG4, DivX 3.11,4x,5x, XVID, WMV,MP3,OGG,WMA,JPG, BMP, PCX, GIF Playback

Supports e-book, games, electronic dictionary

Free Emulators for SNES, NES, GB, GBC and GBA, Sega Mega Drive, Master System, Spectrum, C64, Atari, PC Engine, MAME, MSX, Neo Geo Pocket, Game Gear and more

Continuous Playback (8 Hours Video) (14 Hours Audio)

1 Year Manufacturer Warranty "

The price of the system is a bit high, but the system specs are higher than the psp in some ways. It has 64 mb ram (as much as xbox!), and the psp has 32 mb. That alone will make the system much more emulator friendly.... and there is no doubt that the homebrew scene is going to be huge on this, even the first gp32 had tons of support for it. The only thing that I am not too wild about is the d-pad/control stick looking thing. Not sure if that's supposed to be analog or what... The device seems to be extremely user friendly though with support for affordable sd cards, usb port, supports a lot of popular file extensions, heck...even has a tv out! That means you can put an xvid movie on there, and hook it up to a larger screen!

#6 muredrum

muredrum

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:07 AM

Seems like it got delayed.

Pre-Order, ships when stock arrives (Q1.2006)

This Sucks grr.gif

#7 Cbass182

Cbass182

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:57 AM

hehehe...got mine already from gp32z.com and loving it...has a few bugs though, so wait until january when they have their "official release" of the system and all bugs are worked out.

#8 Chron Johnson

Chron Johnson

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:05 AM

Nastimus primal. How are those emulators for it? What's the MAME like? I'm mesmerized by this strange little gizmo. Wasn't aware they hadn't officially shipped yet...must not have read the small print at the lik sang

#9 KiemRaekerm

KiemRaekerm

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:12 AM

I read about this thing a couple months back. It seems like a much better choice than the PSP, at least for me. The only thing about the PSP that interested me was portable videos, music and stuff. Not too into the games. As far as I know, the PSP can't run emulators too. Seems to me that the GPX2 is a good investment.

#10 CattyKid

CattyKid

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Interests:Everything
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE(KiemRaekerm @ Dec 9 2005, 01:19 AM) View Post

I read about this thing a couple months back. It seems like a much better choice than the PSP, at least for me. The only thing about the PSP that interested me was portable videos, music and stuff. Not too into the games. As far as I know, the PSP can't run emulators too. Seems to me that the GPX2 is a good investment.

Oh, the PSP can run emulators. Quite a few, from what I've heard, under certain firmware.

#11 Chron Johnson

Chron Johnson

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 12:52 AM

Yeah the PSP rocks emulation...GPX2 makes some pretty hefty claims about its number of included emulators though. PSP has Tony Hawk, too, which is a big plus. But storage kills me on both. Can the PSP take a large flash card? And can't they make a portable hard drive for it that holds more than 4 gb and costs less than hundreds of dollars?

#12 mattthemodder

mattthemodder

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Modding consoles

Posted 10 December 2005 - 05:20 PM

The PSP does not rock emulation. Memory Sticks aren't cheap, and bypassing firmware is a pain the ass

The GPx2 is designed for people to make emulators on, theres already a huge following from its predecssor

#13 Chron Johnson

Chron Johnson

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:38 PM

The PSP's screen doesn't flicker. If memory sticks aren't cheap then how does this reflect positively on the GPX2. If modifying your game device is too much of a pain in the ass then why not pick the path of least resistance...instead of modifying an XBox you could go pick up an old Dreamcast.

#14 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie & Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:50 AM

Ok ha i dont know where to start here.. First off I am on the preorder list at lik-sang.. I was supposed to get a first edition but the y puss'd out on sellign the first edition. they claim that the FE (First edition) has alot of problems and bla bla bla.. really it seems to be a problem more with the firmware which is updatable.. so I dont see the big deal.

I check the news on the system every day. So far there is quake 1& 2, duke nume, sms, nes, snes, Python games, a new mame emu, wolfenstien, almost full speed sgen, (came out a day or 2 ago) , some psx games running at 50+ frames a sec with frameskip 2... this thig kicks the psp in the face.

Infact if you ask me the psp is garbage. Homebrew sucks, the system is weak, if you dont like sports games, there is a totall of les that 5 good games for you on it. Umds are horrible, the wide screen is great, but it sucks for emus, it runs them in strange res's...

What it comes down to is what you want in a system. If you want something main stream with big commercial game dev's then get a ds. It takes a massive shit on the psp. But if you want homebrew and constant updates, and a scene that never sleeps then the gp is for you.

Oh and I forgot. Neo geo cd... No sound currently but you can play Metal slug and choose your own mp3 for back ground music.. I think it is mega jammin.

Also I would liek to add that sd cards are a perfect media for the system. They are common, widely available and come in all differnt speeds, which to me is cool for pulling those few extra frames a second playing IQ and Kagero:Deception 2 in my hand.

As stated I have still not recieved mine yet but I am awating it's arrival and with so much content already I will post up some vid's and scrn shorts to take a gander at. Than you can all decide for your selves.

#edit# My spelling is horrible Sorry guys, maybe one day I will find a spell check plugin for opera /#Edit#/

Edited by EverestX, 11 December 2005 - 04:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users