• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 davedee

davedee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:58 AM

I've decided that when I get my 360, I'll be modding my original Xbox for XBMC (or maybe before then, if I'm sure it's possible without being banned on Live). I've been reading around quite a bit in preparation and just have a few questions and would be grateful if somebody would answer them. Thanks smile.gif.

I have K:5838 and D:5960. I also have an original copy of Splinter Cell and a Max Drive, which I have used to enable my PAL Xbox for HiDef output (along with a save exploit). Reading around here a bit I came across a few methods for soft-modding, then read at the end of the thread that they were all old hat (UDE, sound and font exploits) and had been replaced by UXE, which it appears, will work on my K&D versions.

Before I go on and give UXE a go, I just wanted to know if that really is the latest and best method, or has that now been superceded by an improved soft-mod?

I assume by carrying out a soft-mod I'll be able to install and use XBMC, is that correct?

Will HiDef output still be available to me? (I guess that's more of a XBMC question than a soft-mod question).

I believe I could actually carry this Mod out now and still use Xbox Live, true?

Are there any extra advantages to hard-modding compared to soft-modding?

Once my Live account has been transferred to my 360, I should be able to replace the HDD as there will be no risk of a ban on Live.

Phew! Thanks for reading smile.gif.

#2 misterhoangdai

misterhoangdai

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:41 AM

all of what you said is correct. the only advantages i can think of that a hardmod has over a softmod is that it's a bit easier to upgrade the HDD and you can recover from most disasters through FTP. as long as you have your eeprom with a softmod though, you'll be able to recover from just about any mistake. smile.gif

#3 davedee

davedee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for the response. That'll do me. So tempted to do it now smile.gif.

#4 spongy

spongy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:10 PM

Since you want to use xbox live. Instead of UXE, You should use NDure with duel retail boot, It allows you to boot to MS dash. Check out Krayzies NDure installer. It sounds like you did your homework, keep this up and you should have no problems.

P.S. don't forget to backup EEPROM.bin and transfer it to your pc.

#5 davedee

davedee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:48 PM

Thanks, spongy....time to go on another hunt!

wink.gif.

#6 davedee

davedee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 12:09 PM

Blimey, that was easy! Took me a while to find the files I needed, but once I did, the installation was no effort at all.

Just need to find out how to install XBMC.

Thanks for all your pointers so far.

#7 davedee

davedee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 01:07 PM

Well, that's XBMC loaded now too smile.gif. Superb quality using HDTV Divx movies on my Plasma.

I then tried a Live game. If I started the MS Dashboard from Evo X, then the game locked up as I tried to enter Live (music looping). If I just booted the box with the disc in, I was able to log in fine.

Hope I haven't incurred a ban sad.gif! What do you reckon?

#8 krayzie

krayzie

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(davedee @ Oct 5 2005, 02:18 PM)
Well, that's XBMC loaded now too smile.gif. Superb quality using HDTV Divx movies on my Plasma.

I then tried a Live game. If I started the MS Dashboard from Evo X, then the game locked up as I tried to enter Live (music looping). If I just booted the box with the disc in, I was able to log in fine.

Hope I haven't incurred a ban  sad.gif! What do you reckon?

View Post

if you try to connect to live with the exploit active your connection will be blocked. this is to prevent you from being banned. with coldboots the exploit is not active so you can connect fine. another option to go live is using the dual retail function. there is info in the readme.

#9 davedee

davedee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:50 PM

Thanks krayzie...all sorted. And whilst you're there thanks for writing all the stuff, it's superb smile.gif.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users