• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Clyde18

Clyde18

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:11 PM

I'm not talking about connecting another HDD outside the body of the Xbox. It's too complicated for me... tongue.gif

What I'm talking about External USB2.0 HDD that are most commonly used for PCs as extra storage. Okay, now you might be telling me it's impossible cos even if I change the Xbox controller port to USB it still won't work.

Therefore what's I'm asking is, there's a device out there to convert the USB2.0 to an ethernet connector. What' I'm talking about is the D-Link DNS-120 Network Storage Adaptor. Here's a short description of its function: "...connects USB drives to the network, and provides authorized users access to their files. You can connect up to two standalone USB hard drives or flash drives and instantly have access to all stored files..."

More info can be found at http://www.dlink.com.../?sec=0&pid=352 and http://www.costcentr.../DNS120/E41684/

I'm wondering... with this, is it possible to enable XBMC to connect to my external HDD through the ethernet (RJ45) port? Without the the use of any PC at all? Maybe modify the SMB part of the XboxMediaCenter.xml in XBMC?

I need experts to tell me if this is possible before I proceed to buy that Network Adaptor.

Thanks a bunch guys!

#2 godslust

godslust

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:17 PM

i too have been thinking about somthing similar, as I can't be arsed to turn on my pc all the time to listen to music or watch a film from my PC.

From looking at the Install GUide for the DNS-120 I think that it would work via SMB as once it is set up, you access it using an IP address as you would to access stuff on your PC.

I donot think it will work for playing games, but I cannot see a reason why it will not work for Images, Video & Music.

Worth a try I think!

#3 653dan

653dan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:37 PM

After taking a look at the install guides and the links provided, i'd have to to say i dont think this would work without another PC on the network turned on running an SMB server (smb for windows, windows file sharing & samba for linux). The newtork storage thing only provides FTP access.

#4 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,743 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:48 PM

i replied in your other thread, in the future please do not cross-psot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users