X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:02 PM

http://www.xboxyde.c...ws_2107_en.html

Movie might be the one weve seen, but some parts look different.

#2 chilin_dude

chilin_dude

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(Deftech @ Oct 7 2005, 06:13 PM)
http://www.xboxyde.c...ws_2107_en.html

Movie might be the one weve seen, but some parts look different.

View Post

Already posted in http://forums.xbox-s...c=447509&st=150

#3 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:21 PM

sorry, hard to keep track of what vids i have and dont have, and the same ones were floating around.

gets even harder when threads get huge like that, thats why I thought it was a bad idea for all x05 to go in a single thread, people would have missed out on a lot. I missed quite a bit of pd zero, not knowing which vids were which sad.gif

#4 corkinator

corkinator

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:37 PM

Those new pics are funny. It's as if the people at Rare hadn't played a game in the last 5 years and think the water and smoke effects actually look amazing. Then you have bump mapping for the sake of it, with strange textures in strange places giving a real inconsistent look. Not to mention the low poly, low texture enemy models.

Not to mention they were heard to say 2x AA is not free, so they are using a motion blur technique instead. Well, if they can't get AA on average graphics like this, then either they are in trouble or the 360 is in general.

I've never been so let down by game coverage.

#5 Shinamano

Shinamano

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:41 PM

Kind of out of the blue...but I wish joanna had green eyes...

#6 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, body building, video games

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:44 PM

Not looking too bad.

Atleast the recticle is in the middle of the screen, and it's 90 deg FOV (damn halo 2 dry.gif).

#7 rasmithuk

rasmithuk

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE(corkinator @ Oct 7 2005, 09:48 PM)
Not to mention they were heard to say 2x AA is not free, so they are using a motion blur technique instead. Well, if they can't get AA on average graphics like this, then either they are in trouble or the 360 is in general.

View Post

Er, right. The graphics have very little effect on the systems ability to do AA. All you do to create AA is render to a higher resolution and then use a convoltion matrix to combine the groups of pixels into single pixels by combining colors according to weightings. So for 2xAA you need twice the horizontal and vertical resolution of the image in the frame buffer before the final filtering pass.
It takes as much processing power to AA a frame buffer filled with solid black as it does to do one with complex geometry as by this point there isn't any (unless you're using some adaptive system that might use the geometry for hinting purposes, but the 360's 'AA for free' system probably can't use hinting).

At the moment we don't know what build was being used, or how it looks in real life (most video codecs tend to make problems look much worse as they aren't designed to encode them) so you might want to wait until you've seen it running live.

#8 crobar

crobar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE(corkinator @ Oct 7 2005, 09:48 PM)
Those new pics are funny. It's as if the people at Rare hadn't played a game in the last 5 years and think the water and smoke effects actually look amazing. Then you have bump mapping for the sake of it, with strange textures in strange places giving a real inconsistent look. Not to mention the low poly, low texture enemy models.

View Post

if its fun i dont give a fuck...seriously some of you are waaaay to into graphics. its a game not a fucking movie you play it you dont watch it....
now if i saw jaggies in star wars or lord of the rings ...you bet your ass i would bitch

#9 Carlo210

Carlo210

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:30 PM

Id be content with basic anti aliasing, really. When you actually liek a game, the 'anti-aliasing' don't keep you going. It's probably one of the smallest details to be paid attention to in a game. Sure, it's nice to have everything look buttery smooth, but that's on top of beautiful shaders, textures, character models, physics, and animations.
Jaggie-freeness is nice to have but, personally, I could live with it. I have discerned it with my ps2 (no anti-aliasing whatsoever of any sort in 380i resolution, not 480i - typical high-end ps2 title). Once you really get engrossed in a game or are having fun, the jaggies dissapear while your eyes are glued to the center of your screen. Now that we are getting high-def resolutions, shaders galore, and at least the basic aax, some of you really shouldn't be complaining. Why don't you just run whatever you are watching your games on in a lower resolution or tone down the sharpness setting. Sure, it doesn't encompass the effects you get from anti-aliasing, but it SHOULD let you live one more day in your gaming life which, to some people, is a very shallow one.

No offense, guys.

#10 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE(Carlo210 @ Oct 7 2005, 04:41 PM)
Once you really get engrossed in a game or are having fun, the jaggies dissapear while your eyes are glued to the center of your screen.

View Post

thats true, to an extent. Going thru splinter cell 1 the 2nd time was brutal, thats all I noticed was jaggies, same goes for other games.

I wont stand for jaggies, its almost 2006 and AA was promised years ago.

fuggin Hell, Dreamcast didnt have a problem with it in 19fuggin99.

I played quake 3 a few months back on it and was floored at how good it ran and how smooth the lines were.

we have to start demanding/expecting more or the envelope will never be pushed.

I will toss the 360 faster than Ozy changes his mind if games start coming to me with jaggies that are *obvious*. I dont mind them here and there, but when they distract me, yes it detracts from the game I'm playing.

You dont play on a 77" screen, anyone who does will tell you they are a LOT more visible and putrid looking.

Im a MS fanboy to an extent, but when Peter Moore or Robbie(dont remember which) said jaggies are a thing of the past, I believed them. I still have that video from E3.

If its not true in "most" cases, and the majority of games dont utilize any AA, MS will go on the Sony list and I'll go back to PC gaming only. Id have no problem dropping consoles again, none whatsoever.

I can get all my favorite games on PC anyways, it just costs more sad.gif

#11 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:58 PM

its funny when i see ppl cry about disappointment.........after x05 i walked away more confident in the 360s power. Crappy looking started to look interesting all of a sudden and theyre just launch games (which is worse than first gen games).........anyways gameplay is always supreme and with all these great developers putting in work for the 360, im loving the nex gen biggrin.gif

#12 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE(incognegro @ Oct 7 2005, 05:09 PM)
its funny when i see ppl cry about disappointment.........after x05 i walked away more confident in the 360s power. Crappy looking started to look interesting all of a sudden and theyre just launch games (which is worse than first gen games).........anyways gameplay is always supreme and with all these great developers putting in work for the 360, im loving the nex gen biggrin.gif

View Post

Im very confident, I think thats obvious from my posts. I loved what came out of X05.

my topic about AA and its implementation covers the next 2 or 3 years.

if most games aren't smoothed out by that time and I see jaggies on the majority of them, Ill give me 360 away for free, after I blow the fuck out of it with the 12 gauge(some internals may survive).

#13 crobar

crobar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 11:29 PM

any one who cry about this AA shit si a fucking fag and needs to get a life...its a fucking game....A GAME i tell you if jaggy lines get you that worked up all gaming up till now must have given you a fucking stroke.

#14 Deftech

Deftech

X-S Transcendental

• XS-BANNED
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 11:44 PM

that might the lamest thing Ive read here in a year.

congrats...

calling someone a fag because their requirements for a game consists of little to no jaggies, that takes class.

congrats champ, keep up the good work.

if AA wasn't important, it wouldnt be offered in settings for your pc's gpu. And there would be no fuss made over the edram in the 360.

if I didnt care about a good picture, id still use VHS for movies, and not dvd in 480p.

and by that standard, noone should get hd dvd or blu ray just because the picture is cleaner and looks better right?

A good movie is made better by great sound and a great picture, the same applies to games.

again, Congrats.

#15 Carlo210

Carlo210

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:07 AM

Hahaha Go Deftech!
I'm all for getting rid of jaggies, I juat hope I made it clear that if we don't get 2x anti-aliasing, we still won't have the amount of jaggies we've seen in the current gen. I realize that some people, like you Deftech, want more (heck, I would too with a 72" screen). beerchug.gif

Anyways, speaking of 'sound', I don't think I'll be getting a surround sound setup anytime soon... TOO MANY FUGGING GAMES!

Edited by Carlo210, 08 October 2005 - 12:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users