4 replies to this topic

#1 a6w6h6g

a6w6h6g

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 06:19 AM

i have a 1.0 xbox and i believe a philips dvd drive. it's ridiculously loud when reading dvd-r discs. is there some way to quiet that a bit by any chance?

#2 Cold|Fusion

Cold|Fusion

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 09 October 2005 - 06:47 AM

Since the drive started operating more loudly than usual, have you experienced slower booting/load times when playing from media? The lense may be just dirty and may need a simple clean, which would explain the sudden increase in noise, if the lense is working harder to read/search media. It wouldn't hurt if you re-greased the dvd units guide poles at the same time. Cleaning of the lense with a Q-tip will suffice. Other than that, the drive may be near the end of it's days, and need replacing. Try cleaning, re-greasing first, as mentioned above, if that doesn't do it, you could try a pot tweak, but make sure to have a multi-meter handy, as if you push a pot to far, you risk killing the laser block entirely.

#3 Modderxtrordanare

Modderxtrordanare

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 October 2005 - 07:27 AM

Or it could be something as simple as the fan on the GPU

#4 psilo357

psilo357

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 07:28 AM

you may also want to try the POT mod on the drive, it is in the tutorials section. I did it on mine cause it was having trouble reading some brands of burnable dvd's, but now i havent found one it wont read

peace

#5 a6w6h6g

a6w6h6g

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 02:53 PM

ok i'll try what u guys recommended. i just thought it was weird cuz it only gets loud when it's reading dvd-r discs, not if it's reading retail xbox discs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users