#1 gamepin126

gamepin126

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 29 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:27 AM

Well, I pretty much dont know anything about modding gamecubes, except that Ive heard qoobs are the best to do. All I want to do is run homebrew/backups on it though. So I guess I would go with non-pro qoob? Anyone know how much they go for money wise? Also is it easy/is there tutorials laying around how to install it?

#2 atomiX

atomiX

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts
  • Interests:Doesn't matter...
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:15 PM

You can't be forced by anyone to use a certian chip, you need to choose on your own. There is a nice comparison page on ModThatCube. I will suggest either the Viper GC or the Qoob for anyone though.

#3 gamepin126

gamepin126

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:32 PM

Well after reading, I guess im going to try to softmod, didnt know that you could softmod it with Max Drive Pro or the Action Replay Evo Edition tongue.gif now I just have to find somewhere that actually sells one.

#4 buttface96

buttface96

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(gamepin126 @ Oct 17 2005, 08:43 AM)
Well after reading, I guess im going to try to softmod, didnt know that you could softmod it with Max Drive Pro or the Action Replay Evo Edition tongue.gif now I just have to find somewhere that actually sells one.

View Post

Softmods are for xboxes, not cubes...

#5 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie & Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:04 PM

you can soft mod your cube just fine and you can boot all the same media primarily off of your memory card.

Only advantage is a qoob pro has the built in mp3 player.. .woo who..
When yo ucould jsut make an sd card adapter which wil hold way more than a gc mod chip.

#6 XBL_SUCKS

XBL_SUCKS

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE(EverestX @ Oct 17 2005, 02:15 PM)
you can soft mod your cube just fine and you can boot all the same media primarily off of your memory card.

Only advantage is a qoob pro has the built in mp3 player.. .woo who..
When yo ucould jsut make an sd card adapter which wil hold way more than a gc mod chip.

View Post

Yeah it seams everyone has a MP3 player somewhere. I got like 10 in my house alone, everything from DVD players, Xbox's, actual MP3 players and even Shelf Systems. I would go with the Viper and screw the Soft Mod but thats just my opion

#7 ronetone

ronetone

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:38 PM

i'd get a chip, screw the soft mod biggrin.gif

#8 gamepin126

gamepin126

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:58 PM

Well, if theres no difference between softmod and hardmod besides the mp3 player... I think Id want a softmod.. All I really care about it playing backups, and sounds like softmod can do that. Anyone know where I could buy a "Max Drive Pro" for paypal? I guess if all else fails, I'll have to go with a chip.

#9 gamepin126

gamepin126

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 11:01 PM

EDIT: sry. double post.

Edited by gamepin126, 17 October 2005 - 11:04 PM.

#10 atomiX

atomiX

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 11:16 PM

There are differences. Booting takes a bit longer with a softmod since you first need to boot AR or MDP. You then run the homebrew bios/OS called GCOS and swap your AR/MDP disk for the backup disk. Chips are usually direct-boot so they load the game much more quickly. Compatibility may be an issue but less than it was a few months ago. There have been a few games that I've had problems booting with GCOS that booted fine with my Qoob. The great thing about GCOS though is that it's created by the GC community, not by chip makers. You can also boot GCOS from most chips if you were wondering.

Edited by atomiX, 17 October 2005 - 11:20 PM.

#11 gamepin126

gamepin126

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:37 AM

any cheap places to buy either the chip or the Max Drive Pro with paypal? tongue.gif

#12 XBL_SUCKS

XBL_SUCKS

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE(gamepin126 @ Oct 17 2005, 06:48 PM)
any cheap places to buy either the chip or the Max Drive Pro with paypal? tongue.gif

View Post

Lik-sang.com, Divineo or use BST-Scene.com

#13 gamepin126

gamepin126

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:00 AM

Wait.. can you softmod with an action replay? ohmy.gif

#14 gamepin126

gamepin126

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:59 AM

Nevermind, you can but you need alot more stuff.. Damn I wish there were stores/people out there that sold max drive pro besides datel sad.gif

#15 atomiX

atomiX

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:31 PM

You do need a bit more stuff to start off but only to prep your memory card. If you use action replay, you can either use an SD card (with adapter) and write the necessary files using your PC or if you know someone with a modded cube, you can ask them to prepare a regular memory card with Samson's loader. When the card is ready, all you really need is the action replay disk.

If you don't want to use an SD card or don't know anyone with a modded cube, you will need to get a broadband adapter with exploitable version of PSO to prep the mem card. If this is the case, it's better for you to get a chip since PSO+BBA will likely cost you more than a modchip unless you can find a cheap combo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users