X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, XBOX, GFX..
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 23 October 2005 - 04:50 AM

How many of u went to a technological high-school? Its that time in my life to pick my new school (high-school) and i was wondering what the experience was like to go to this kind of school. how many of you ended up having a profession in computers? and was it worth it?

any answers are greatly appreciated beerchug.gif

#2 Psykomantis00

Psykomantis00

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 02:00 PM

I did. It was definately fun. Way more fun that my high school was. Hell I only had 2 classes the first year and I had already gotten enough credits to graduate so I didnt have to do anything the second year. But instead of me going and doing nothing I was a teacher for IC3, its nothing big, but it definately is a certification to throw at someone when they ask if you know how to use emails and excel. I also got paid to fix computer and run the network along with the sys admin, pretty fun stuff.

When I graduated I had 6 extra credits and many certifications. I could get hired somewhere to be a high paid pc tech, if only they would hire me. A lot of the places around me just say Im over qualified and the ones that are interested I would have to move down there to work for them. Ive been out of school for maybe 5 months goin on 6 now, and havent found a job yet becasue of the hoopla of my certifications and moving. But its definately an experience you shouldnt pass up. Plus, girls from other schools will be there wink.gif If for not any other reason, do it for the chicks.

#3 jaydon34

jaydon34

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 October 2005 - 03:43 PM

I technically didnt go if that counts lol

#4 anon123

anon123

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:girls, modding and game hacking, girls, guitar, girls, skateboarding, girls, comp. prog....and girls

Posted 23 October 2005 - 05:57 PM

I'm not sure if this is a concern for you or not but most of the technical schools that I know of do not lead to college - rather, they teach you the skills that you need to know for the work you will be doing right out of high school. As a result, the specific work that you are doing is not as detailed as the work that say a college graduate might be doing, because they have not had the same training. For some people, that is exactly what they want, because they don't need to take the classes that will not help them (i.e. history) but just take classes like networking. However, there is certainly something to be said for a well-rounded education that can only come through the traditional high school-college route. They lead to higher-paying, but more difficult jobs, and you will know more as a person about more things.

It really comes down to where do you see your life heading. Do you think you are ambitious and plan on working really hard and "MUST" have an extremely high paying job, or do you feel that the extra work would be a waste of time since you never plan on going that far.

A good example comparing the two:
A student from a technical high school will be a systems administrator making 60k/yr (not bad money but that probably won't raise too much in the future)
A student from a university will be an electrical engineer making 120k/yr and have a much broader background and be able to fall back on their broad education.

The technical high school student will not have had to put too much work in to get where he is, but the student from the university has had a hard eight years of work including in subjects that do not directly relate to his field. The student from the university could easily get the technical high school student's job (although I am not sure why you would want to after putting in all that work), but the technical high school student could never get the university student's job (unless he got his GED and went to a university, which really defeats the entire purpose of the technical high school in the first place).

More education always leads to more choices. The question is do you need that education or is it unnecessary for what you want to do. It is a tough decision to make but you have to decide in what general direction do you see your life heading.

I hope I explained that well and that it was helpful.

edit: There are always chicks at parties which you can go to regardless of what school you go to, that shouldn't be your main concern with this choice. smile.gif

Edited by anon123, 23 October 2005 - 06:04 PM.

#5 Psykomantis00

Psykomantis00

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE(anon123 @ Oct 23 2005, 07:08 PM)
I'm not sure if this is a concern for you or not but most of the technical schools that I know of do not lead to college - rather, they teach you the skills that you need to know for the work you will be doing right out of high school.  As a result, the specific work that you are doing is not as detailed as the work that say a college graduate might be doing, because they have not had the same training.  For some people, that is exactly what they want, because they don't need to take the classes that will not help them (i.e. history) but just take classes like networking.  However, there is certainly something to be said for a well-rounded education that can only come through the traditional high school-college route.  They lead to higher-paying, but more difficult jobs, and you will know more as a person about more things.

It really comes down to where do you see your life heading.  Do you think you are ambitious and plan on working really hard and "MUST" have an extremely high paying job, or do you feel that the extra work would be a waste of time since you never plan on going that far.

A good example comparing the two:
A student from a technical high school will be a systems administrator making 60k/yr (not bad money but that probably won't raise too much in the future)
A student from a university will be an electrical engineer making 120k/yr and have a much broader background and be able to fall back on their broad education. 

The technical high school student will not have had to put too much work in to get where he is, but the student from the university has had a hard eight years of work including in subjects that do not directly relate to his field.  The student from the university could easily get the technical high school student's job (although I am not sure why you would want to after putting in all that work), but the technical high school student could never get the university student's job (unless he got his GED and went to a university, which really defeats the entire purpose of the technical high school in the first place).

More education always leads to more choices.  The question is do you need that education or is it unnecessary for what you want to do.  It is a tough decision to make but you have to decide in what general direction do you see your life heading.

I hope I explained that well and that it was helpful.

edit: There are always chicks at parties which you can go to regardless of what school you go to, that shouldn't be your main concern with this choice.  smile.gif

View Post

I went to a technical school while in high school. Its weird, but basically its multiple schools got together and anyone that wants to go can, but most people just stay at their home school. But going to the vocational school was the best decision I made, you can also still go to college btw, its not like its out of the question.

#6 anon123

anon123

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:girls, modding and game hacking, girls, guitar, girls, skateboarding, girls, comp. prog....and girls

Posted 23 October 2005 - 07:52 PM

Yeah I know you can still go to college, but it kind of defeats the purpose of the vocational school then - you go to vocational school to learn a vocation to be ready for right out of graduation, without college. For some people, that is what they want. I just think it's good to clarify what it is you are going towards, because most people go to vocational school because they don't need college for their chosen vocation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users