• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DougWykstra

DougWykstra

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:59 PM

Okay, I'm a complete newbie that knows nothing about how to set my Xbox to DHCP or even if that will help my problem. I have a regular unmodded Xbox, and the only thing I've done to it is get the old Thompson drive swapped out for a Samsung drive. My internet connection is over the dorm's LAN, and the school network is secure. I have put my computer's MAC address on my Xbox, so it should be able to get onto the network. I've also added the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Gateway of my computer onto the Xbox, as well as a primary and alternate DNS. When I try to connect to Xbox Live, I simply take the network cable out of the back of my computer and plug it into my Xbox. Whenever I try to connect, it says that it couldn't connect to Xbox Live, and the troubleshooter tells me to check my cables. This is crazy, because the cable I use for Xbox Live is the same one that's connecting me to the internet as I type this. What is the problem with my Xbox?

#2 DougWykstra

DougWykstra

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:23 AM

Hey, could someone help me with above problem? I really don't know what to do.

#3 bigbrd222

bigbrd222

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:57 AM

School firewall?

#4 StepsAscend

StepsAscend

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:08 AM

A. The network could be not allowing the xbox access because the MAC Address is a duplicate. Set it back to default.

B. Turn on your xbox, find network settings, and set everything to automatic.

C. If you still can't get it, contact whoever is in charge of IT at your school. I know at UGA they gave me instructions on setting mine up. They had to register the box's MAC in their system. They used a MAC filter to prevent unauthorized access.

D. If they for some reason don't allow Xboxes on the network, set it up to share your PC's connection. Pretty easy. Just set a router to your PC's MAC, and then hook your pc and xbox into it. Or add a second NIC to your PC and share.

Try that stuff. Use D as a last resort, since it requires more effort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users