Photo

Did You Mod Your Xbox?

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

Poll: Did you mod your Xbox?

Did you mod your Xbox?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#106 ferrari_rulz_02

ferrari_rulz_02

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,395 posts
  • Interests:my girfriend, then the xbox<br />and yes, it is in that order
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 November 2005 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE(c3tr4 @ Nov 1 2005, 06:16 PM)
softmod, the idea is to play for free period. if i'm going to go spend money i had might as well buy all the games and support the companies so they can continue to make them.

View Post

did you get the console for free?

#107 RELIC

RELIC

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:08 AM

Tsop, first and last choice, no reason at all to ever spend money to mod your box with XBC and Kai around. Dont get me wrong I've chipped plenty pf boxes and theres some nice extras but I dont think its worth it.

#108 awal

awal

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Interests:XBOX
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 November 2005 - 05:00 AM

Ive softmodded 10 friends xboxes and 2 of mine. All for free and in less than 5 mins each.

#109 Skyblast

Skyblast

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:anime, jpop, video games, technology, movies. basically anything that won't get me laid ;)

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:16 AM

Modchip. It's worth it, especially now with all of the addons they support. LCD display, etc.

Edited by Skyblast, 02 November 2005 - 06:16 AM.

#110 devilmaycry666

devilmaycry666

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 478 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:17 PM

I've done mod chips and softmods. I have to say the chip is best.

#111 scuzzell

scuzzell

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:XBOX... Duh

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:00 PM

I was originally going to do a 29 wire cheapmod but luckily for me Bert is cheating on Ernie was released while I was waiting for my flash rom chip to come in the mail.

After a couple months of using BicoE I flashed my TSOP, mainly so I could use my xbox to mod others. I just sit both boxes side by side and hotswap the hard drive of the unmodded one into mine (I'm too cheap to buy a MC when I don't need one smile.gif). I have an installer disk that I made using UnleashX that installs UXE2 + UnleashX + XBMC and some other software in about 10 minutes (from the removal of the first screw). I have done plenty of boxes for people that way and none of them use live so they don't care. I just tell them not to touch anything on the C drive and they're good.

There is really no advantage to using an older generation modchip over TSOP or exploits. It's really easy to upgrade the HDD with a chip or TSOP flash, but it's not that much more work to use XBOXHDM with an exploit. I like some of the features that the X3 and other next-gen chips offer such as backing up partitions to/from USB drive/samba/etc. I would gladly install an X3 to replace my TSOP for that kind of added functionality. But when it comes to modding other boxes UXE all the way.

#112 FallsInc

FallsInc

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:44 PM

i have done all of them to all of my boxes...

i've done 29 wire, current LPC mod chip (Smartxx V2 currently) my 1.6 gaming box is softmodded cause that works just fine for what i do with it. (Only games on the hard drive, which was upgraded with the help of my mod chip, flashed the 1.6 eeprom to my 1.4 locked 120gb hard drive to eeprom. then use chip to restore original eeprom.) then i;ve had tsop'd boxes too... its all been done under my sun. i have to say. if you know what you are doing, the softmod is very easy, but at the same time, very easy to fuck up. i'd still recommend a chip, and a tsop as the best mods.

heh.. i did get my 1.6 for free.. and the 120gb HD too.. so i'm rocking that xbox modded for free.

#113 caster420

caster420

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:06 AM

Tsop all the way. Very very simple and works great, espically on v1.0 and 1.1.

Caster.

#114 StormB

StormB

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE(iwanttheagrocrag @ Oct 30 2005, 12:40 AM)
TSOPs are great cuz there easy and free, but if you mess up you dont have a choice.

I disagree, it's virtually impossible to mess up a TSOP because of the minimal amount of soldering involved (its easier than a modchip).

If the flash messes up, then install a modchip instead and reflash once it's installed (if you want - or just leave the chip in).

Even if you mess up the soldering so bad that the points cant be joined, install a modchip instead.

Either way I can't see how it can be messed up?

Will

#115 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 03 November 2005 - 01:26 AM

My Dad solderd all these, but I know how to solder now, I did set-up all the software on these though.

2x X2CE's Xbox's
2X X3CE Xbox's
1X Xenium Xbox's

Edited by bucko, 03 November 2005 - 01:28 AM.

#116 dalezer

dalezer

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 04:42 AM

SpiderChip v1.0 beerchug.gif BooYAH!!

Modchips 4 life. jester.gif

#117 transist

transist

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 04:52 AM

I softmodded mine. I really don't wanna open my box to chip it and I dont have the money for a chip. When I get another xbox for 60$, I might chip it.
I still think softmodding is easy though. I even modified the installer so the whole setup is automatic and it installs it just the dash just the way I like it. =)

#118 sick_mate_xbox

sick_mate_xbox

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Interests:-Skateboarding<br />-My VT Commodore<br />-Xbox Modding<br />-Rachael :)<br />-Snakes
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:19 AM

i have had experiance with most modding methods but chips are definetly the way to go. softmodding etc. has boundaries, but with a chip your options are endless biggrin.gif xecuter3 all the way!

#119 Xbox2005

Xbox2005

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Mod : UXE + Nkpatcher 10<br />Xbox Dashboard : UnleashX and XBMC<br />Xbox region: NTSC/J
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:15 AM

Softmods Rock! Im not sure about chips as i have never tried them. It depends on your opinion. Softmods are enough for me as i use them to play backups or emulators and XBMC.Just the basic stuff.If you want extra features, get a chip.All mods have their own specialities and pros and cons!

#120 ferrari_rulz_02

ferrari_rulz_02

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,395 posts
  • Interests:my girfriend, then the xbox<br />and yes, it is in that order

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE(Xbox2005 @ Nov 3 2005, 06:26 PM)
Softmods Rock! Im not sure about chips as i have never tried them. It depends on your opinion. Softmods are enough for me

View Post

well thats right. why spend heaps on a brand new x3 if you wont use its features?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users