• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 beltrachi

beltrachi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 03:01 PM

It is not a question, I only explain my experience to the comunity.

Last week a lightning fell near home and damaged the vcr and the xbox.

The console has no warranty yet, and i can't use the house insurance 'cause it is softmoded and has an external dvd-rom, so it has a hole on the top to let out the power and ide buses.

So I decided to try to repair the psu. My psu is a Delta Electronics Inc. DPSN-96AP-1.
when I saw at the back of the psu card, i could see what happened. The lightning left marks where it passed.

IPB Image

The damaged parts I could see at first look were 2 of a group of four resistances which had a part burned. And the tester confirmed that. But with the tester i coud see that the fuse (obbiously! biggrin.gif) was fused.

IPB Image

Parts damaged and changed:

- 2 resistances of 1MOhm
- 1 fuse (T3.15A 250v)

Lukly no other part seems to be damaged, although the lightning trace reaches the diode bridge tongue.gif

It works. I let the console powered on for six hours, and nothing strange happened.

I hope it can be helpfull for someone 'cause i didn't find a lot of help on the net.
If someone don't want to repair it, i found a web to buy a new one: lik-sang.
And it's not the only place. Google can help.

Edited by xboxgamer733, 06 April 2007 - 06:13 AM.

#2 sick_mate_xbox

sick_mate_xbox

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Interests:-Skateboarding<br />-My VT Commodore<br />-Xbox Modding<br />-Rachael :)<br />-Snakes
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 November 2005 - 07:05 AM

thanks for that, i got an xbox that had a dead PSU after a lighting strike (that was what i was told) so maybe in the near future i will try out your tutorial and let you know how it goes! thanks! biggrin.gif

#3 karlwmiller

karlwmiller

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:48 AM

hi just thaught id say that my friend had the same happento his xbox, bugger aint it

#4 FallsInc

FallsInc

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:13 AM

and thats why i invest in power filters. i've spent about 100 dollars on 3 of them, and that is a very very small price to pay to protect my nearly $10,000 of computer and electronics equipment. my audio system alone is worth 1300, computer is around 2700 not including moniter, and other shit too.

#5 djmart6914

djmart6914

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 104 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:24 PM

Insted of doing all of that, why not purchase a good quality UPS or Surge Protector? Good tutorial though, it most likely will never happen to me. Next question is, what exactly did you have your xbox plugged into?

#6 beltrachi

beltrachi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE(djmart6914 @ Dec 5 2005, 02:31 PM)  

Insted of doing all of that, why not purchase a good quality UPS or Surge Protector? Good tutorial though, it most likely will never happen to me. Next question is, what exactly did you have your xbox plugged into?

You are right. I didn't have a surge protector but i didn't have any problem before. Lightnings are very rare here and most people don't use it. My house insurance would have paid it if it wouldn't be modded. The video casette recorder died too and they paid it.

Anyway, i've bought a filter. tongue.gif

#7 djmart6914

djmart6914

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 12:50 AM

For my computer,monitor, and cable modem, I have them protected with a APC UPS. Which will cover up to $50,000 if the UPS should fail.

#8 kingdead57

kingdead57

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:21 PM

Hello. I'm pretty sure after reading through those posts taht my power supply's fuse blew also but not by lightning, why I'm not sure. Though does it matter which kind of parts you would use to repair your power supply? Mine is a Delta Electronics DPSN-96BP. Does that matter at all? But mine blew at what looks like the AC current as you put. Could you help me out, I haven't played my 220 gb soft mod in 7 months, I'm dying here lol.

IPB Image

#9 beltrachi

beltrachi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:56 AM

Kingdead57, sorry for the time past.

First, I'll try to response:

does it matter which kind of parts you would use to repair your power supply?

I don't know if I certainly understand it, but if you mean if you can pick any component with near specs, no. I don't recommend it. If you change a resistance of 1Mohm with a tolerance of 2% with one of 10% it can be bad.

Try to find a fuse with the same specs as the one in your board.

I don't understand how you deduce that it is the PSU.

And I think that there is something very strange on your pic.
IPB Image
What was 4 resistances, in your one, seems like them are short circuited. I supose that it's not been made by you, is it?

To be sure that is the fuse what causes the fail, get a tester. If is it, buy one with the same specs.

Good luck.

You posted more than 2 weeks ago, so I supose that you got your machine repaired anyway.

#10 FallsInc

FallsInc

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:33 AM

7 monthes????

damn... just buy a new power supply... its like 20 bucks...

#11 Mr_t883

Mr_t883

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:04 AM

hey guys,

My house recently had some voltage surges, I unplugged everything at the time but it was too late. From the reading I took the voltage across only dropped below 120 but I gues that may be enough to do damage. anyhow my delta dpsn-96DP looks in need of some love. I have a buddys old xbox (with fried circuit board but good delta board) however his Delta is a dpsn-96AP. I was just going to swap em over however my adapter to the ciruit board was two layers with 16 wires, while his is a single layer with 13 wires, so I can't even use my adapter plug on his board, I was going to butt splice them together but which wires get combined? not sure what I should do or can do.

If could get info on what those extra 3 wires are for a but splice and mickey mouse something there or simply try to repair my board. theres a couple things that look in need of replacement.

Just wondering what the pros think... let me know

I got pics of what I described but was unable to attach them, I guess you gotta have them on the net in order allow veiwing, if you want I email em to you.

Tyler

#12 raceboy404

raceboy404

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:28 AM

i have the same issue,
on the top, looka bout 1 inch from the black female port
see the two restiors- one is blown and coverd the other one.
biggrin.gif (i got a xbox from a friend- by my suprise^ and a samsung A DRIVE!!!

#13 Loser_guy

Loser_guy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:41 AM

Um, what's wrong when the xbox automicly comes on when it's plugged in?

#14 goleafsgo_21

goleafsgo_21

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, eh<br />Moddin' Xbox
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:34 AM

my ps broke should i get a new one or fix it

#15 Shadowed

Shadowed

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 03:18 PM

in regards to the comment about this pic
IPB Image
i have an aussie DPSN-96BP-1 and unlike the earlier DPSN-96AP(-1) they use 2 resistors instead of 4 so there is no short circuit.

hey guys,

My house recently had some voltage surges, I unplugged everything at the time but it was too late. From the reading I took the voltage across only dropped below 120 but I gues that may be enough to do damage. anyhow my delta dpsn-96DP looks in need of some love. I have a buddys old xbox (with fried circuit board but good delta board) however his Delta is a dpsn-96AP. I was just going to swap em over however my adapter to the ciruit board was two layers with 16 wires, while his is a single layer with 13 wires, so I can't even use my adapter plug on his board, I was going to butt splice them together but which wires get combined? not sure what I should do or can do.

the DPSN-96AP is a 1.0-1.1 psu and the DPSN-96DP is a v1.6/1.6B psu it is incompatable as it uses different voltages as the earlier xbox's, just buy a replacement off ebay they're cheap enough

Edited by Shadowed, 15 February 2006 - 03:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users